Bypassing OpenDNS

OpenDNS is enforced on my router. The proxy category is blocked, so I can’t use that method. I also can’t just input the raw ip into the browser. Anybody have any ideas as to what would work? I’m the only Linux computer so maybe there’s something Linux specific?

You’ll have to be more detailed what you mean by saying your router “enforces” OpenDNS.
Does that mean that the DNS protocole is blocked to other DNS servers (typically outbound port 51)?
Are you talking about any other service or type of connection that OpenDNS provides?
Or, are you simply saying that your router’s DNS forwarding can’t be modified?

And, depending on how hard your Network wants to block unusual traffic and how badly you want to obviously defeat those restrictions, have you considered…

• A VPN, possibly a commercial VPN service
  • Setting up an external proxy server that can translate traffic on a non-default port to the default?

TSU

My error on DNS, should not have just posted from faulty memory.
DNS traffic is of course on port 53, not port 51.

TSU

It’s far from clear what that means.

You can specify a DNS server in “/etc/resolv.conf”. You aren’t supposed to directly edit that file, but for experimenting it might be the easiest way.

If you mess up, and DNS stops working because of your changes, then simply remove “/etc/resolv.conf” and reboot. The original version will come back.

On Sat, 19 May 2018 21:26:03 +0000, Boi Stevens wrote:

> OpenDNS is enforced on my router. The proxy category is blocked, so I
> can’t use that method. I also can’t just input the raw ip into the
> browser. Anybody have any ideas as to what would work? I’m the only
> Linux computer so maybe there’s something Linux specific?

Do you not manage your own router? If not, then you should contact the
person who does.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Best answer so far, IMHO. Indeed, if you are trying to get around something that is enforced in, say, a business where you work, or something like that, it is probably not a wise thing to do unless you get permission to do so.