Booting from USB to install, see detection, then nothing

Hi. I’ve created a bootable USB with Rufus, DD-mode with the latest Tumbleweed ISO. Booting from USB is successful. I see the text-only boot things passing by, then the green Loading basic drivers and Hardware detection. After that, some stuff passing by, like braille etc.

And the last thing I see (very briefly, less than 1 second): Probing, something with 5 seconds. And then a completely black screen with just a solid dash in left top corner. PC is fully frozen, only pushing the reset button revives it again.

Tried several USB sticks, booting EUFI mode and CSM. Rufus, Fedora Media writer. All with exact the same result.

As the PC is completely frozen, I cant open an terminal to see what’s going on.

Any clue, idea?

Intel i11700K, 32Gb RAM, M2 SSD 1Tb, nvidia 4090.

@hoevenvd edit grub to add nomodeset to the boot options, likely your system GPU…

1 Like

I know, a longshot question … did you verify the checksum of the download ISO??

1 Like

Yeah, checked the checksum (okay) and also verified the installation media (also okay).

But, yup, nomodeset makes it go. I am in the installation screen right now.

Though, a question… why do I need to use nomodeset? I googled, and now I know what it does. But why needed? Does everyone with an nvidia need to do this? Or just me, and why?

questions… questions… questions… :wink:

Thx for the help!

Because the RTX 4090 is not well supported by open nouveau driver yet. Only nouveau is on the installation ISO. With the online sources enabled/available you need to install the Nvidia drivers.

1 Like

Thx, clear!

Installation went perfect. Running nvidia 570.169 now on Wayland. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.