Can't Play Videos

openSuse 11.3

I have just noticed that I can’t play any of my avi, mp4 or even ogv files.
I get audio but no video.

This sort of points to a missing codec, but when I go into YaST I already appear to have the necessary ones (doesn’t openSuse come with most out of the box anyway?).
The file I am currently most interested in is (I believe) an Xvid.

I already had libxvid4 but added xvidcore when it didn’t work but this didn’t help.

I have packman in the repos (does it come by default in 11.3?)

I installed vlc-qt to see if I could play it with VLC instead of Kaffeine but that didn’t help either.

I’m slightly perplexed :frowning:

If you haven’t already, you should try this guide - scroll down for 11.3 instructions:

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

Please follow it exactly. :wink:

Top stuff. Thanks.

Interestingly though, before I followed it, I noticed that Dolphin was able to provide thumbnail views of the content.

Also afterwards, the files still don’t work in Kaffeine or VLC.
Most work in SMPlayer except for the ogv which crashes and I have to use xine to open.

It almost seems to be a Media Player issue; the files installed were:
The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
libavcore0 libfluidsynth1 libftgl2 liblash1 libprojectM2 libquicktime0 projectM smplayer vlc xine-ui xosd

The following packages are going to be upgraded:
ffmpeg libavcodec52 libavdevice52 libxine1 libxine1-codecs

Maybe SMPlayer should be included by default in the next version of openSuse…

Assuming you followed my guide correctly and did this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Switcher%20Pics/packman.jpg

But even so, it might be worth going thru the packman packages manually to make sure they are from Packman.
View by Repos and select packman - examine each package for the ‘pm’ in the package-name
Eg: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Switcher%20Pics/version-radio-button-QT.png

Hello all,

I’m having a bit of trouble playing videos as well now that I actually installed all the necessary codecs as suggested in the tutorial below. Basically, what happened was when I first installed openSUSE11.3 on my system, I installed a couple of codecs and away I went, and then while visiting some other websites like apple, etc., I needed to install the mpeg and H.264 codecs. Now, when visiting these sites, the videos do not play automaticallly like before. I got one to play but I was only able to make it play by downloading it and launching smplayer then opening it from the Downloads directory in smplayer. How do I go about fixing this?

Best Regards,

freesparks

Try adding reddwarf’s repo, it’s mentioned in my guide:
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

Install gecko-mediaplayer and gnome-mplayer

If that doesn’t solve it, you may need to look at gstreamer packages and or a package called ‘pv’ fro this repo
Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.3:/Contrib/standard

That seems to have done it!
Thanks.

Good news. Well done!