Audio in VM?

Host: oSS 13.2, Guest: Win 8.1, VM ?

I need a VM to install Windows and then Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 to dictate my text. Does anybody have experience in reference to using an USB-Device (Microphone!) inside a VM?

If yes, please tell me, which VM, VMware player, Virtual Box, KVM, whatever.

Thank You!

(No, you can’t use DNS 13 under wine)

I haven’t used a USB microphone, but USB devices in general are auto-detected often by my openSUSE Guests in VMware and Virtualbox (haven’t tried others).

TSU

With Virtual Box and guest additions, my virtualized WinXP (inside of openSUSE) takes over the USB ports and works ok.

On 2015-05-27 13:46, cookie170 wrote:
>
> Host: oSS 13.2, Guest: Win 8.1, VM ?
>
> I need a VM to install Windows and then Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 to
> dictate my text. Does anybody have experience in reference to using an
> USB-Device (Microphone!) inside a VM?
>
> If yes, please tell me, which VM, VMware player, Virtual Box, KVM,
> whatever.

I tried some years ago VoIp, with asterisk running on the host, and a
Linux guest running a VoIp phone application. It worked.

I was using vmware player, but it should not matter, as long as USB2 is
passed through to the client.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

To whom it may concern…

1. Virtualbox needs a kernel module compiled for the kernel version in use.
  2. There was an issue with the permissions of virtualbox. Got an error “effectiv uid is not root”, solved for once by
chmod 4750 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSDL /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP

1. The Vbox extension package of the openSuse host did not work out of the box. I had to uninstall it with
VBoxManage extpack uninstall ...

and to reinstall the package downloaded from the virtualbox.org website (exactly the expansion package to the installe Vbox-version!), command

VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.28-100309.vbox-extpack 

1. Start VirtualBox, install the guest, here: Windows 8.1.
  2. The guest needs the “VBoxGuestAdditions
    .iso”, I downloaded them as well from VirtualBox.org. The manual is correct, but I failed to understand its meaning. You have to start the Virtual Box Manager, e.g. by ```
    VirtualBox
 on the command line. As I installed the German Version, my translation here might not be correct, however: Put the *.iso into the virtual cd drive. Start the VM, then the "Explorer" (my guest is a Windows 8.1) and you'll find the VBoxGuestAdditions in drive D: . Start it, pick your version and install it in the guest OS. 
  1. Unfortunately Win 8.1 does not install a sound driver. Outside, in the Virtual Box Manager, I set the Audio chip of the Controller for the guest to "ICH AC97". I downloaded the realtek audio driver for Win 7 (!) and saved it in the shared folder. Installing it in Win 8.1 was not possible, because the driver has no signature and Win 8.1 does not accept by default unsigned drivers. I changed the default, this is done in a quite sophisticated process via a special shutdown of Win 8.1. After rebooting installing the driver suceeded finally. 
  1. I made some test and configured sound of guest and host. 
  1. Installed Dragon Naturally Speaking and it finally worked, spilling out the warning that running on a one core CPU were not enough. OK, granted a second core to the VM in the Management. 

Phew.

Congrats on finding resolution.
And, Thx for posting your solution to this Forum.

TSU