Can't install Nvidia Graphics drivere on my TP W520

Hi

I’ve just acquired an Lenovo ThinkPad W520, installed openSuSE 11.4 - and tried to install the Nvidia driver… but the X won’t start at next reboot due to the following error: "GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors’ "

Some details:

MyLaptop:/ # cat /etc/SuSE-release
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11.4
CODENAME = Celadon

MyLaptop:/ # lspci |grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0dda (rev a1)

35: PCI 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: “nVidia Quadro 2000M”
Vendor: pci 0x10de “nVidia Corporation”
Device: pci 0x0dda “Quadro 2000M”
SubVendor: pci 0x17aa “Lenovo”
SubDevice: pci 0x21d1
Revision: 0xa1

20: PCI 02.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: “Intel VGA compatible controller”
Vendor: pci 0x8086 “Intel Corporation”
Device: pci 0x0126
SubVendor: pci 0x17aa “Lenovo”
SubDevice: pci 0x21d1
Revision: 0x09

I’ve tried to install drivers as described at: SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE - both with click install, and the repositorie way, I blacklisted the “nouveau” driver and “NO_KMS_IN_INITRD” is set to yes!

But no luck.

anyone with good ideas?

regards
'Adder

Is this a hybrid graphics fitted laptop with two graphic devices ? (intel and nVidia) ?

If so, you could try bumblebee for GNU/Linux. I ran across this post: Bumblebee brings nvidia optimus GPU switching to Linux users | OMG! Ubuntu!

There is more detail here: Linux Hybrid Graphics: Testers needed: intel/nvidia: bumblebee now with 32bit and 64bit support

Where in turn for openSUSE-11.4 someone has packaged this: software.opensuse.org: Search Results and I quote:

Bumblebee is Optimus support for Linux, with real offloading, and not switchable graphics… More important… it works on Optimus Laptops without a graphical multiplexer…

Also, an openSUSE forum user wrote this on how to use bumblewee with openSUSE
Getting maximum battery time from an ASUS eeePC 1015pn

Now they wrote that for asus, but I think it generic to be applicable to other brand names.

On 07/17/2011 01:06 AM, Atrax wrote:
>
> error: "GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum
> number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors’ "
>
> anyone with good ideas?

what did you find useful (or not) when you checked the X server log for
errors?

DD
Caveat-Hardware-Software
openSUSE®, the BMW® of operating systems!