I’ve installed 3 x WD1502FAEX hard drives in a RAID 5 array. I boot my openSUSE installation off a different hard drive.
1 of the device is on the 6Gbps Intel P67 SATA controller and 2 more are present on the 6Gbps Marvel 88SE9128 controller. I’ve disabled hardware RAID on all of them.
I created the array in raid level 5 using mdadm to use /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1, waited for it to finish the creation and then formatted the device /dev/md0 for an ext4 partition.
I then sent the output of mdadm --detail --scan to my /etc/mdadm.conf. This file looks like:
DEVICE partitions ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid5 num-devices=3 metadata=1.2 name=MaximusPrimeRaidArray UUID=b518e076:2cc8510e:2bd58f60:dddb9ca8
I’m able to assemble the array if I run mdadm --assemble --scan but the array doesn’t automatically get assembled on bootup. I notice /dev/md0 doesn’t get created on bootup until I run the --asemble command.
Also during bootup when I add a line to mount in /etc/fstab I get a “Waiting for /dev/md0” during bootup - roughly waits for a minute and then proceeds.
One more thing I noticed is during the assembling using mdadm I see the following log lines in dmesg:
458.529221] md: md0 stopped. 458.530622] md: bind<sdc1> 458.530711] md: bind<sdd1> 458.530802] md: bind<sdb1> 458.532891] bio: create slab <bio-1> at 1 458.532910] md/raid:md0: device sdb1 operational as raid disk 0 458.532913] md/raid:md0: device sdd1 operational as raid disk 2 458.532915] md/raid:md0: device sdc1 operational as raid disk 1 458.533341] md/raid:md0: allocated 3230kB 458.533391] md/raid:md0: raid level 5 active with 3 out of 3 devices, algorithm 2 458.533393] RAID conf printout: 458.533394] --- level:5 rd:3 wd:3 458.533396] disk 0, o:1, dev:sdb1 458.533398] disk 1, o:1, dev:sdc1 458.533400] disk 2, o:1, dev:sdd1 458.533428] md0: detected capacity change from 0 to 3000598790144 458.546288] md0: unknown partition table
I even added raid456 to INTRD_MODULES in my /etc/sysconfig/kernel and rebuilt initrd using mkinitrd but didn’t help.
All the devices in the array are active and I don’t face any problems except for the need to manually mount them each time I boot.
It would be very helpful if someone could tell me what I’m missing here. Let me know if you need any other kind of output from mdadm or any of the config files. Thanks.
The contents of my /etc/sysconfig/mdadm looks like:
MDADM_DELAY=60 MDADM_MAIL="root@localhost" MDADM_PROGRAM="" MDADM_RAIDDEVICES="" MDADM_SCAN=yes MDADM_CONFIG="/etc/mdadm.conf" MDADM_SEND_MAIL_ON_START=no MDADM_DEVICE_TIMEOUT="60" BOOT_MD_USE_MDADM_CONFIG=yes
Lines added to /etc/fstab
/dev/md0 /data ext4 defaults 1 0