Atheros AR5416 no werky!?

ok, i’ve got the results from the sticky’s instructions:

“/sbin/lspci” outputs:
00:05.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)

“/sbin/lspci -n” outputs:
00:05.0 0280: 168c:0023 (rev 01)

“dmesg | less” outputs:
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
ath5k_pci 0000:05.0: registered as ‘phy0’
ath5k phy0: Device not yet supported
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05.0 disabled
ACPI: I/O resource vt596_smbus [0x400 - 0x407] conflicts with ACPI region SMOV [0x400 - 0x406]
ACPI: Device needs an ACPI driver

(I’m not sure if the last 2 lines are relevant)

and obviously “usr/sbin/iwconfig” outputs:
lo no wireless extensions
eth0 no wireless extensions

and “sudo /user/sbin/iwlist scan” outputs:
lo Interface doesn’t support scanning
eth0 Interface doesn’t support scanning

Those are the results. I hope “ath5k” device not supported can be fixed. If not, then I guess openSUSE isn’t for me. but judging by the knowledge base you guys appear to have I’m sure it’s fixable.

I humbley await your replies.

P.S. I’m an old school Dos lover, and using the terminal brought back some fond memories. I think i’ll be liking this linux thing once i weed out a few bugs and get to learn it!

I don’t think Ath5k is fully supported yet. If you want a native linux driver the ath_pci module released in Madwifi is your best bet. Here is a link to the Atheros_madwifi instructions.

Atheros madwifi - openSUSE

Certain newer Atheros cards don’t work well with ath_pci and you’ll have to use ndiswrapper. Here is the link for the ndiswrapper instructions

Ndiswrapper - openSUSE

I have found that ndiswrapper doesn’t seem to play well with IPV6 so I would recommend disabling it by adding the following lines to your /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

ok, tried ndiswrapper.
thought i got through entire proccess. but yast shows ar5416 not connected, but it let me config it.
iwconfig outputs:

IEEE 802.11g ESSID: off/any
Mode: Managed Frequency: 2.437GHz Access Point: Not Associated
Bit Rate: 54 Mb/s
Power Management: off
and all the rest are reading 0

i’m hoping my settings are off. I’m honestly just trying to match the linksys setting to those asked for by yast. my router is a linksys wrt-150n setup with psk security.

any assistance?