Aspire 5741G crash

Wait a moment.
According to the Xorg.0.log you posted, you shouldn’t even get such a window.

So let me re-assess your current situation again:

• if you do a normal boot, you get a window with “Oh no! Something has gone wrong”
  • if you boot to recovery mode you only reach text mode

Correct?

Well, then there’s not really a problem with the files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, but rather /etc/X11/xorg.conf.install.
Do you have that file?

What happens when you run “startx” in text mode?
If you get an error message, please post it.

Yes you’re right. In recovery mode it hangs on that line I said few posts ago and from there I can press CTRL+ALT+F1 and get to text more.
In normal mode I do reach that window.

This is ls -l /etc/X11: http://susepaste.org/37894366
so I don’t think I have that file.

Also if I type startx from the text mode I don’t get an error per se but instead I get that “Oh no!..” window again. Before I deleted your files when I typed startx I got an image which I can’t even explain. It showed nothing, everything was in lines and weird colors…

Right, it is missing.
That’s the reason why recovery mode doesn’t work.

Please create it with the following content:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "fbdev"
  Driver  "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "fbdev"
  Device "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier "Layout"
  Screen  "fbdev"
EndSection

That’s a minimal version, but should work. You should be able to log into GNOME again then, at least in recovery mode.
Would make it easier to further investigate, I suppose.

To create it in text modus, use something like this: (nano is a text mode editor that should be easy to use and should be installed by default)

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.install

If you want the full version, it looks like this here:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "vboxvideo"
  Driver  "vboxvideo"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "vboxvideo"
  Device "vboxvideo"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "vmware"
  Driver  "vmware"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "vmware"
  Device "vmware"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "modesetting"
  Driver  "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "modesetting"
  Device "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "fbdev"
  Driver  "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "fbdev"
  Device "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "vesa"
  Driver  "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "vesa"
  Device "vesa"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier "Layout"
  Screen  "vboxvideo"
  Screen  "vmware"
  Screen  "modesetting"
  Screen  "fbdev"
  Screen  "vesa"
EndSection

I don’t know how you posted the files before, so maybe you do have another possibility to access the openSUSE system files on your hard disk… :wink:

If you would like to have a graphical system to create that file, you might set “DEFAULT_WM” to something else than “gnome” in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager with nano probably (“icewm” should be installed by default). Then “startx” should get you in a graphical session at least, where you should be able to run any text editor you have installed (gedit e.g.).

Also if I type startx from the text mode I don’t get an error per se but instead I get that “Oh no!..” window again.

Ok, so X is actually starting, but something is wrong with the 3D acceleration probably.
We will investigate this further after you got GNOME in recovery mode working.

Before I deleted your files when I typed startx I got an image which I can’t even explain. It showed nothing, everything was in lines and weird colors…

Hm. Deleting those files shouldn’t have changed anything in this regard…

Hi, I made a minimal version and now I get the same “Oh no!” Screen even in recovery.

As for the files, I installed pastebinit and piped outputs to that :slight_smile:

Pity.
Probably the fglrx installation interferes. I know that this is the case with the nvidia driver, if that one is installed, GNOME will not work in recovery mode.

Well, we have to remove fglrx then.
But please first save the /var/log/Xorg.0.log so I can have a look at it.
So, please do a normal boot, until you get to that “Oh no!” screen.
Then switch to text mode, login and run the following:

cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /

Then uninstall the fglrx driver as mentioned before:

rpm -e fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131

(or with yast)

Then reboot, and GNOME should be working again hopefully.

Then please post that saved Xorg.0.log, you should find it in / now, i.e. in your system’s root directory.

You should be able to use GNOME in recovery mode then as well, maybe it runs more stable then.
But beware, GNOME is quite slow in recovery mode on my system, as it uses OpenGL with Mesa’s software renderer then (that’s also the reason why it doesn’t work in recovery mode when the proprietary nvidia driver is installed… :wink: ).

As for the files, I installed pastebinit and piped outputs to that :slight_smile:

Ah, ok.
I thought you were maybe accessing the files from another OS.
You could have used that to create files as well of course.

I did remove it and was able to access gnome in normal mode but before I sent you the log it froze… In recovery mode I can only access text mode…

http://susepaste.org/52239494

Also gnome in normal mode was really slow…

Well, then it’s probably better to get the fglrx driver to work… :wink:

In recovery mode I can only access text mode…

Hm. Then you or I probably made a mistake with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.install file.
Maybe try to change it to the full version I posted before.

But then, you said you got to GNOME’s “Oh no!” window after you created it?

Also gnome in normal mode was really slow…

This shouldn’t be.
But maybe the fglrx installer left NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=“yes” in /etc/sysconfig/kernel, this can prevent hardware acceleration to work correctly with the open source drivers.
If that’s the case, set it to “no” again and run “sudo /sbin/mkinitrd”.

Your log contains this:

30.863] (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed. Probably kernel module missing or incompatible.
    30.863] (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************************
    30.863] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed                               *
    30.863] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
    30.863] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled                         *
    30.863] (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************************

So something went wrong with installing the kernel module.
Hard to guess now, what exactly.

Can you install it again in a terminal window, and post the output you get?

sudo zypper in fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131

Don’t reboot afterwards, as it probably won’t work again, although you know now how you could remove it again in text mode anyway… :wink:

If GNOME runs too unstable, logout and choose “IceWM” at the login screen. That’s much more minimalistic, but should at least work.
It would probably be easier then to use the wired network connection, as the IceWM in the default installation doesn’t have any network settings.

This is everything… I really don’t understand what’s going on… I just hope this is not too much bother for you!

dilic@linux-op88:~> sudo zypper in fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131
root's password:
Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-13.1-Update' metadata ....................[done]
Building repository 'openSUSE-13.1-Update' cache .........................[done]
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131 

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 63.1 MiB. After the operation, additional 267.7 MiB will 
be used.
Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): y
Retrieving package fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131-14.10.1006-1.x86_64
                                           (1/1),  63.1 MiB (267.7 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131-14.10.1006-1.x86_64.rpm ...[done (499.9 KiB/s)]
(1/1) Installing: fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131-14.10.1006-1 ......................[done]
Additional rpm output:
Updating /etc/sysconfig/fglrxconfig...
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx /
Apply some patches ...
ati-CONFIG_SMP.patch applied successfully.
ati-2.6.27-build-fix-1.patch applied successfully.
ati-2.6.36-compat_alloc_user_space.patch applied successfully.
amd-3.14.0-strict_return_type.patch applied successfully.
/

Used CPUs/Cores for compilation  =>   4 ]

********************************************************************************
*                                                                              *
*   Kernel:    3.11.6-4-desktop                                                *
*   Source:    /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build                             *
*   Include:   /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/source/include                    *
*                                                                              *
********************************************************************************

Warning:
kernel includes at /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/source/include not found or incomplete
file: /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/source/include/asm-x86_64/compat.h

/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x /
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make: *** /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.

Build of kernel module failed!

/
Calling 'depmod -a 3.11.6-4-desktop' this may take a while...

*   Kernel:    3.11.10-21-desktop                                              *
*   Source:    /lib/modules/3.11.10-21-desktop/build                           *
*   Include:   /lib/modules/3.11.10-21-desktop/source/include                  *

file /lib/modules/3.11.10-21-desktop/source/include/../arch/x86/include/asm/compat.h says:COMPAT_ALLOC_USER_SPACE=arch_compat_alloc_user_space
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.11.10-21-obj/x86_64/desktop'
/usr/src/linux-3.11.10-21/arch/x86/Makefile:107: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
  LD      /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/built-in.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_iommu.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl.o
In file included from /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:199:0:
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_GetInitKerPte’:
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:89:9: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast [enabled by default]
         return PAGING_FAULT_SIGBUS_INT;   /* Something bad happened; generate SIGBUS */ \
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2721:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PGD_PRESENT’
     PGD_PRESENT(pgd_p);
     ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:99:9: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast [enabled by default]
         return PAGING_FAULT_SIGBUS_INT;   /* Something bad happened; generate SIGBUS */ \
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2724:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PUD_PRESENT’
     PUD_PRESENT(pud_p);
     ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:122:9: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast [enabled by default]
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2729:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PMD_PRESENT’
     PMD_PRESENT(pmd_p);
     ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_GetPageTableByVirtAddr’:
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:89:9: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast [enabled by default]
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2788:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PGD_PRESENT’
     PGD_PRESENT(pgd_p);
     ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:99:9: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast [enabled by default]
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2793:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PUD_PRESENT’
     PUD_PRESENT(pud_p);
     ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:122:9: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast [enabled by default]
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2799:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PMD_PRESENT’
     PMD_PRESENT(pmd_p);
     ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_GetPageSizeByVirtAddr’:
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2857:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PGD_PRESENT’
     PGD_PRESENT(pgd_p);
     ^
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2862:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PUD_PRESENT’
     PUD_PRESENT(pud_p);
     ^
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2868:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘PMD_PRESENT’
     PMD_PRESENT(pmd_p);
     ^
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
  LD [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/fglrx.o
/bin/sh: ld: command not found
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/fglrx.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.11.10-21-obj/x86_64/desktop'

/
Calling 'depmod -a 3.11.10-21-desktop' this may take a while...

Summary report:
================================================================================

Kernel     => 3.11.6-4-desktop
   Detected   => RPM package
   Build      =>  FAILURE ]
   Install    =>  FAILURE ]

Kernel     => 3.11.10-21-desktop
   Build      =>  FAILURE ]
   Install    =>  FAILURE ]

Building/installation of fglrx kernel module failed! Try again
by calling "/usr/bin/fglrx-kernel-build.sh" manually.

Please read "/usr/share/doc/packages/fglrx/README.SuSE" for
configuration details when using SaX2.

/usr/bin/aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
Switch to AMD
Switch to AMD

Not really.
Now we’re at least getting somewhere! :wink:

dilic@linux-op88:~> sudo zypper in fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131
*   Kernel:    3.11.6-4-desktop                                                *
*   Source:    /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build                             *
*   Include:   /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/source/include                    *

Warning:
kernel includes at /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/source/include not found or incomplete
make: *** /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.

That’s for kernel 3.11.6, you probably don’t have the appropriate kernel-source-3.11.6-4.1 and kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.6-4.1 installed.
But it shouldn’t matter, as you are using kernel 3.11.10-21 anyway.

*   Kernel:    3.11.10-21-desktop                                              *
*   Source:    /lib/modules/3.11.10-21-desktop/build                           *
*   Include:   /lib/modules/3.11.10-21-desktop/source/include                  *
/bin/sh: ld: command not found

You don’t have the program “ld” on your system. Actually that should be installed by default I think, or at least installed automatically when you install the driver. Probably the package is installed but the program itself is missing though. Could be caused by the crash during your update.

Anyway, run this to re-install it:

sudo zypper in -f binutils

Then install the driver with zypper again and it should hopefully work.
If you’re not sure, just post the output again.

Here’s the output this time:

linux-op88:~ # zypper in -f binutils
Forcing installation of 'binutils-2.23.2-8.1.2.x86_64' from repository 'openSUSE-13.1-Oss'.

The following package is going to be reinstalled:
  binutils 

1 package to reinstall.
Overall download size: 3.6 MiB. No additional space will be used or freed after 
the operation.
Retrieving package binutils-2.23.2-8.1.2.x86_64
                                           (1/1),   3.6 MiB ( 23.1 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: binutils-2.23.2-8.1.2.x86_64.rpm ...............[done (427.6 KiB/s)]
(1/1) Installing: binutils-2.23.2-8.1.2 ..................................[done]
linux-op88:~ # zypper in fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131 

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 63.1 MiB. After the operation, additional 267.7 MiB will 
be used.
Retrieving package fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131-14.10.1006-1.x86_64
                                           (1/1),  63.1 MiB (267.7 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131-14.10.1006-1.x86_64.rpm ...[done (267.2 KiB/s)]
(1/1) Installing: fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131-14.10.1006-1 ......................[done]
Additional rpm output:
Updating /etc/sysconfig/fglrxconfig...
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx /
Apply some patches ...
ati-CONFIG_SMP.patch applied successfully.
ati-2.6.27-build-fix-1.patch applied successfully.
ati-2.6.36-compat_alloc_user_space.patch applied successfully.
amd-3.14.0-strict_return_type.patch applied successfully.
/

Used CPUs/Cores for compilation  =>   4 ]

Warning:

/
Calling 'depmod -a 3.11.6-4-desktop' this may take a while...

file /lib/modules/3.11.10-21-desktop/source/include/../arch/x86/include/asm/compat.h says:COMPAT_ALLOC_USER_SPACE=arch_compat_alloc_user_space
  LD      /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/built-in.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
In file included from /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:199:0:
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_GetInitKerPte':
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2721:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PGD_PRESENT'
     PGD_PRESENT(pgd_p);
     ^
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2724:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PUD_PRESENT'
     PUD_PRESENT(pud_p);
     ^
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2729:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PMD_PRESENT'
     PMD_PRESENT(pmd_p);
     ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_GetPageTableByVirtAddr':
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2788:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PGD_PRESENT'
     PGD_PRESENT(pgd_p);
     ^
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2793:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PUD_PRESENT'
     PUD_PRESENT(pud_p);
     ^
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2799:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PMD_PRESENT'
     PMD_PRESENT(pmd_p);
     ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_GetPageSizeByVirtAddr':
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2857:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PGD_PRESENT'
     PGD_PRESENT(pgd_p);
     ^
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2862:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PUD_PRESENT'
     PUD_PRESENT(pud_p);
     ^
         ^
/usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2868:5: note: in expansion of macro 'PMD_PRESENT'
     PMD_PRESENT(pmd_p);
     ^
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_iommu.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
  LD [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/fglrx.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
  CC      /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
  LD [M]  /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
  INSTALL /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
  DEPMOD  3.11.10-21-desktop
/
Calling 'depmod -a 3.11.10-21-desktop' this may take a while...

Summary report:
================================================================================

Kernel     => 3.11.6-4-desktop
   Build      =>  FAILURE ]
   Install    =>  FAILURE ]

Kernel     => 3.11.10-21-desktop
   Build      =>  OK ]
   Install    =>  OK ]

Building/installation of fglrx kernel module failed! Try again
by calling "/usr/bin/fglrx-kernel-build.sh" manually.

Please read "/usr/share/doc/packages/fglrx/README.SuSE" for
configuration details when using SaX2.

/usr/bin/aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
Switch to AMD
Switch to AMD

linux-op88:~ # 

Apparently it worked now, at least for kernel 3.11.10-21.
So you could dare to reboot now, the fglrx driver should work then.
GNOME’s settings->Details should show you which driver is in use, or you can see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. (glxinfo would be another way to verify, but you would have to install “Mesa-demo-x” first)

As I said before, you probably miss the corresponding kernel development packages for the 3.11.6 kernel.
But as long as you don’t manually select kernel 3.11.6 in the boot menu, this shouldn’t matter.

If you do want to have the kernel module (and a working fglrx driver) for kernel 3.11.6, install the necessary packages:

sudo zypper in kernel-devel-3.11.6 kernel-source-3.11.6 kernel-syms-3.11.6

Then re-install the fglrx driver again.
But, as I said, this shouldn’t be necessary.

http://imgur.com/SjgMx7w

Is this alright?

Sorry I can’t seem to edit the post before, but openSUSE just froze again :confused:

It worked nicely but then it randomly froze and I had to force restart it (REISUB didn’t work)

Sorry again, but it crashed one more time. Both time google chrome was opened with multiple tabs and one chrome extension runnigng, not sure if that helps.

Well, “VESA: PARK” is a bit strange.
But I don’t think any of the standard drivers should produce that output, so it seems to be ok.
As I said, /var/log/Xorg.0.log should tell for sure.

Hm.
Could you probably post /var/log/messages? Maybe that would show something.
But it would be big I suppose.

I guess you should try a newer kernel then.
But I’m not sure whether the fglrx driver would work with the latest one (3.16.1).
The release notes only mention up to 3.15.

You could at least try the one from SLES12. Add this repo in YaST->Software Repositories:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/SLE12/standard/
Then search in YaST->Software Management for “kernel-desktop” and install the 3.12.27 version, or type:

sudo zypper in kernel-desktop-3.12.27

If you want to, you could of course try 3.16.1 as well, you should still have the older kernel in “Advanced Options” in the boot menu.
The repo is:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/

It worked nicely but then it randomly froze and I had to force restart it (REISUB didn’t work)

Well, Alt+SysRq magic keys are normally disabled on openSUSE.
You would have to enable that in YaST->Security and Users->Security Center and System Hardening->Miscellaneous Settings.

Well, maybe it is rather related to Google Chrome somehow? I don’t know.
Can you try to not use it for a while and see if it crashes then?

I can try and use Firefox…

Here is Xorg: http://susepaste.org/79693471

/var/log/messages is empty.

Should I try Chromium if Firefox doesn’t freeze?

Looks good, the fglrx driver is fully working AFAICS.
Btw, the “VESA: PARK” comes from this apparently:

34.764] (II) fglrx(0): VESA BIOS detected
    34.764] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
    34.764] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 16384 kB
    34.764] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI ATOMBIOS
    34.764] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 12.20
    34.764] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: (C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc.
    34.764] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: PARK
    34.764] (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00

/var/log/messages is empty.

Then you don’t have a syslog daemon installed.
I would suggest to install the package rsyslog and reboot.
Then post the file after the system freezes again.
The file should be much shorter that way, so it’s not really a disadvantage that you didn’t have it installed right from the start… :wink:

You can then uninstall rsyslog again afterwards if you want to.
All logs should go to systemd’s journal anyway, but I’m not sure how to extract the things that might be interesting in this case from there.

Should I try Chromium if Firefox doesn’t freeze?

Might be worth a try. But that depends on why Chrome makes the system freeze (if it is Chrome’s fault).
Chromium is essentially the same I think.

But regarding the freeze I would rather suspect e.g. Chrome’s flash-player as the culprit than Chrome itself. This isn’t included in Chromium (it is available as separate package though), so there might indeed be a difference. Both don’t use the system’s flash-player at all, because they don’t support Netscape plugins any more since version 35.

I’ve been using firefox since the last post and it didn’t freeze. I deleted Chrome, but I will install the package you recommended.

By the way is there a something like apt-get purge so it gets rid of everything that was made by Chrome?

EDIT: also is it possible to use TAB to finish a package name while using zypper? I remember that it worked for apt-get

EDIT2: rsyslog is apparently already installed :slight_smile:

Good to hear.
Maybe this is an incompatibility between Chrome and the fglrx driver now?
Wouldn’t be the first time that something like this happens.

Maybe disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome would help, but I don’t really know where to do that as I don’t use it.

Btw, Chromium is the open source version of Chrome and is included in openSUSE. So it is essentially the same, with some restricted/proprietary stuff missing (like ffmpeg support and the integrated flash-player, but those are available as addon-packages on Packman).

If you feel like experimenting, you could also try the latest fglrx beta version. This is also available from a repo, but a different one:
http://lizards.opensuse.org/2014/08/17/beta-proprietary-amdati-catalyst-fglrx-14-20-beta-v1-0-july-11-2014-rpm-are-released-for-several-opensuse-version/
Maybe that would work better in combination with Chrome. At least some crashes/hangs have been fixed there according to the release notes.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-linux-beta-driver.aspx

By the way is there a something like apt-get purge so it gets rid of everything that was made by Chrome?

If you uninstall the package, everything should be removed except your user profile/settings.
That you have to remove manually.
Everything should be in ~/.config/google-chrome/, so just delete that folder.

EDIT: also is it possible to use TAB to finish a package name while using zypper? I remember that it worked for apt-get

No, it is not. Although AFAIK there’s work going on regarding this.
But you can use “zypper se packagename” to search for packages in the configured repos.

rpm does provide tab-completion, but that only works for installed packages.
So type “sudo rpm -e goog<TAB>” to uninstall (“erase”) google-chrome e.g.

And you can use YaST of course… :wink:

EDIT2: rsyslog is apparently already installed :slight_smile:

Yeah, I thought so.
It was installed by default on the 13.1 systems I installed fresh…

No idea why ot was empty though.
Maybe it isn’t, but you just couldn’t read it? (only root has the necessary rights)