Can I make an executable from a text file like DOS use to?

I would like to know if there is a way to make an executable file the good old DOS days in openSuse Tumbleweed. I would like to make a fie on my desktop that will open nautilus in super user mode with one click instead of having to open a terminal and typing in gnomesu nautilus every time I need to edit a config file or place folders in the svr directory.

I believe in the DOS days you just created a text tile, typed in gnomesu nautilus (or what ever command you needed and not that dos was linux but you get the idea) and saved it as a .bat file.

Can this be done with openSuse and Gnome?

Thanks
Michelle :slight_smile:

Yes. It’s called scripting.

In a command line, type

echo $PATH

Check what is your default path. I’m not sure of the suse default, since my own shell startup files set things as I want them. Most likely, your “bin” directory is in your path.

If that’s right, then you need to do two things:

1. create that text file in your “bin” directory. Give it whatever name you want (no need for a “.bat”)
  2. Set the file to be executable, as in
chmod +x bin/filename

And, after that, you just use that as a command.

I found this…

*create an empty file (or use gedit) named easytether.desktop. Paste this into this file: **[Desktop Entry]
Name=Easytether
Exec=easytether connect
Terminal=true
Type=Application
*and save! You will then need to make the file executable, by editing the properties of the file, or running: chmod +x easytether.desktop.

• The Name=Easytether line specifies the name of the shortcut that will appear to the user.
  • The Exec=easytether connect line specifies the command to be run, in this case, easytether connect.
  • The Terminal=true line specifies that the command should be run in GNOME Terminal, so that the user can inspect its output.

So I folowed these directions… created a file supernautilus.desktop and placed it in my desktop folder with this inside.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=supernautilus
Exec=gnomesu nautilus
Terminal=true
Type=Application

Saved it, it has proper permissions and so on.

it’s for ubuntu and sorta works… I can click the file, the terminal opens and gives me the admin password log in and then opens nautilus however terminal returns this mess:(gnomesu:2992): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_set_titlebar() called on a realized window
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

(nautilus:2999): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(nautilus:2999): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at ‘/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css’ does not exist

and when I go to open the config file with the text editor the waiting icon just spins without ever opening the file.

Any thoughts on how to get this to work in opensuse?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

NOTE: typing this gnomesu nautilus in terminal works just fine. I get nautilus in super user mode.

Hi
Or create a desktop file (aka shortcut), see https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/513126-Nautilus-Open-as-Admin

Sorry, I am confused. so I would still need to use terminal with this is that correct? I am trying to make a clickable file so that I don’t need to open the terminal and type.

What I need is simple enough to type… gnomesu nautilus …but having to open termial just to get a file manager is an extra step I would like to avoid. KDE has a link that opens Dolphin in super user mode and that is my goal. I think I should have mentioned that. Sorry :cry:

AWESOME!!! I have an Icon on in my applications now!! rotfl!

One small problem… When I click on a file, like php.ini to open in a text editor, the text editor does not open. I am going to try a reboot of the laptop and see if that helps, it sometimes does with other things. Other than that, this is totally cool!!! Thank You!!! :slight_smile:

Yes. The “.desktop” file, as suggested by Malcolm, seems to be what you want.

ah, gottcha. Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes, the rebooting of the laptop fixed the files not opening. I have a stupid old computer lol.

Thank you so much for the help everyone!!! I have been up for over 48 hours trying to get Tumbleweed to work on this thing and I have finally got it all working the way I need it to. It’s slow but it works!

I can finally maybe get some sleep lol. Thanks again for the help!!! :slight_smile: