[ASK] MPlayer or VLC??

Hii everyone…
Right now I wanna install video player on my OpenSuse 11.3 with KDE as Desktop Manager. But as we know, there are so many video player in Linux. So, I want to know which video player is better, Mplayer or VLC?? which one has better codec?? or is there a better video player other than these??

Thanks for the attention and as ussual, sorry about my poor English.

Install them both, follow this
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

I use both
vlc is GREAT for store bought dvd’s ( mplayer NOT good with them)
and the SMplayer gui for mplayer ( with the 2010 ALL codec package ) for all others including in firefox

In my opinion vlc is better than mplayer. I have mplayer but I don’t like because his graphical surface does not inspire me.

I’ve follow the instruction. But in last part I’ve got error message when I tried to Switch to Packman Versions. There are 3 option showing for conflict pakage “if Im not wrong”, and I choose the 1st option (deinstallation). When I accept/apply, there’s an error occur, when Yast trying to install wxGTK. So I choose to cancel Switch to Packman Versions. Is it OK to skip this step??

Show me the error
Use the xpert button to save it to a file and then copy the file contents here

I’ve follow the instruction. But in last part I’ve got error message when I tried to Switch to Packman Versions. There are 3 option showing for conflict pakage “if Im not wrong”, and I choose the 1st option (deinstallation). When I accept/apply, there’s an error occur, when Yast trying to install wxGTK. So I choose to cancel Switch to Packman Versions. Is it OK to skip this step??

there is an option to just switch from oss to pacman
it is in the lower right of yast 2 or 3 “radio” check buttons under “version”

VLC is great but I prefer to use mplayer as it usually has a larger frame rate playing the video on my hardware (especially large difference in fps between VLC and mplayer when playing .rmvb files). But then again I find VLC much easier to play the dvd’s (mpeg2 encoded those with interactive menus). Mplayer and kaffeine can also play dvd’s but for me they don’t do the job as well as VLC. VLC is also great for multicasting video but I think not many people use this feature.

Best regards,
Greg

These is the error message:

Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: warning: /var/cache/zypp/packages/Packman Repository/i586/python-wxGTK-2.8.10.1-2.pm.20.12.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 9a795806: NOKEY
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/tools/Editra: cpio: rename failed - Is a directory

Is these error occur because I already installed newer version of wxGTK??

for everyone else, thanks for the advice.

That’s an install error not a update/dependency error

what do you get with

zypper ve

When I’m not switch to packman version and run “zypper ve” the output was
"Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied."

But when I choose to switch to packman version, there are several package need an auto update.

Here is the snapshot.

http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/11171/9d9f36111709925.jpg](ImageBam)

One of the package which need an autoupdate was “python-wxGTK”. When I accept these autoupdate, there is one package which was failed for an autoupdate. It was “python-wxGTK”. The other package (when I choose to ignore the failed update of “python-wxGTK”) was update successfully.

When I run “zypper ve” after this process (ignoring python-wxGTK), the output was same as above
"Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied."

It sounds like you should be OK now
I don’t know why that wxGTK package is not installing from Packman, but it’s not important to have it from Packman anyway.

So are we still needing to resolve any problems?

Nope. Thank you for your assistance so far.
You’re really helpful.

You are most welcome