boot log errors, questions

I have a Toshiba satellite a215/sb600 BIOS v2.00

I have many small questions.

l

#Journalctl
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: Spectre V2 : Spectre mitigation: LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic ret>
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: Spectre V2 : Mitigation: Full generic retpoline
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: Spectre V2 : Spectre v2 / SpectreRSB mitigation: Filling RSB on context switch
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: Freeing SMP alternatives memory: 32K
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: process: System has AMD C1E enabled
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: ..TIMER: vector=0x30 apic1=0 pin1=0 apic2=-1 pin2=-1

Spectre is some hardware vulnerability I’ve read about. Can someone explain this more clearly? And if I have anything to worry about. The newer hardware (main linux) doesn’t mention this error.

Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: AGP: Checking aperture...
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: AGP: No AGP bridge found
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: AGP: Node 0: aperture [bus addr 0x1408000000-0x1409ffffff] (32MB)
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: Aperture beyond 4GB. Ignoring.
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: AGP: Your BIOS doesn't leave an aperture memory hole
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: AGP: Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: AGP: This costs you 64MB of RAM

I don’t have AGP hardware. I think. My memory is only 4gb. Do I need to enable this? Assuming the BIOS has the setting.

Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: mtrr: your CPUs had inconsistent variable MTRR settings
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: mtrr: probably your BIOS does not setup all CPUs.
Nov 02 17:05:12 linux-cydu kernel: mtrr: corrected configuration.

2.3 ghz dual cpu. I need to know if linux uses both cpu’s.

Nov 02 17:05:13 linux-cydu kernel: ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)    {red text}
Nov 02 17:05:13 linux-cydu kernel: ata1: applying PMP SRST workaround and retrying

This means? FYI, I’m having a problem with reboot and shutdown freezing after ‘:rebooting.’ or ‘:shuting down.’ I’m trying to find the source.

Nov 02 17:05:54 linux-cydu pulseaudio[2329]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop>
Nov 02 17:05:54 linux-cydu dbus-daemon[1226]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_st>
Nov 02 17:05:54 linux-cydu kdeinit5[2228]: org.kde.bluez: PendingCall Error: "Failed to activate service 'org.bluez'>

All sound systems seems to working. What does this mean?

1. Yes, both versions of Spectre affect “all” Intel x86/x64 CPUs manufactured throuugh 2017 and as you’may observe is not a problem with CPUs shipped this year (2028). The vulnerability cannot be patched or otherwise “fixed” properly, the flaw is fundamental to how CPUs have worked in the past. So, the problem is continually addressed doing the next best thing… If the problem itself can’t be fixed, then all known and published ways to exploit the flaw is being blocked, ant that is what you see. For older CPUs, this will be a constant issue, whenever some new way is discovered to exploit, a new firmware patch will be issued.

You should follow the instructions to open and assign that memory space in your BIOS for your AGP. How do you know, are you <sure> your Graphics card doesn’t use AGP? And, IIRC (may be wrong) the address space is automatically reserved so if your hardware can use the space, then make it available… otherwise your graphics card will use a memory space that might have otherwise been available to something else. <That’s> how you lose 64Mbytes if RAM.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input–output_memory_management_unit

Yes, Linux is like most contemporary OS is SMP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_multiprocessing
You can use an app like top to monitor how much activity is running in each of your CPU cores.
In very rare cases, you may be running such an important application that you might want to assign that app to run exclusively on specific cores or CPUs, and in Linux you can do that… But otherwise the typical Linux system will assign processes to the best core available.

Don’t know about your softreset error.

The last error is something about your pulseaudio and bluetooth and KDE.
Maybe you need to configure something, maybe you should disable, you’ll have first identify the bluetooth radio on your system and what you’re doing with it.

HTH,
TSU

This CPU cost lot of money at the time. I would need to find one made in 2018, if any newer 2018 ones have been made.

Yes, Linux is like most contemporary OS is SMP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_multiprocessing
You can use an app like top to monitor how much activity is running in each of your CPU cores.
In very rare cases, you may be running such an important application that you might want to assign that app to run exclusively on specific cores or CPUs, and in Linux you can do that... But otherwise the typical Linux system will assign processes to the best core available.

How do tell what what core is being used? ‘top’ doesn’t show that, only one core is being displayed.

I’m getting some kind cpu hardware error. I can’t find it with ‘journalctl’.

The last error is something about your pulseaudio and bluetooth and KDE.
Maybe you need to configure something, maybe you should disable, you'll have first identify the bluetooth radio on your system and what you're doing with it.

I have wireless card, but it’s not being used. This wireless card is off? I never set anything. I use only ethernet connections.

In “top” I can hit the ‘1’ key to get cpu information. Hit that key again to revert to the normal display.

Not a serious issue, but perhaps turn off unneeded bluetooth services via System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Background services

Disabled:
bluetooth none
wacom tablet finder - No tablet to connect, fancy cellphone?
touch pad - have, but use mouse.

Thanks, should give me a bit more speed. There are few others I will ask about later.

Thanks to all. I’ll post about the journal error later. :slight_smile:

Please, I’ve asked you about this over and over again: Do not post interpreted stuff, post real output that proves what you assume/suspect. From what I’ve seen your system(s) are by no means default installs with all the tinkering.
I tend to agree with mrmazda in the idea that this much trouble with a basic install is not normal. Please do yourself a favor, perform a clean install from a checked iso download, a clean /home and start from there.

+1 from me as well on this advice.

Yes. P-L-E-A-S-E follow proper forum etiquette! And, the rules about being polite means answering – politely – any questions you are asked by someone trying to help you, do NOT leave anything out. And give the full output of what you are asked for, including the command and its results. In Code Tags.

And, if you make a change after asking the question, ALWAYS provide that information and the results, in full.

Because you do not do the above, your threads seem to often go on forever, consuming a lot of the volunteers’ time, and consuming a lot of the openSUSE Forums resources.

I only have so much time enter messages. I read as much as I can and come back to next question later. I read every thing in time.

Please, I’ve asked you about this over and over again: Do not post interpreted stuff, post real output that proves what you assume/suspect. From what I’ve seen your system(s) are by no means default installs with all the tinkering.
I tend to agree with mrmazda in the idea that this much trouble with a basic install is not normal. Please do yourself a favor, perform a clean install from a checked iso download, a clean /home and start from there.

In the past, I would just full do reinstall, wiping the whole hard drive. It usually works well. Someone said, paraphrasing, “that’s what mswin people do.” As I said, I do read all messages.

The tinkering with background services was after the laptop crash.

I was thinking about that. I will try that and post on here. For now, I’m trying to get caught up on all the posts i’v made.

journalctl has tab completion which allows for easy selection:

erlangen:~ # journalctl -b -1 -u 
ModemManager.service                                                                                   session-6.scope
apparmor.service                                                                                       session-8.scope
auditd.service                                                                                         session-9.scope
avahi-daemon.service                                                                                   smartd.service
bluetooth.service                                                                                      systemd-coredump@0-13546-0.service
colord.service                                                                                         systemd-coredump@0-5627-0.service
cron.service                                                                                           systemd-fsck-root.service
dbus.service                                                                                           systemd-hibernate-resume@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-aa065695\x2db637\x2d4d5d\x2dbb2a\x2d4ad459c9556a.service
display-manager.service                                                                                systemd-journald.service
dracut-cmdline.service                                                                                 systemd-logind.service
fetchmail.service                                                                                      systemd-suspend.service
fstrim.service                                                                                         systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
haveged.service                                                                                        systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
hd-idle.service                                                                                        systemd-udevd.service
init.scope                                                                                             systemd-vconsole-setup.service
iscsi.service                                                                                          udisks2.service
jexec.service                                                                                          user@1000.service
nscd.service                                                                                           user@1001.service
ntpd.service                                                                                           user@1002.service
packagekit.service                                                                                     user@1003.service
polkit.service                                                                                         user@1004.service
postfix.service                                                                                        user@1005.service
rtkit-daemon.service                                                                                   user@475.service
session-1.scope                                                                                        wicked.service
session-2.scope                                                                                        wickedd-dhcp4.service
session-3.scope                                                                                        wickedd-dhcp6.service
session-4.scope                                                                                        wickedd.service
 erlangen:~ # journalctl -b -1 -u systemd-vconsole-setup.service 
-- Logs begin at Sun 2018-08-26 08:48:18 CEST, end at Thu 2018-11-08 21:37:44 CET. --
Nov 08 13:31:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.
Nov 08 13:31:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting Setup Virtual Console...
Nov 08 13:31:54 erlangen systemd-vconsole-setup[386]: KD_FONT_OP_GET failed while trying to get the font metadata: Function not implemented
Nov 08 13:31:54 erlangen systemd-vconsole-setup[386]: Fonts will not be copied to remaining consoles
Nov 08 13:31:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.
Nov 08 13:31:55 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.
Nov 08 13:31:55 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting Setup Virtual Console...
Nov 08 13:31:55 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.
erlangen:~ #