Brasero & K3B Dual DVD Burn Failure.

Hello, I got the following error message from brasero-session.log when trying to burn a 7.7GB ISO. My system is openSUSE 11.4, Gnome 2.32.

Checking session consistency (brasero_burn_check_session_consistency brasero-burn.c:1744)
BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_get_action
BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_set_output_size_for_current_track
BraseroBurnURI stopping
BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_get_session_output_size
BraseroBurnURI output set (IMAGE) image = /tmp/brasero_tmp_GY7KYV.bin toc = none
BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_get_session_output_size
BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_get_current_track
BraseroBurnURI no burn:// URI found
BraseroBurnURI stopping
BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_get_action
BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_set_output_size_for_current_track
BraseroLocalTrack stopping
BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_get_session_output_size
BraseroLocalTrack output set (IMAGE) image = /tmp/brasero_tmp_R26KYV.bin toc = none
BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_get_session_output_size
BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_get_current_track
BraseroLocalTrack no remote URIs
BraseroLocalTrack stopping
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_current_track
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_action
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_flags
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_fd_in
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_set_output_size_for_current_track
BraseroChecksumImage stopping
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_flags
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_session_output_size
BraseroChecksumImage output set (IMAGE) image = /tmp/brasero_tmp_RH6KYV.bin toc = none
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_session_output_size
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_input_type
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_set_current_action
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_fd_in
BraseroChecksumImage Starting checksuming file /home/antony/Windows Software/Games/Crysis 2/flt-cry2.iso (size = 8241698816)
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_fd_out
BraseroChecksumImage Setting new checksum (type = 2) 304abd60f027c1bc06e8dc75e16c8e71 ((null) before)
BraseroChecksumImage Finished track successfully
BraseroChecksumImage stopping
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_action
BraseroGrowisofs getting varg
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_current_track
BraseroGrowisofs got varg:
BraseroGrowisofs deactivating
BraseroGrowisofs getting varg
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_flags
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_speed
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_device
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_session_output_size
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_current_track
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_fd_in
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_set_current_action
BraseroGrowisofs got varg:
growisofs
-use-the-force-luke=notray
-use-the-force-luke=4gms
-dvd-compat
-speed=6
-use-the-force-luke=tracksize:4024267
-use-the-force-luke=tty
-Z
/dev/sr0=/home/antony/Windows Software/Games/Crysis 2/flt-cry2.iso
BraseroGrowisofs Launching command
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_fd_out
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_fd_in
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_fd_out
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: Executing ‘builtin_dd if=/home/antony/Windows Software/Games/Crysis 2/flt-cry2.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0’
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_set_dangerous
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: /dev/sr0: splitting layers at 2012144 blocks
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: /dev/sr0: “Current Write Speed” is 6.1x1352KBps.
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 4751360/8241698816 ( 0.1%) @0.8x, remaining 115:34 RBU 100.0% UBU 2.9%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 15925248/8241698816 ( 0.2%) @2.4x, remaining 60:15 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 27099136/8241698816 ( 0.3%) @2.4x, remaining 50:31 RBU 99.9% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 38273024/8241698816 ( 0.5%) @2.4x, remaining 50:00 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%

At this point it has started the job quite well. At 50% the following events below take place:

BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 4089544704/8241698816 (49.6%) @2.4x, remaining 21:30 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 4100718592/8241698816 (49.8%) @2.4x, remaining 21:27 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 4111892480/8241698816 (49.9%) @2.4x, remaining 21:23 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 4121985024/8241698816 (50.0%) @2.2x, remaining 21:20 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 4121985024/8241698816 (50.0%) @0.0x, remaining 21:24 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 4121985024/8241698816 (50.0%) @0.0x, remaining 21:27 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 4121985024/8241698816 (50.0%) @0.0x, remaining 21:30 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :- WRITE@LBA=1eb610h failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h]: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :frowning: write failed: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: HUP
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: HUP
BraseroGrowisofs process finished with status 5
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_error
BraseroGrowisofs finished with an error
BraseroGrowisofs asked to stop because of an error
error = 0
message = “no message”
BraseroGrowisofs stopping
Session error : unknown (brasero_burn_record brasero-burn.c:2865)

For those of you who may want to suggest that I use K3B, I had to use Brasero to find out if the initial problem was resolved.

The initial problem as I had explained before in a thread that was hijacked, was that brasero failed to even start any burning of an ISO image or the Disc Copy option. K3B on the other hand managed to carry out the two jobs but failed in burning a single successful copy of an ISO on any dual-layer DVD. After almost a month of research, I finally narrowed down the problem to some of the default packages selected for you in suse studio i.e. cdrkit-cdrtools-compat

To fix brasero I installed the following packages from multimedia apps repository: cdrtools, cdda2wav, cdrecord, mkisofs, & zisofs-tools. This allowed brasero to overcome the above limitation and start the burn process but it only got to 50%.

This is my 10th Dual-Layer DVD. Please Help!

I am so sorry to hear of your problem and your lost previous message thread. First off, k3b does work just fine in KDE, but I can’t say about gnome. As for Brasero I am not sure, but have you tried this same process in Windows before? Is this a dual boot computer or is it just Linux? I must say that after 10 bad disks, I would wonder if there might be a problem with the DVD burner of some sort. Can you describe its type, age and connection type for us and what kind of computer is it installed in? I must tell you that in the past, particularly with IDE based DVD burners, I have had a lot of them fail before. Also, there are some issues in Linux with the Optical drive naming. I have a thread about the naming process that would be worth looking at and making a comment about what was found on your PC. Here is the pointer:

Multimedia Optical Drive Naming (ie /dev/dvd & /dev/cdrom) Howto in opneSUSE

The text file this thread talks about can even be removed or renamed, then doing a restart of the PC will cause it to be recreated for you I think. This can be helpful when more than one Optical drive exists and/or one or more drives have been removed or swapped out of the PC. Anyway, it is worth a look. For older drives, it is worth noting that dust can build up in the drive and prevent it from working properly. For IDE drives it is worth checking if the drive is setup as a slave or master and if there is an option to place it on its own dedicated IDE port as a Master. Anyway, see what you can answer for us and good luck. Its getting late here in Austin, so it will be Tuesday before I will see your response.

Thank You,

That failure to switch to the second layer looks like a hardware problem. As JDM suggests, do you know that the burner is in working condition re DL disks? Have you tried it in another OS?

Thank you very much James. My machine is a 2006/2007 laptop, an Acer Aspire 5570z. My machine has been a pure Linux machine for over 3yrs an its only last week I installed Windows 7 Professional because I needed to back-up my contacts from my dying Nokia phone.

The drive is the original one that came with the laptop and while using K3B in openSUSE 11.3 I was able to successfully burn 4 Dual Layer DVDs without ever having a single error. I only Upgraded to openSUSE 11.4 four months after its release and I have not once been able to successfully burn a single Dual Layer DVD. Infact it was thanks to the changes I made to the packages mentioned above that the burn process was able to even start in Brasero.

What about K3B? Well, at first before the changes to the packages above, it was able to burn a Dual Layer DVD to 100% burn the DVD turned out to be corrupted despite the fact K3B stated the burn process was successful. The second attempt with K3B, the drive span so fast at around 3% that I got worried. A minute or so later K3B ejected the disk claiming an error. The DVDs I use are DVD+R DL.

Below is the Drive name, description, capabilities etc as reported by K3B:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N
System device name: /dev/sr0
Vendor: HL-DT-ST
Description: DVDRAM GSA-T20N
Firmware: WP03
Write Capabilities: DVD-R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-R, CD-RW.
Read Capabilities: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW Dual Layer, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW.
Buffer Size: 2.0MB.
Write Modes: SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump.

I’ve had no problems writing any of the ordinary DVDs of 4.7GB capacity. Is it that I’m missing a package because the openSUSE I’m running is the one I made using the SUSE STUDIO SERVICE? But the openSUSE 11.3 I was using before was also from SUSE STUDIO and my creation. I highly doubt it but just so that I don’t overlook the possibility here are some of them: cdrtools, cdda2wav, cdrecord, mkisofs, & zisofs-tools from the multimedia apps repo.

Thanks again James.

I see that you are online right now and while I do not have a definitive answer, let me throw out a few things.

1. All hardware works fine until it breaks, at a time of its own choosing.
  2. Doing an “Upgrade of openSUSE” can create some odd problems not faced with by doing a clean install.
  3. Booting from a LiveCD and trying to use the DVD burner might be helpful to see if it works.
  4. If you have any Duster Spray, I would blow out all vents (to remove dust) and even into the DVD drive while open as dust can stop lots of things from working.

Thank You,

Why don’t You try burning from command line in order to exclude K3B and Brasero from debugging ?

/usr/bin/growisofs -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=dao -dvd-compat -speed=2.4 -Z /dev/sr0 */path/to/the/iso/file*

This command works for me perfectly all the time whenever I’m burning dual layer DVDs. This one burns at 2.4 speed. Of course it can be changed to whatever speed your DVD burner and DVD medium support.

My experience with burning dual layer DVDs is that it is much more dependent on high quality DVDs than burning normal DVDs. My preferred choice are Verbatim but TDK was also good for me. Make sure You don’t have the cheapest DVD they’ve got in the store :slight_smile: although if You have already wasted 10 DVDs than the medium is most likely not the cause of your problems.

Best regards,
Greg

Thanks Glistwan for the command line option. This will same me big time. I was also lucky enough to find out that the medium was partially the culprit and that the problem with Brasero was fixed. Brasero now works perfectly, although I’m not exactly sure what was changed or what dependencies were updated to fix the previous problem. I’m going to look for TDK DL-DVDs because I don’t think I can find Verbatim locally.

Thank you to everyone who helped in finding a lasting solution to this problem. I’m truly grateful.

Problem Solved. Thank you.

You’re most welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,
Greg