Blank Screen After Install Using AMD Card

hello, ive recently installed tumbleweed but once ive finished the installation i get the the bootloader fine, select tumbleweed and then its blank and nothing happens, im using a amd R9 280 card. i did use nomodeset which took me into the desktop but im not sure what to do then as the display resolution is low, if anyone could help, thanks!

On Fri 08 Sep 2017 01:56:01 AM CDT, vilixz wrote:

hello, ive recently installed tumbleweed but once ive finished the
installation i get the the bootloader fine, select tumbleweed and then
its blank and nothing happens, im using a amd R9 280 card. i did use
nomodeset which took me into the desktop but im not sure what to do then
as the display resolution is low, if anyone could help, thanks!

Hi
Remove the nomodeset and reboot the system and see how it goes with the
default radeon driver.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.79-18.26-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

thanks for the reply!
I tried this and it just goes blank nothing shows up on the screen, i even re downloaded and installed tumbleweed and still just goes blank after boot, ive been trying to figure out whats happened and im pretty sure its a graphics problem. im currently dualbooting with manjaro which is working fine using the same drivers.

Hi
OK, in manjaro can you post the output from;

uname -a
lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA

Then in openSUSE press crtl+alt+F1 to get to a VT, login and run the lspci command as above, then post the output back here (between code tags).

right so heres what i got from open suse

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
00:02.0  VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th  Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0412] (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device [1458:d000]
        Kernel modules: i915
00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller [8086:0c0c] (rev 06)
--
01:00.0  VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.  [AMD/ATI] Tahiti PRO [Radeon HD 7950/8950 OEM / R9 280] [1002:679a]
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:277c]
        Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
01:00.1  Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti HDMI  Audio [Radeon HD 7870 XT / 7950/7970] [1002:aaa0] 

Hi
Ahhh hybrid graphics… so can you disable the intel or amd card in the BIOS?

ive disabled the intel graphics via bios and still blank screen

it WORKS! thank you so much! i didnt think it would work. What i did was disable the intel graphics via bios and it booted, Thank you!!

Hi
So what’s the output from the lspci command now, using the radeon or amdgpu driver? Battery consumption may be higher though, I think vgaswitcheroo is the tool for you;
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/gpu/vga-switcheroo.html

well its now gone back to blank screen when booting, im not quite sure why this could be happening considering ive used other distros without this problem but tumbleweed just dosent want to work with my card

Hi
Maybe blacklist the i915 driver and rebuild the initrd? Else look at the vgaswitcheroo or what does the other distro show in grub (blacklisted i915?) etc?