Hi all
Suse Leap 16.0. Yesterday I applied the lates updates, they are the recent ones since previous update happened three days ago. But there were a lot of packages. This morning I could not start any virtualbox VM. The error message says that the hypevisor is already in use. But the background log says that VirtualBox cannot enable the AMD-V extensions.
In the VirtualBox settings I tried to change the System → Acceleration to “KVM” and to “None”. Both of the times I got the same error.
This is the log:
00:00:01.334400 GIM: KVM: Resetting MSRs
00:00:01.337657 vmmR3LogFlusher: Terminating (VERR_OBJECT_DESTROYED)
00:00:01.356828 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={6ac83d89-6ee7-4e33-8ae6-b257b2e81be8} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={The VBoxGuestPropSvc service call failed with the error VERR_INVALID_STATE}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-79
00:00:01.487996 VMSetError: /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/virtualbox-7.2.20-build/VirtualBox-7.2.20/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/VMR3.cpp(341) int VMR3Create(uint32_t, PCVMM2USERMETHODS, uint64_t, PFNVMATERROR, void*, PFNCFGMCONSTRUCTOR, void*, VM**, UVM**); rc=VERR_SVM_IN_USE
00:00:01.488005 VMSetError: VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot
00:00:01.488649 ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={6ac83d89-6ee7-4e33-8ae6-b257b2e81be8} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={AMD-V is being used by another hypervisor (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).
00:00:01.488657 VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot (VERR_SVM_IN_USE)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-4054
I am using the default kernel:
localhost:~> uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 6.12.0-160000.38-default #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Sep 14 23:00:16 UTC 2026 (1a5df4e) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
These are the packages in use:
S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository
---+--------------------------------+---------+---------------------------------------+--------+------------------
i+ | virtualbox | package | 7.2.20-lp160.1.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss (16.0)
v | virtualbox | package | 7.2.6-lp160.1.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss (16.0)
------------------------------ Uninstalled omitted -------------------------------------------------------------
i+ | virtualbox-kmp-default | package | 7.2.4_k6.12.0_160000.8-Virt.1600.2.10 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
i+ | virtualbox-kmp-default | package | 7.2.20_k6.12.0_160000.38-lp160.1.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss (16.0)
i+ | virtualbox-kmp-default | package | 7.2.6_k6.12.0_160000.28-lp160.1.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss (16.0)
i+ | virtualbox-qt | package | 7.2.20-lp160.1.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss (16.0)
v | virtualbox-qt | package | 7.2.6-lp160.1.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss (16.0)
------------------------------ Uninstalled omitted -------------------------------------------------------------