Bumblebee

Hello,

I’d like to know if someone already has tried to “use” bumblebee under OpenSuse 12.1 and what the results are.
And also: where could I find some OpenSuse (12.1) documentation about that subject?

Thanks

Im currently trying to get it setup. There are repos (use the 12.1 unstable) with most everything that is needed. At least nouveau works instantly. The proprietary driver is eluding me at the moment.
The nvidia ftp for 12.1 hasnt been put up yet, so I attempted to build the module but this ended up blasting away mesa so then the intel glx portion was broke. I did find some comments on the bumblebee site that one could extract the files from the driver, build the module and do some other things and it would work.
What i really would like to get working is vdpau. Im trying to run this on the asus 1215n

Edit: looks like the 12.1 ftp is up :slight_smile: Time to install and test.

Thanks for the answer.
How are the performances with nouveau? Are they acceptable? (e.g. movies, 3d-games, flashplayer)
In the AUR repository of Archlinux they have a version of bumblebee that installs an adapted version of the nvidia driver. Is something like this expected to happen under OpenSuse?

In the AUR repository of Archlinux they have a version of bumblebee that installs an adapted version of the nvidia driver. Is something like this expected to happen under OpenSuse?

That would be a nice idea. I guess the relevant package maintainer would need to be persuaded…

the bumblebee rpms with the offificial nvidia driver rpm worked for me, the one change I had to do is change the display type in the xorg.conf for nvidia, otherwise following the readme that comes with the bumblebee rpm works.

vdpau appears so far will not work based on the need for direct rendering.

the bumblebee rpms with the offificial nvidia driver rpm worked for me, the one change I had to do is change the display type in the xorg.conf for nvidia, otherwise following the readme that comes with the bumblebee rpm works.

Thanks for the update. This will be very useful to others.

Thanks for the information:)

I have another bit of info to add, so i updated the nvidia driver to 290 (prebuilt rpm)…and it ended up replacing the intel side of things. Reinstalling the mesa packages, xorg-intel, and xorg-drivers restored the intel files and intel glx worked again.

I have another bit of info to add, so i updated the nvidia driver to 290 (prebuilt rpm)…and it ended up replacing the intel side of things. Reinstalling the mesa packages, xorg-intel, and xorg-drivers restored the intel files and intel glx worked again.

Thanks for the additional info.