Can't get mic to work

I am trying to get my mic working for voice chat on DDo, but I have had no luck so far. I have a headset with a microphone on it, but I don’t seem to be able to get it to record. the audio out put works though. Any ideas?

There is advice for configuring a mic here:
Microphone - openSUSE
in particular, when testing, use the program arecord from a terminal as follows:

arecord -vv -fdat foo.wav

where “foo.wav” is an arbitrary name … you could use instead “anyname.wav”

You need to be precise and exact when setting up your mixer so that your mic will record. So please set your mixer up carefully.

If you fail after trying the above, then we will need more information, in which case please set your mixer exactly how you think it should be set up, and then provide the information recommended to be provided in the 2nd half of the multimedia stickie : Welcome to multimedia sub-area - openSUSE Forums

I quote:

post in this … providing in your post the following information:

• provide the URLs (of a summary webpage) that are created by running the diagnostic script noted here:
    SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE - Script to run to obtain detailed information. On openSUSE-11.1 and newer that will ask you to run the script /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh and after the script finishes it will give you a URL to pass to the support personnel. Please post here the output URL. Just the URL. You may need to run that script twice (the first time with root permissions to update in the /usr/sbin directory, and the second time to get the URL).
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.1 or earlier, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.2 or later, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

Go to mixer make sure the microphone is captured, be sure capture is also capture. Note you may need to add that control go to settings and add the capture control and then that the capture box is checked.

O.k. I have been working on this more. I tried arecord and had no luck, the mic works though, as i tried it on another computer. Here are the outputs of the commands that are needed:

1. http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fd42a28d83fb4029fd8fc23feed0c270c5fda6cc

2. alsa-1.0.22-4.1
    java-1_6_0-sun-alsa-1.6.0.u18-0.1.1
    python-alsaaudio-0.5-0.pm.1.1
    alsa-firmware-1.0.20-10.1
    alsa-plugins-jack-32bit-1.0.22-4.5
    alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.22-4.5
    alsa-plugins-1.0.22-4.5
    alsa-utils-1.0.21-8.2
    alsa-driver-kmp-default-1.0.22.1.20100304_2.6.27.45_0.1-3.1
    alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-52.1
    alsa-devel-1.0.22-4.1
    alsa-tools-1.0.22-2.1
    alsa-tools-gui-1.0.22-2.1
    alsa-plugins-jack-1.0.22-4.5
    alsa-oss-1.0.17-52.1

3. libpulse0-0.9.14-2.2.1
    libpulse0-32bit-0.9.14-2.2.1

4. libasound2-1.0.22-4.1

5. Linux linux-eo5c 2.6.27.45-0.1-default #1 SMP 2010-02-22 16:49:47 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

6. alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=alc_jack

I hope this helps some.

Ok, I note a 64-bit openSUSE-11.1 with a 2.6.27.45-0.1-default kernel and an update to 1.0.22 of alsa with an ALC655 hardware audio codec on your pc.

I did a search on the alsa web site to see if there were any updates relevant to the ALC655, and did not see any. I also searched in the ALSA documentation HD-Audio-Models.txt file if there were any entries for an ALC655 and I did not see any.

Next, I looked at your PC’s mixer settings (as documented by the diagnostic script), and I have some questions …

**!!Amixer output
**!!-------------

!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [AMD8111]

Card hw:0 ‘AMD8111’/‘AMD AMD8111 with ALC655 at irq 17’
Mixer name : ‘Realtek ALC655 rev 0’
Simple mixer control ‘Line’,0
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] -34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] -34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control ‘Mic’,0
Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
Front Left: Capture [on]
Front Right: Capture [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Mic Boost ( 20dB)’,0
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Mic Select’,0
Items: ‘Mic1’ ‘Mic2’
Item0: ‘Mic1’
Simple mixer control ‘IEC958’,0
Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control ‘Aux’,0
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] -34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] -34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control ‘Mono Output Select’,0
Items: ‘Mix’ ‘Mic’
Item0: ‘Mix’
Simple mixer control ‘Capture’,0
Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Mix’,0
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control ‘Mix Mono’,0
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control ‘Channel Mode’,0
Items: ‘2ch’ ‘4ch’ ‘6ch’
Item0: ‘2ch’
Is this an external mic? Your PC appears to have two mic ports … mic1 and mic2. Have you plugged the mic into the correct one? (you appear to have mic1 selected). There is a digital capture which may be applicable to an internal digital mic if this is a laptop and that is switched off. Is this a laptop ?

You have various capture controls for the mixer OFF, … please confirm they should be OFF. …

… and finally when using arecord, I recommend this: Microphone - openSUSE
which recommends

where “foo.wav” is a file that will be recorded in the directory in which you were located at the command prompt of the terminal/konsole. The -vv option means the verbose output just like aplay, -fdat means 48kHz, 2-channel, 16bit format. It shows a VU-peak meter, so you will see usually what is being recorded. Push Ctrl-C to quit the recording; otherwise it’ll continue endlessly. After finishing the recording, try to play back the file via aplay again.

1. alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

Why do you have ac97_quirk=alc_jack selected ? Is that essential ? What happens if you remove it, reboot and test?

Is this an external mic? Your PC appears to have two mic ports … mic1 and mic2. Have you plugged the mic into the correct one? (you appear to have mic1 selected). There is a digital capture which may be applicable to an internal digital mic if this is a laptop and that is switched off. Is this a laptop ?

You have various capture controls for the mixer OFF, … please confirm they should be OFF. …

It is not a laptop, I have a mic port on the front and rear and I have tried both. As to the captures being off, I have no idea. If I click on the mixer, I have front, surround, center, pcm,mic, mic boost, and capture. It looks like the mic and mic boost are currently muted, I don’t know why I didn’t set them that way, but I know during testing I made sure they weren’t.

I did arecord as you described before, it oddly picks up the static when i touch the mic cord, or when I plug it in, but not the voice (and I tried practically screeming in to it. Like I said though, it is not the mic itself as it worked on another computer just fine.

Why do you have ac97_quirk=alc_jack selected ? Is that essential ? What happens if you remove it, reboot and test?

I have no idea what that is, do you mean remove it from the config file?

If your mixer is kmix, you can control the channels that are presented by going to kmix > settings > configure channels

How did it get there ?

What is the output of:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

Do you see in that file “ac97_quirk=alc_jack” . Typically that has to be deliberately entered by someone in to the file. If you did not enter that, then I have to ask, how did it get there? Perhaps there is some automated process that is new to me ?

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 01:26:01 GMT, hito kiri <hito_kiri@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>> Is this an external mic? Your PC appears to have two mic ports … mic1
>> and mic2. Have you plugged the mic into the correct one? (you appear to
>> have mic1 selected). There is a digital capture which may be applicable
>> to an internal digital mic if this is a laptop and that is switched off.
>> Is this a laptop ?
>>
>> You have various capture controls for the mixer OFF, … please confirm
>> they should be OFF. …
>
>It is not a laptop, I have a mic port on the front and rear and I have
>tried both. As to the captures being off, I have no idea. If I click
>on the mixer, I have front, surround, center, pcm,mic, mic boost, and
>capture. It looks like the mic and mic boost are currently muted, I
>don’t know why I didn’t set them that way, but I know during testing I
>made sure they weren’t.
>
>I did arecord as you described before, it oddly picks up the static
>when i touch the mic cord, or when I plug it in, but not the voice (and
>I tried practically screeming in to it. Like I said though, it is not
>the mic itself as it worked on another computer just fine.
>
>> Why do you have ac97_quirk=alc_jack selected ? Is that essential ? What
>> happens if you remove it, reboot and test?
>
>I have no idea what that is, do you mean remove it from the config
>file?

Being mainly a hardware guy, i will ask: What size in your microphone
plug and the corresponding jacks you are using? It sounds like you
have a microphone with a 1/10" (2.5 mm) plug plugged into 1/8" (3.5 mm)
jacks. Adapters are available, though they may not be easy to find.

If your mixer is kmix, you can control the channels that are presented by going to kmix > settings > configure channels

Do I need any more channels, I would really like to not have anymore than I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito_kiri View Post
I have no idea what that is, do you mean remove it from the config file?
How did it get there ?

What is the output of:
Code:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

Do you see in that file “ac97_quirk=alc_jack” . Typically that has to be deliberately entered by someone in to the file. If you did not enter that, then I have to ask, how did it get there? Perhaps there is some automated process that is new to me ?

I have no idea how it got there, I don’t remember modifying anything. I also don’t have the 50-sound.conf file, I have sound and sound~, but here are the outputs of both of them:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound~
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
ac97_quirk=alc_jack

Being mainly a hardware guy, i will ask: What size in your microphone
plug and the corresponding jacks you are using? It sounds like you
have a microphone with a 1/10" (2.5 mm) plug plugged into 1/8" (3.5 mm)
jacks. Adapters are available, though they may not be easy to find.

No it is a 3.5mm.

My mistake, … 50-sound.conf is for 11.2 and you have 11.1.

I recommend you delete the sound~ file, as openSUSE-11.1 will try to load EVERY file in the /etc/modprobe.d directory, no matter what the name.

try changing the above to this:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0 

restart and test.

Reference adding extra channels to your mixer, … add as many as needed (maybe even some extras). Once you have this sorted you can remove those that are not required.

Well, it appears that I finally got it working. It must have had something to do with what I removed. Thank you for the help, now lets hope it works in wine, though I have also found that voice chat doesn’t seem to work at all when running DDo under wine, though some people have no problem.

Actually I take it back, it was workign for a bout 2 minutes now it is not.

What is your criteria for (1) saying it is working, and (2) saying it is no longer working >

Apologies, my hearing is fading as of late (old age does that to you) and between the road noise outside my window, and my wife talking in my other ear, I can’t hear your PC sound as you tap at the keyboard (although from the read of it, neither can you … :open_mouth: ). Sorry - morning humour and I could not resist.

I think you need to pay attention to your mixer settings : PCM, Master, and Speaker volume (if applicable). Also, Linux is not very good for multiple applications sharing one audio device, so you could check to see what application is using your audio device. This is a command for that:

lsof /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/snd/*

also, if you think a device has seized your audio, it is not letting go, and you can not figure out how to “kill” it, another approach is to restart your sound driver with:

su -c 'rcalsasound restart'

and enter root password when prompted and also restart your mixer (kmix in kde and alsamixer in gnome)

I had the mic working for about 2 minutes before, by that I mean I could record something and it played back clearly. I don’t know what happened, but I tried using it with rosetta stone in wine, and though it was detecting the input, it was not detecting it clear enough to pass the configuration test. So I closed RS and tried Krecord again and it would not record anything at all. I have tried every manner of settings and nothing seems to be working. There has to be some way to get it to work because obviously it worked once.

What you NEED to do, is next time you get it working, with your mixer open, is press PRINT SCREEN and keep a record of the settings.

You could provide me the output of running:

amixer > my-mixer.txt

and open my-mixer.txt in a text editor and post it on PasteBin.be and press dump on that site. It will give you a URL. Post the URL here. Do NOT paste that entire output on this thread. Just the URL.

I can then look at the settings to see if I can spot anything obvious.

Do not forget to use

when testing.

Well, the weird thing is that I didn’t change the settings at all from the time it was working to when it stopped.

Here is the link: PasteBin.be

Was there a restart inbetween? because your settings could have been reset upon restarting. In addition, did you run another multimedia app inbetween, because that also could cause unexpected effects.

This amixer output you gave above has DIFFERENT mixer settings from the 1st mixer output you provided that was contained within the “alsa-info.sh” diagnostic script output. Which is correct? I think you need to check this. For example, in one mixer output you had “mic1” selected. In the other “mic2” selected. Which is it to be?

In one mixer output you have “Simple Mixer Control” OFF, in the other you had it “ON”. Again, which is it to be?

There are many other capture settings OFF. Is that where they belong? You need to confirm they are not relevant to your mic.

I figure the wine app grabbed the hardware and did not let it go. try a reboot.

There was no restart in between when it worked and when it didn’t, just trying to use rosetta stone. I did restart after modifying that one configuration file like you said.

The mixer settings are different from what I had before because I was changing around trying to get it to work, though what I have it set at now is what it was when it was working. I don’t see a simple mixer control in the channels in the mixer, so I have no idea about that. I also tried determining which channels have mic capture, but I am not too sure, though I am going to try adding them all and figuring it out.

Also, I ran the command to see what processes have control of audio and the only one listed is kmix.