Backing up laptop with btrfs, what is OK and are there any simple steps?

I would suggest a full rebalance only if the unmounted system shows no btrfs check errors. I think the defrag/rebalance caused my precarious filesystem to implode last time with quota/qgroup enabled.

Yes I saw that but it looks like btrfs check is doing several other tests even while running readonly:

[1/7] checking root items
[2/7] checking extents
[3/7] checking free space tree
[4/7] checking fs roots
[5/7] checking csums against data
[6/7] checking root refs
[7/7] checking quota groups
found 16308822016 bytes used, no error found

Isn’t this telling me file system is OK ?

This doesn’t tell you anything! From: Infamous Host erlangen - #4 by karlmistelberger

“Metadata are perfectly consistent … However data are rotten as exposed by the numerous errors in the journal.”

Hmm, so can we conclude:

1. For verifying integrity of btrfs internals: btrfs check
  2. For verifying integrity of data: btrfs scrub

:thinking:

Yep. These are the minimal read-only requirements.

• During prolonged operation btrfs maintenance services will run in the background.

• Users moving their system to btrfs may check their drives by performing read/write maintenance procedures in advance of the move, e.g. btrfs balance, btrfs device remove.

• Using btrfs on shaky hardware or system will eat up the benefit of the filesystem. This is a warrant.

1 Like

Sorry I’m a little confused here, are these the suitable commands to verify my clonezilla image/restore image adventures, right ?

In most cases it should be enough.
But just to be extra sure, run a full rebalance on the restored image as well, since this can be considered as a write stress test, last time someone used clonezilla with partclone (?) it didn’t go well, their problems started surfacing when running balance.

Thank you all who responded, great community for sure!

Alas, I have decided TBW is not for me at the moment and will leave this as it is.

There never was consistent behavior by btrfs (or more likely I didn’t figure out how to make it so). Also several updates killed the wifi on my macbook and although “snapper rollback” worked great I spent to much time fiddling with the system.

Cheers !

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.