Booting from Local disk Problem

Hello,

I installed Oracle Virtual Box 6.0 on Windows 10. I tried to install openSUSE-Leap-15.1-DVD-x86_64.iso on Virtual Box but doesn’t go beyond ‘Booting from Local Disk’. I am stuck here. Any help\suggestions are highly appreciated. My Laptop has 40 GB RAM and 1.5 TB of hard disk storage.

Moved to Virtualization (because that is where the Virtualization gurus are lurking).

Don’t install Virtualbox 6.0, it’s ancient and AFAIK may be unsupported even by Virtualbox on updated Linux systems…

You have 2 options…

• Install Virtualbox from the openSUSE repos. When you do this, no compilation and build tools are necessary, it’s already done for you… Pre-built Virtualbox modules are simply copied on to your system. Periodically, Virtualbox will be updated, and when it’s ready for openSUSE, a simple system update should update Virtualbox as well.

• Install Oracle Virtualbox, which means downloading the install from the Oracle website. When you do this, you also need to install the C compiler tools pattern (or the individual compiler tools). Because Virtualbox is installed from a source different than openSUSE, Virtualbox will need to be updated by you as necessary and not by openSUSE.

And, BTW…
Consider upgrading from 15.1 > 15.2 soon to ease your upgrade path to 15.3 when it is launched.

TSU

Hi
FYI, OP is on a Windows host…

Thx, not reading carefully.

Same recommendation, though…
Don’t use Oracle Virtualbox 6.0.
It was the first version 6 release and lacks plenty of improvements both in appearance and functionality
Current release is 6.1.16 and although it’s “only” the sixteenth minor version, there are two major release versions hidden in there.

TSU

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.
1.I did also try installing openSUSE-Leap-15.2-DVD-x86_64 on Oracle VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win but still doesn’t go beyond ‘Booting from Local Disk’.
2. How do I install Virtual from OpenSUSE repos. I did try downloading VirtualBox from openSUSE Software but unfortunately couldn’t. I have a Windows 10 and not Linux.

Any help / suggestions are welcome.

Best Regards,
Satyapriya.

Can’t know without more info, eg how you’re installing.

So for example this is my SOP installing in all virtualization, and for me always works for Virtualbox.

Install latest Virtualbox on your Host machine (in this case Windows for you).
Required prerequisite is enabling the CPU virtualization extensions in your BIOS, and that your system is 64bit, which is nearly all machines manufactured 2003 and later.

Download an x64 openSUSE install image from https://software.opensuse.org.
Store the ISO image in a standard location you can find later (I create a directory named “ISO” somewhere.

To create a new virtual machine,
Unless there is a good reason to enable UEFI, I don’t configure that, and use the default MBR boot.
I never install the OS CDROM during the first steps of the install, I modify the final install step instead.

1. Click New…" to create a new virtual machine
  2. For “Name and Operating System”
    I give the machine a descriptive name that differentiates it from any other machines I create
    Type - Linux
    Version - openSUSE 64-bit
  3. Memory Size
    2GB for WM only and light DE
    4GB or more for big DE like KDE/Plasma and Gnome
  4. Hard Disk
    “Create a hard disk now”
  5. Hard disk file type
    Accept the default VDI since there are no current reasons to do otherwise
  6. Storage on Physical Hard Disk
    Accept the default dynamically allocated setting unless there is a reason to do otherwise.
  7. Adjust size if necessary (see step
  8. File location and size
    Accept default location.
    Set above 60GB if you want a standard proposed layout, smaller will likely propose no separate /home partition or subvolume.
    If this will be a virtual machine used for many different tasks and workloads, at least 100GB to support a large number of BTRFS snapshots, the larger the better.

Now,
Before actually running the Virtual Machine for the first time, you have to do the following
Settings - Storage
By default, you should see the virtual disk you created for your virtual machine set up connected to the virtual SATA controller,
But you still need to connect the IDE CDROM controller to your ISO install file(Currently it will say “empty”)
.Click on “Empty” and in the pane to the right you will see an optical disk icon… Click on that and you will see various options but in this case you want to select “Choose a disk file” and then browse to your openSUSE ISO file.
When completed, the word “Empty” should be replaced with your ISO filename.

At this point,
The minimum required to create your virtual machine has been configured, but I highly recommend that before you run your installation, you should review and configure other settings you’ll likely want…
Start from the top in “Settings” and work your way down, inspecting every setting.
You’ll likely want to change a number of settings…
Eg
enabling a shared clipboard so you can copy and paste or drag and drop between your HostOS and your Guest.
Maybe enable 2 virtual CPUs or cores instead of one, which will help performance.
Maybe enable a little more virtual memory (don’t overdo this)
More advanced features which don’t usually work too well yet included nested paging.
You may want to set USB 1, 2 or 3 suppot

When you’re set up fully,
Start your virtual machine.
The first time your virtual machine starts, like a regular physical install the system will find nothing on the virtual disk so will boot the install ISO instead (later, once your virtual disk has files, it can be booted).
Proceed through the guided openSUSE install, and when your virtual machine reboots, you should see your brand new Guest.

TSU