Best Disk Catalog?

Is there a Disk Catalog application in the opeSUSE 11.3 distribution? If there is, I can’t seem to find it.

Data has been accumulating on various media for 20 years. Organization is a real problem since it is on everything from floppies to CDs to DVDs to flash drives to external hard drives to internal hard drives on 3 computers. File systems range from DOS to FAT to NTFS to ext3 (ext4 coming).

I just spent 6 hours searching CDs manually to find a picture of a distant relative who died. His children remembered the picture and wanted a copy. Now every surface in my office is covered with old CDs I have to put away somewhere. Surely there is a better way.

I need something that will organize file names, dates and media so I can search for it.

I have looked at Gnome Catalog and GTK disk Catalog but they haven’t been updated in a long time and don’t seem to be included with openSUSE 11.3. That makes me suspect they have problems of some sort. Is that a reasonable assumption or should I conclude they are mature products that don’t need updating? Has anyone here used them?

Please Advise.

Cordially,
TwoHoot

I don’t know of any application to do what you want but, in KDE, you could set Konqueror to the long list view, put each CD in the drive and then paste the long list view text into a text document on which you could do text searches.

On 2010-12-04 10:06, john hudson wrote:
>
> I don’t know of any application to do what you want but, in KDE, you
> could set Konqueror to the long list view, put each CD in the drive and
> then paste the long list view text into a text document on which you
> could do text searches.

That would be horrible, but it is doable.
Best thing would be a database storing also extra data beagle style.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Advanced Disk Organizer is the standard for disk cataloging under Windows. Although reviews claim there are Linux versions, I have been unable to find one to download. The Linux versions seem to be rumors - mentioned but not present.

Would someone like to offer a professional opinion of Hyper’s CD Catalog? In searching, it is the only Disk Cataloger for Linux I found that has been updated in the past year.

I am not a developer. I want to USE openSUE Linux without the hassle of experimenting with buggy, quirky applications. I find it odd that openSUSE offers many applications to burn CD/DVDs but not a single one to catalog them after they are burned.

Cordially,
TwoHoot

CdCat - Hyper’s CD Catalog

seems to have been revived in the last month as you’ve seen. Maybe you can persuade somebody to package it for openSUSE.

Is there a procedure for getting someone to package it?

Gnome Catalog and GTK Disk Catalog appear to be further along in development than CdCat but nobody seems to be working on them now.

Cordially,
TwoHoot

I think malcolmlewis (kudos to him) does quite a few packages, maybe you could PM him. Or he might notice this thread.

TwoHoot wrote:

> Is there a Disk Catalog application in the opeSUSE 11.3 distribution? If
> there is, I can’t seem to find it.

Something like datacrow or tellico?

http://www.datacrow.net/
http://tellico-project.org/

Chris Maaskant

CdCat - Hyper’s CD Catalog seems to have been revived in the last month as you’ve seen. Maybe you can persuade somebody to package it for openSUSE.

The latest CdCat-Unicode-1.1Beta1-qt4_20101109 builds locally on 11.3, but OBS barfs at some compiler errors.

CdCat-1.1Beta1-12.1
... running 01-check-debuginfo
... testing for empty debuginfo packages
... running 02-check-gcc-output
... testing for serious compiler warnings
    (using /usr/lib/build/checks-data/check_gcc_output)
    (using //.build.log)

I: File is compiled without RPM_OPT_FLAGS
W: CdCat no-rpm-opt-flags <cmdline>:adddialog.cpp, cdcat.cpp,  commwidget.cpp, config.cpp, dbase.cpp, dirview.cpp, find.cpp,  guibase.cpp, hdirview.cpp, icons.cpp, import.cpp, importdialog.cpp,  mainwidget.cpp, mp3tag.cpp, newdbdialog.cpp, wdbfile.cpp, info.cpp,  exportcdcatdb.cpp, showcontent.cpp, selreadable.cpp, colorsettings.cpp,  borrow.cpp, tparser.cpp, misc.cpp, moc_files/moc_adddialog.cpp,  moc_files/moc_commwidget.cpp, moc_files/moc_config.cpp,  moc_files/moc_dbase.cpp, moc_files/moc_dirview.cpp,  moc_files/moc_find.cpp, moc_files/moc_guibase.cpp,  moc_files/moc_hdirview.cpp, moc_files/moc_mainwidget.cpp,  moc_files/moc_newdbdialog.cpp, moc_files/moc_import.cpp,  moc_files/moc_importdialog.cpp, moc_files/moc_info.cpp,  moc_files/moc_exportcdcatdb.cpp, moc_files/moc_showcontent.cpp,  moc_files/moc_selreadable.cpp, moc_files/moc_borrow.cpp,  moc_files/moc_colorsettings.cpp, help.cpp, moc_files/moc_help.cpp

I: Program is using uninitialized variables.
   Note the difference between "is used" and "may be used"
W: CdCat uninitialized-variable wdbfile.cpp:149

I: Program returns random data in a function
E: CdCat no-return-in-nonvoid-function import.cpp:59

I: Program returns random data in a function
E: CdCat no-return-in-nonvoid-function import.cpp:59
SysRq : Power Off
Power down.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=CdCat&project=home%3Avodoo

Tell the maintainer. Since he’s recently adopted the project, he should be quite interested.

In my opinion konqueror is the best for disk catalog.

I tried to PM him but it can’t be done:
“malcolmlewis has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.”

The message I attempted to send read:
"ken_yap suggested I PM you about a Disk Catalog application package for openSUSE 11.3 that would be comparable to Advanced Disk Organizer for Windows users.

Several applications have been suggested on the thread: Get Help HERE > Applications > Best Disk Catalog? but none have been packaged for openSUSE 11.3.

Among the applications mentioned are Gnome Catalog, GTK Disk Catalog, and CdCat.

What is the procedure for getting one of these packaged for openSUSE? I am not a developer with the skills necessary to do it myself or even evaluate which one of these applications might work best."

Maybe he will notice this thread.

Cordially,
TwoHoot

Tell the maintainer. Since he’s recently adopted the project, he should be quite interested.

Yep; I already did that. The maintainer recommends to package the latest svn checkout. Obviously, he has already fixed a couple of issues. We will see if the build will go a bit smoother now.

Ok, the “Best Disk Catalog” ever has been packaged. It is version r27 from the latest svn checkout. You can download CdCat (QT4-version) from my home repo on OBS:

software.opensuse.org: Suchergebnisse

A quick search turned up that this package was not available since 10.1.

I downloaded and installed the package. It works and runs without any obvious glitches. Thank you very much for your help and work.

After experimenting with it some, here is what I see from a user’s (not developers) standpoint:

1. There is no help worth mentioning. However, it is a simple, single purpose application that can be used by trial and error learning.

2. CdCat is obviously developed to catalog a music collection of mp3 files. I does not appear that the developer has given any thought at all to general file cataloging or use beyond a music collection.

3. Even though it is geared toward mp3 files, it does a good job of capturing the directory tree of CD/DVDs, Local and External Hard drives, flash drives etc. It records the folders, sub-folders and file names, size and type very well so the basics of a complete, general Cataloging application are there.

4. The most glaring deficiency is that it will not search by file date. Maybe it does but I have been unable to find out how to do it. The file date is recorded (it shows in the right column when the file is selected) but it doesn’t seem to be searchable. Adding more advanced search features would certainly make CdCat more useful.

5. The second deficiency (at least for what I am trying to do) is that it does not capture the media name or type. It has to be entered manually or it gets named just Disk 1, Disk 2 … Since that information is in memory and shows up in the File Browser, it should be possible to have it automatically entered. That would save a lot of time and reduce errors.

I emailed the maintainer but he has not replied.

Cordially,
TwoHoot

I downloaded and installed the package. It works and runs without any obvious glitches.

Thank you very much for this feedback. It’s good to know that the package works. This should not be taken for given, because it is based on an SVN snapshot, and according to the change log some issues causing it to crash have just recently been fixed.

SourceForge.net Repository - [cdcat] Contents of /trunk/ChangeLog

I emailed the maintainer but he has not replied.

I assume that the maintainer (Christoph Thielecke) who has taken over just recently will set his initial priorities in debugging the code and finishing the transition to QT4. But I am confident that eventually new features will be added. User feedback to the upstream maintainer is very important and motivating. For the time let’s wait for the next release.

What about tellico?
I started recently using it for articles and books and it seems useful. Also for CDs and DVDs.

Just reading about it on the Tellico website, it looks like the “File Collection” template will do exactly what I want to do.

What was your experience with download, installing and using it with openSUSE 11.3?

Cordially,
TwoHoot

PS: Sorry. I didn’t check before I posted. It is included as a KDE Book Collection manager with openSUSE 11.3. I will install it and give it a test drive.

Installation can’t be easier. It’s in the standard repos. Configuration is very simple. Then you can configure each collection. I think it’s quite versatile.
My experience is still limited, but good. Apart from that, I have friends who are very fond of tellico.

Not a good start with tellico. Clicking on the “Help” yields the following message:

“The file ‘/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/tellico/index.docbook’ could not be parsed because it is not a well-formed XML document.”

In trying to use it intuitively by trial and error, It seems it won’t generate the directory of various media. I have to enter the URL of each file individually.

I go to the online help and tutorial to see If I can make sense of it.

Cordially,
TwoHoot