AR8161 and BCM4313 still not working in 12.3

Hi all,
I don’t know if this is the right place for this but its related to networking:

First of all i must say opensuse 12.3 is looking really good and stable. But they are still some disappointments. When upgrading i encountered the same problems i got when installing opensuse 12.2 on Lenovo N581 that is neither LAN (AR8161 uses the alx driver )nor WLAN(BCM4313 rev01) was working. For the LAN i had to compile the alx driver from compat-wireless-2.6.36-4 sources and and for this specific only this compat-wireless package worked. As for WLAN after i got LAN working i managed to install broadcom-wl from packman.

I mean this are something basics that ought to be packaged with a release, What users really want is something that works out of the box and not spending hours to days to get things like the internet working.

Between 10.3 to 12.0 i must say everything was working out of the box.before 10.3 one had to do alot to get the system working but now this should not be the case. I hope that the next release will solve this two issues.

Long live opensuse!

I have that card too, but I can’t complain and I don’t want to complain.
In fact I am planning to replace it with another brand when my machine’s
warranty is over.

It is not the distribution’s fault.

I know its not opensuses fault but i know opensuse team is capable of implementing a nice work around thats what is missing.

On 03/22/2013 12:16 PM, conram wrote:
>
> tschank;2539523 Wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I don’t know if this is the right place for this but its related to
>> networking:
>>
>> First of all i must say opensuse 12.3 is looking really good and
>> stable. But they are still some disappointments. When upgrading i
>> encountered the same problems i got when installing opensuse 12.2 on
>> Lenovo N581 that is neither LAN (AR8161 uses the alx driver )nor
>> WLAN(BCM4313 rev01) was working. For the LAN i had to compile the alx
>> driver from compat-wireless-2.6.36-4 sources and and for this specific
>> only this compat-wireless package worked. As for WLAN after i got LAN
>> working i managed to install broadcom-wl from packman.
>>
>> I mean this are something basics that ought to be packaged with a
>> release, What users really want is something that works out of the box
>> and not spending hours to days to get things like the internet working.
>>
>> Between 10.3 to 12.0 i must say everything was working out of the
>> box.before 10.3 one had to do alot to get the system working but now
>> this should not be the case. I hope that the next release will solve
>> this two issues.
>>
>> Long live opensuse!
>
> I have that card too, but I can’t complain and I don’t want to
> complain.
> In fact I am planning to replace it with another brand when my
> machine’s
> warranty is over.
>
> It is not the distribution’s fault.

+1

The distribution must settle on a kernel version. Unless someone actually does
the testing on a particular piece of hardware, how are we to know that your XXX
widget has suffered a regression, and that you must replace the 3.7.10 drivers
with the 2.6.36 versions. If that is the only version that works, you should be
filing a bug report where the developers will see it.

In fact, you should be trying the code from
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/2013/03/15/compat-drivers-2013-03-15.tar.bz2.
That has wireless and network drivers from kernel 3.9. If that one has problems,
you would do the entire Linux community a favor by reporting it at
bugzilla.kernel.org. I know the driver for the BCM4313 is better in that code
than in 3.7.10.

On 03/22/2013 12:36 PM, tschank wrote:
>
> I know its not opensuses fault but i know opensuse team is capable of
> implementing a nice work around thats what is missing.

They have gone as far as is legal!

@lwfinger are you implying its the vendors fault?
@conram i will try the compat package you’ve provided if it doesnt work i will report a bug on the kernel team. If the software is not tested on various hardware how can it qualify to be a release???

On 03/22/2013 02:06 PM, tschank wrote:
>
> lwfinger;2539558 Wrote:
>> On 03/22/2013 12:36 PM, tschank wrote:
>>>
>>> I know its not opensuses fault but i know opensuse team is capable of
>>> implementing a nice work around thats what is missing.
>>
>> They have gone as far as is legal!
>
> @lwfinger are you implying its the vendors fault?
> @conram i will try the compat package you’ve provided if it doesnt work
> i will report a bug on the kernel team. If the software is not tested on
> various hardware how can it qualify to be a release???

What vendors? Have you seen a list of approved hardware for Linux? No, there is
not one. The closest we come is a list of stuff that works.

A community-based activity such as Linux or openSUSE relies on testing prior to
release. That is why I run the -rc1 and following releases of kernels, and all
the pre-releases of openSUSE. I am assured that the programs I use work, and all
my hardware operates correctly. I do not know the Atheros story and why your
hardware does not work with kernel 3.7. I do know why the BCM4313 is a work in
progress, and yes that is Broadcom’s fault.

I did not provide you a compat pacckage, tI could be someone.:slight_smile:
Now I’m confuse, might :?someone is using my name.

If you do not want to help with testing, but just want something that works, and know that the drivers from 12.2 work, why not:

(assuming a 64bit x86_64 desktop system)

:~ >  sudo zypper install --oldpackage http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.2/x86_64/kernel-desktop-3.4.33-2.24.1.x86_64.rpm

or try a newer 3.8 kernel?

:~ #  zypper ar  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/  Kernel:stable-standard
:~ #  zypper mr -r Kernel:stable-standard
:~ #  zypper up Kernel:stable-standard

@lwfinger first of all i appreciate the work you guys are doing to make Opensuse the for many years now the best linux distribution (my opinion)now we are getting closer to what im talking about there is this Welcome - Linux Wireless which lists all working tested devices, so if i see for instance that my BCMXXX is supported in kernel ver. xxx it is not stupid to assume that this work out of the box for me as well, if i have the right kernel and now the problem is, it doesn’t work.

@conram sorry mate i over looked it :wink:

@eng-int where are you coming with all this? i think your not getting. I never said i dont want to help in Testing, that is what im doing right now :stuck_out_tongue: and giving feedback. secondly i mentioned clearly that i upgraded to 12.3 and so im not looking to install older driver versions. from >>“First of all i must say opensuse 12.3 is looking really good and stable. But they are still some disappointments. When upgrading i encountered the same problems i got when installing opensuse 12.2 on Lenovo N581 that is neither LAN (AR8161 uses the alx driver )nor WLAN(BCM4313 rev01) was working.” im saying basically i encountered the SAME problems i had when installing 12.2 so it also didnt work at 12.2 i compiled provided sources to get it working then. I already got My LAN and WLAN working and i know how to use zypper ;).

@lwfinger ive had time to try the compat-driver its not even compiling, make file is missing
see error output
ake -C /lib/modules/3.7.10-1.1-desktop/build M=/home/david/Downloads/compat-drivers-2013-03-15 modules
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.1-obj/x86_64/desktop' /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.1/scripts/Makefile.build:44: /home/david/Downloads/compat-drivers-2013-03-15/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/alx/Makefile: No such file or directory make[6]: *** No rule to make target /home/david/Downloads/compat-drivers-2013-03-15/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/alx/Makefile’. Stop.
make[5]: *** [/home/david/Downloads/compat-drivers-2013-03-15/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/alx] Error 2
make[4]: *** [/home/david/Downloads/compat-drivers-2013-03-15/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros] Error 2
make[3]: *** [module/home/david/Downloads/compat-drivers-2013-03-15] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.1-obj/x86_64/desktop’
make: *** [modules] Error 2

before make i did:

./scripts/driver-select alx

My apologies.

I missed your second paragraph entirely, and thought that your network was not working yet. Someone else got their Atheros nic to work by using a 3.8 kernel, which have newer atl* drivers than *the 3.7 kernels. I will write out 100 times “I must pay attention.”

Hei, man. Got my Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet working with this driver:

alx | The Linux Foundation

1. Downloaded this *.tar.bz
    https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/2013/03/04/compat-drivers-2013-03-04-u.tar.bz2
  2. Extracted
    ./scripts/driver-select alx
    make
    sudo make install

After reboot had my card working.

Asus S500CA
OpenSuse 12.3 x64
Kernel linux-3.7.10-1.1

Hey PA3MEP,
Thanks for the hint. I’ve just tried the latest compat-driver from april https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/2013/03/28/compat-drivers-2013-03-28-5-u.tar.gz and they work as well :slight_smile: I have just realized one thing that is: alx works with the packages containing the prefix"-u" after the build stamp. I’ve being trying all along with the wrong packages to compile and tha’ts why i ended up with a build error makefile not found when trying to compile with alx.:shame:

@lwfinger my correction latest drivers(with prefix -u) are working no need to install a specific package like i said earlier

Regards
tschank

Hello,
Can someone give basic advice on installing the driver without having an internet connection on the opensuse box? Thank you for any suggestions!

Here is some brief background. I was able to install Openseuse 12.3 on an external USB drive by disabling Secure Boot and enabling legacy support in the Bios. I am new to opensuse, and I am looking for direction on how to do a “basic” make install. I don’t have internet on the box(HP P71447c) because of the new AR8161L drivers. I have the drivers downloaded from the link below(another computer) and copied over to my Home folder/Documents. Now I am stuck.

The folder “Compat-drivers02013-03-04-u”, has a drivers subfolder, and there is a file driver-select. Typing ./scripts/driver-select alx
gave me promising output, “Processing new driver-select request…” with 3 lines of Backing up makefile, and 4 lines of backup exists.
Make, sent me to cnf make, which sent me to zypper install make. This then gave me failed to mount cd, no medium found on /dev/sr0, with a request to insert medium or cancel operation.
Selecting no, it tries to retrieve the repository Opensuse-12.3-non-Oss but curl fails, because of no internet connection. It finally errors out at ‘make’ not found in package names.

In the Dolphin file manager, I’m not sure where to look for the install DVD, or if this would help with Zypper install make.

Not sure what the next step would be. Thank you for any direction, please let me know if you need any other information about my setup. I understand I may need to look at earlier FAQs Zypper information, but it is a little more difficult without an internet connection on the box, and this thread had a reference to the specific drivers.

-Monterey
Hp Pavilion P7-1447c (woot special)
Opensuse 12.3 x64,
Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop

Hi,

I think you need to download the make packages manually to do it since you don’t have an internet connection
Best to do probably if you have an alternative machine that can connect to the internet is check the dvd iso if the make and other development
packages are included if it is, download it and burn then use it as a repository to install.

I have that kind of card with broadcom wireless.
Since the start of the 3.7 to 3.8 kernel I am having difficulty making the wired ethernet to work with the compat-driver.
I can build it and install but never can connect to the net. On top of that it is locking-up my machine during shutdown.
I refrained from using it and just use the broadcom wireless which easy to install from the packman repositories.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will report back how it goes. It might take me till next week.
-Monterey