Booting and mouse question

Harmful to move mouse (either laptop mousepad or USB mouse) while openSUSE system is still booting/starting? I.e., while in “plymouth”.
I accidentally moved the mouse while system was still loading stuff (which plymouth by default masks…)

Not at all. It will be detected and initialised again when you plug it back in again.

@deano_ferrari:

Thanks for that, but I meant I accidentally moved -and clicked- the USB mouse as if moving/clicking the cursor while in “plymouth”, not a plug issue. Or even if it was the mousepad.
Out of fear I had to poweroff laptop, unplug it and remove battery for a while, before putting all together again and turn on!
Any help?

There was no need to do that. Anyway, more clarification is needed - did power down while it was booting? Does it not boot now? What is the exact issue?

@deano_ferrari:

Please don’t do this to me…

1. my mouse “accident” as described in my 1st and 3rd posts
  2. waited for Leap to normally boot, then properly powered off, unplugged and removed battery
  3. after a while put up everything again and turned on laptop again, booting Leap normally

Seemingly no issues at all, at first sight; but I felt extremely uneasy just by the fact of slightly moving mouse “cursor” while Leap was still initializing stuff (i.e., while on plymouth). I made a mistake after all! Does this have consequences for the poor system?

Hope I cleared ALL details by now…
thanks

Seemingly no issues at all, at first sight; but I felt extremely uneasy just by the fact of slightly moving mouse “cursor” while Leap was still initializing stuff (i.e., while on plymouth). I made a mistake after all! Does this have consequences for the poor system?

Hope I cleared ALL details by now…
thanks

I doubt there has been any impact. Relax.

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 23:06:01 +0000, F style wrote:

> @deano_ferrari:
>
> Please don’t do this to me…
>
> 1) my mouse “accident” as described in my 1st and 3rd posts 2) waited
> for Leap to normally boot, then properly powered off, unplugged and
> removed battery 3) after a while put up everything again and turned on
> laptop again, booting Leap normally
>
> Seemingly no issues at all, at first sight; but I felt extremely
> uneasy just by the fact of slightly moving mouse “cursor” while Leap was
> still initializing stuff (i.e., while on plymouth). I made a mistake
> after all! Does this have consequences for the poor system?
>
> Hope I cleared ALL details by now…
> thanks

No, you didn’t hurt anything by doing that. openSUSE (and Linux in
general) is simply not that fragile.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C