Bootsplash not visible

So I’m relatively new to Linux, but I am getting along a lot better with openSUSE 13.1 and KDE then I was with Ubuntu 12.04 and Unity.

There are a few things that I cant figure out.

I installed using the liveCD and I don’t have the Plymouth bootsplash, it shows the text output of the kernel init.
I’ve read a whole bunch and tried:

plymouth-set-default-theme openSUSE
plymouth show-splash
plymouth --show-splash
/usr/lib/plymouth/plymouth-update-initrd

and nothing. I understand all the different splash screens but for the life of me not how the heck just to turn it on.

on a side note: how the heck do i set a default activity in KDE plasma? because i want my desktop to be in the “Desktop Icons” activity the whole time.

And a comment: Kmix is horrid. Truely horrid. why the hell by default would you allow 153% volume? and have no option to turn it off. And why does no linux distro ship with the ability to view all the Sound Device settings? I had to open the commandline alsamixer in order to turn off all the retarded default ON effects that screwed up my sound. /rant

But despite this, its actually pretty **** good at a lot of things, thanks for the great work.

Fine :wink:

openSUSE, like more and more Linux distros, is using systemd now -
just search on the web for ‘systemd’ !

I once as well missed the messages during startup.

On the other hand, PCs are getting faster,
and how do you want to be able to read all that stuff
within 5 seconds or even less ?

You can still see these messages after boot entering ‘dmesg’ in a terminal/console.

Yes, I as well was pleased to see them, because they could provide some clue on
what went wrong, if the system would fail to boot.

Now it seems that times have changed - not only using openSUSE …

Did you try, using the SUSE menu clicking on the chameleon in the lower left corner,
then ‘Applications’ and then ‘Configure Desktop’ ?

Good luck
Mike