Backup to external device

How I can backup all my system & files to external hard drive?

I am using OpenSuse 11.3 32bit - Gnome

There are number of different ones just check YAST - Archiving & Backup &/or google ‘gnome backup software’

Back in Time works well enough. It uses rsync.

you could use grsync and extract the complete rsync comamnd including options used which is displayed during grsync runs.
than you could setup a cronjob. thats how i did it and it works great.

suse_tpx60s:
have you ever recovered files from a backintime backup? its a desaster. yes it uses rsync but it also uses hardlinked files!!!

On 2010-09-30 14:06, l1zard wrote:

> suse_tpx60s:
> have you ever recovered files from a backintime backup? its a desaster.
> yes it uses rsync but it also uses hardlinked files!!!

Rsync creates hardlinks, if you keep several copies. It saves space. Nice feature.
What’s the problem you see?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Yes and I didn’t have any trouble. You just need to be sure that you have the correct permissions for the files you’re backing up. I.E if you want to back up some system files then you need to use Back in Time as root to recover them otherwise they’ll be read only.

I run two instances of BiT. One as me the user for my /home/user folder and an instance as root (kdesu -c backintime-kde4) for backing up and restoring my system files. It’s always worked fine up until now.

yeah and you have to make sue the external drive is not in fat32 or vfat (and no, those are not the same) i use ext4 for my backup device.

Back in Time works well enough. It uses rsync.

+1 Back In Time

I’ve used it for backups and assisting with data migration after OS upgrades without issue.

Back In Time

Webpin search

That is because the ‘fats’ do not know any privileges/user rights/Rechteverwaltung (de; have not found the English word so fast) as needed for a multi-user system, is it not?

Regards
pistazienfresser