Boot issues - Network Manager & Touchpad

Hi there,

I did some updates last week and am having two problems since then…

Firstly, when I boot Network Manager doesn’t startup automatically. I know that I can just start it manually, but I would like it to start up automatically again… Where do I find this option.

Secondly, since the updates my touchpad seems to have lost the ability to tap or double tap for that matter… Where do I find this setting and re-enable it? I read that the setting are in xorg.conf, but I don’t want to play around in there till I have confirmation that that is the right place to fiddle in.

I am running KDE 4.3.5

Regards,

Dredger

Please, open a terminal window and post output of command below:

zypper lr -d

Output as follows…

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

—±------------------------------------±----------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±--------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | Education | Education | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.1 |
2 | Google | Google | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/x86_64 |
3 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.2/ |
4 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2 |
5 | VLC | VLC | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.2/ |
6 | WineHQ | WineHQ | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2 |
7 | XOrg_ATI | XOrg ATI | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.2 |
8 | devel:languages:perl | devel:languages:perl | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/devel:/languages:/perl/openSUSE_11.1 |
9 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/x86_64 |
10 | http-download.opensuse.org-d4bd6806 | Updates for openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |
11 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
12 | openSUSE:11.1:NonFree | openSUSE:11.1:NonFree | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
13 | openSUSE:11.1:Update | openSUSE:11.1:Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1 |
14 | openSuSE_11.2_-_Games | openSuSE 11.2 - Games | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_11.2 |
15 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
16 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
17 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
18 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |

Your repos look a little messy!

Quick and dirty?

Reinstall, keeping /home, configure Update server, update.

Add VLC repo, install libdvdcss, remove VLC repo,
add Packman, follow restricted media guide for packages needed.
Add ATI repo, install and configure driver.

IMHO trying to find out what exactly went wrong will take a lot more time.

Hi,

I can’t help with the network manager, but for the mouse,
check whether your xorg.conf file has a section on synaptic mouse in it.

If yes, check whether it has a line Option “MaxTapTime” “0” in it, and if yes, remove the line (or the section on the mouse altogether, I don’t have one in my xorg.conf file anymore, yet everything works).

HTH

Lenwolf

Thanks for the replies…

If at all possible I want to try to avoid re-installing, and will be pressing on with trying to fix this, and hopefully learn something out if it.

Lenwolf, I have checked my xorg.conf file, and yes I do have the synaptics section, but no I do not have the MaxTapTime option in there. I am going to try adding it and setting it to something greater than 0. I will also make a backup of the xorg.conf file and then delete it and recreate it and see if that helps.

Thanks for your responses…