Canon LiDE 30 Scanner

The Canon LiDE 30 scanner used to work in openSuse, but now it’s not listed in Yast2. The first setup I tried started to scan, but the “Aquire Images” software locks up. Does anyone know if this will still work? I don’t use it often, so I don’t want to buy a new scanner. If all else fails, I’ll use it on (perish the thought) Windows. I’m using openSuse 12.1 64 bit. I have to say, this version of openSuse is a bit disappointing for this and other reasons.

I’ve just checked the SANE supported scanners list, and as you’ve noted, your scanner model is no longer explicitly supported by an open source driver (although it may be supported by a similar model Canon driver if you’re lucky).

I have to say, this version of openSuse is a bit disappointing for this and other reasons.

Your scanner issue is not openSUSE-specific, it is a ‘Linux-wide’ issue.

If you want this fixed, you should contact the sane project people as mentioned on the page I linked to

If you have new information or corrections, please file a bug report with as many details as possible. Also please tell us if your scanner isn't mentioned in this list at all.

SANE - Reporting Bugs

Correction: Although, not listed as a supported scanner, a little online searching shows that your scanner may be supported by the plustek backend (which supports a variety of brands and models utilising particular chipsets)

For more info

man sane-plustek

sane-plustek.5

What is reported by the following commands when you plug in your scanner?

sane-find-scanner
scanimage -L

To get your scanner to properly recognised, it may be necessary to edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf so that the ‘plustek’ entry is uncommented.

So you’ll see

#plustek

and it needs to be edited so that the #character is removed

plustek

I hope this works for you.

I tried the scanner on my old PC (openSuse 11.4 32 bit) and noticed I had Xsane installed, and that worked. So I installed it on the new PC, and that works, too! It’s been a while since I used the scanner, but I suspect I had the same problem before, until I installed Xsane. So, it turns out it was just the scanning software that was at fault. I’ve been using Linux for maybe 15 years or more, and am amazed at how frustrating it can be, until it’s tweaked. I always dread upgrading to the next version. Anyway, I’m happy now. Thanks anyhoo!

So, it turns out it was just the scanning software that was at fault. I’ve been using Linux for maybe 15 years or more, and am amazed at how frustrating it can be, until it’s tweaked. I always dread upgrading to the next version. Anyway, I’m happy now. Thanks anyhoo!

No worries. :slight_smile:

FWIW, I only use xsane for scanning, so there could well be some bug concerning the other ‘AquireImages’ front-end that I’m not aware of.