cannot save preferences on leap 15.2 kde-live-usb

Hello.
I am running an asus strix computer (Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz; Memory: 31,2 GiB of RAM)

I would like to save preferences when I run the leap 15.2 live openSUSE-Leap-15.2-KDE-Live-x86_64 on an usb stick.
( keyboard layout, Time zone, … )

When I make change, the system freeze.

Any help is welcome.

System preferences are stored in various files under / and user preferences in dot files under /home/<user>/. There may be a problem saving the files to the Live USB because of the way the permissions are organised but, in any case, if you copy them to another USB, they will not be available when you next boot. So you would still have to re-enter them.

Rather than running the Live version, you could in theory install Leap to a 64GB USB and configure the BIOS to boot from it. What are you trying to achieve?

Is the USB FAT/NTFS?? this could be a problem

The usb is wipeout during the copy of the ‘.iso’ as said by imagewriter.
So the format of the usb should be what it should be ( from my opinion :wink: )

I know where preferences are kept on normal system. Here i am speaking of a live usb system.

If you install the os on an usb key, it should not run on another hardware. So from this point, you must have as many USB flash drives as you have computers.

What I am looking for is a live usb system which detect the hardware, make necessary hardware config then apply my preference without having to make it at each boot ( keyboard layout as one example )

I advise against saving preferences that make the system freeze :stuck_out_tongue:

Typically, on a live USB, a “hybrid” partition is created and used as an overlay (“overlayfs” I think). So preferences and other changes are saved in that overlay. This mostly works, though you cannot update kernel or boot parameters that way (those are used before the overlay partition is mounted).

Hi
No issues seen here with Live GNOME or Rescue USB, add software (no kernel though), set passwords etc…

Best to head to SUSE Studio Express and build your own preload system…

SUSE Studio Express

Thank you all for your comments.