Cannot run VirtualBox on openSUSE 12.3

I have been out of the openSUSE ecosystem for awhile (work requires Windows), but am in the need to break free from the Microsoft system as much as I can and am trying to live off of openSUSE and run a Windows VM through VirtualBox (or XEN, if that works any better, can’t get either to work)

I install all the necessary programs and libraries, follow all instructions I can find in forums, and even have tried 64vs32 bit installations to see if it makes any difference, but nothing works. I am thinking it is a problem with VB and the 3.7 kernel, but I can’t verify anything concretely.

When I try to start a VM, I get the following:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
‘/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup’
as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

So I try to execute the driver setup as recommended:

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules done
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules done
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS failed
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules failed
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

And the log:

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/build modules
make -C /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16-obj/x86_64/desktop
KBUILD_SRC=/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16
KBUILD_EXTMOD=“/tmp/vbox.0” -f /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16/Makefile
modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (
echo >&2;
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.“;
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.”;
echo >&2 " Run ‘make oldconfig && make prepare’ on kernel src to fix it.";
echo >&2 ;
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make -f /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16/scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
cut gcc lines for space
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘rtR0MemObjNativeMapUser’:
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1460:38: error: ‘VM_RESERVED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1460:38: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[4]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [module/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2

I cannot figure out why I have so many problems on a clean install, when upon installation, this is the ONLY thing I have tried to do. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? Saw what I thought was a solution, but following their steps exactly made no difference whatsoever. I tried installing DKMS, it had its own problems, no change in final result

Are you installing Virtualbox from the openSUSE repos or from files downloaded from the Oracle wesite?
Hint - Not always but almost the openSUSE repo install is going to work.

TSU

Please post:

zypper se -si virtual vbox kernel
uname -a

I am having basically the same issue. I came across this thread so I am posting here instead of creating a new one. Here is the output of those commands:

Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository
–±------------------±--------±---------------------------±-------±--------------------
i | VirtualBox-4.2 | package | 4.2.16_86992_openSUSE114-1 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
i | kernel-desktop | package | 3.7.10-1.16.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-12.3-Update
i | kernel-desktop | package | 3.7.10-1.1.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-12.3-Oss
i | kernel-desktop | package | 3.7.10-1.1.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-12.3-1.7
i | kernel-firmware | package | 20130114git-1.2.1 | noarch | openSUSE-12.3-Oss
i | kernel-firmware | package | 20130114git-1.2.1 | noarch | openSUSE-12.3-1.7
i | nfs-kernel-server | package | 1.2.7-2.10.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-12.3-Update

Linux openSUSE-Linux.Lab 3.7.10-1.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 31 20:21:23 UTC 2013 (97c14ba) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any help would be appreciated. I am guessing I am missing or need to update something?

You have to install:

zypper in kernel-source kernel-devel kernel-syms make gcc

I ran zypper and installed the packages successfully. I went to make my virtual machine and received abort code 1 again. Here is the output:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

‘/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup’

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

Do as it says!
Run ‘/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup’ again, as root.
This is necessary after every kernel update.

Oh and “kernel-desktop-devel” was missing in the list above. I think you would have to install that as well.

Or uninstall VirtualBox and install the packages included in openSUSE. You don’t have to do that with those, they contain a precompiled kernel module.

Oh and “kernel-desktop-devel” was missing in the list above. I think you would have to install that as well.

kernel-desktop-devel is a dependency of kernel-syms.

Therefore it should be installed with the above zypper-command.

But we don´t know, if all kernel-Versions are the same.

If the Installation is not working, please post:

zypper se -si kernel
uname -a

Yes, you’re right. Sorry…

But why did you include kernel-devel then? This is a dependency of both kernel-desktop-devel and kernel-syms…:stuck_out_tongue:

I have seen it, after you have posted.

Now I know, that I only have to install kernel-syms and kernel-devel will automatically installed…

rpm -q --requires kernel-syms
kernel-default-devel = 3.7.10-1.16
kernel-desktop-devel = 3.7.10-1.16
kernel-xen-devel = 3.7.10-1.16
kernel-devel = 3.7.10-1.16
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.6-1
kernel-default-devel = 3.7.10-1.11
kernel-desktop-devel = 3.7.10-1.11
kernel-xen-devel = 3.7.10-1.11
kernel-devel = 3.7.10-1.11
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1

I have 2 kernels installed:

i | kernel-desktop       | Paket | 3.7.10-1.16.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-12.3-Update
i | kernel-desktop       | Paket | 3.7.10-1.11.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-12.3-Update

My fault.

And something learned about openSUSE.

If you would like to use dkms to auto update your VirtualBox drivers on each kernel update, you can get dkms from Packman and then follow my guide here to get dkms working in openSUSE 12.3:

DKMS & systemd - How to get Dynamic Kernel Module Support to work in openSUSE 12.3 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

It works clear up to kernel 3.10.3, but not with kernel 3.11 so far.

Thank You,

Much appreciated everyone. Issue resolved.

Hi,

I had the exact same problem, installed VB from the opensuse with all the programs to run the VB interface from the repo and it gave me the rc=-1908 error.
I simply went to the VirtualBox home page and downloaded and installed the lattest rpm they had for OpenSuSE (their indication is OS 12.2) as of this reading it is version
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.18/VirtualBox-4.2-4.2.18_88780_openSUSE114-1.x86_64.rpm

In my case is OpenSuSE 12.3 x86_64.

And everything worked fine after that. I did not even had to uninstall the OpenSuSE repo version I had.

Regards.

Did you reboot, so that the kernel module gets loaded?
Or maybe you installed the wrong kernel module package. For kernel-desktop you need virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop, for kernel-default virtualbox-host-kmp-default, and so on.

And everything worked fine after that. I did not even had to uninstall the OpenSuSE repo version I had.

But you should. Those packages conflict with each other.
If there ever is an update to the openSUSE packages your VirtualBox won’t work anymore.
You will have to reinstall the VirtualBox package though after you removed the openSUSE packages.

Hi,

I only installed from the usual Repo’s Virtualbox with the error mentioned on this thread. After that I installed from rpm the downloaded version on Sun/Oracle site has previously mentioned.
Simple thing, it woks.
Even after reboot.

But you should. Those packages conflict with each other.
If there ever is an update to the openSUSE packages your VirtualBox won’t work anymore.
You will have to reinstall the VirtualBox package though after you removed the openSUSE packages.

They are both installed and the one from Oracle works great … no conflicts so far.
On System->Emulator there is an icon for the VB , Virtual Machine / Oracle VM Virtualbox …
Just click it … it launches Virtualbox with no problems.

Regards.

I never had a problem with the openSUSE packages.
As I said, maybe you installed the wrong kernel module package?

After that I installed from rpm the downloaded version on Sun/Oracle site has previously mentioned.
Simple thing, it woks.
Even after reboot.

Yes, that’s how it should be. :wink:
But also with the openSUSE packages.

With the Oracle package you will have to call “vboxdrv setup” though after every kernel update.

They are both installed and the one from Oracle works great … no conflicts so far.
On System->Emulator there is an icon for the VB , Virtual Machine / Oracle VM Virtualbox …
Just click it … it launches Virtualbox with no problems.

Of course it is working now.
But they do conflict, because they contain the same files. That’s why it’s no good idea to have both installed.
If there ever is an update to openSUSE’s version (as online update), it will overwrite the Oracle version’s files.
And there will be an update to the virtualbox-host-kmp rpms when the next kernel update is released.

Thank You! I was having a similar issue in 13.1 and this fixed after I installed DKMS and ran the command.

I was having problems running Oracle Virtualbox 4.3.20 on openSUSE KDE 13.2 64bit and this command worked like a charm, now virtualbox is running fine thank you, :good::slight_smile: