Annoying sound from speakers

Installed 11.3 with KDE, actually it is working good with 512MB RAM. But there is not loud, but annoying noise, coming from speakers, some electronic noise. No such sound in XP.

rpm -qa | grep alsa

alsa-utils-1.0.23-1.8.i586
alsa-plugins-1.0.23-1.9.i586
alsa-1.0.23-2.12.i586
alsa-oss-1.0.17-29.2.i586

rpm -qa | grep pulse

libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.21-10.1.1.i586
libxine1-pulse-1.1.19-1.pm.44.3.i586
libpulse0-0.9.21-10.1.1.i586

rpm -q libasound2

libasound2-1.0.23-2.12.i586

cat /proc/asound/version

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.22.1.

cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-via82xx

Ssy1.5pCVuwtatEB:VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx

uname -a

Linux 88 2.6.34-12-default #1 SMP 2010-06-29 02:39:08 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Detailed ALSA info: upload=true&script=true&cardin - Anonymous - CNDUWtcq - Pastebin.com

I note:

#!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [V8233A]

#Card hw:0 ‘V8233A’/'VIA 8233A wi
#Simple mixer control ‘Capture’,0

Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined penum

Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right

Limits: Capture 0 - 15

Front Left: Capture 8 [53%] [12.00dB] [on]

Front Right: Capture 8 [53%] [12.00dB] [on]

and

#Card hw:2 ‘U0x46d0x8ce’/‘USB Device 0x46d:0x8ce at usb-0000:00:11.2-2, full speed’

Mixer name : ‘USB Mixer’

Components : ‘USB046d:08ce’

Controls : 2

Simple ctrls : 1

#Simple mixer control ‘Mic’,0

Capabilities: cvolume cvolume-joined cswitch cswitch-joined penum

Capture channels: Mono

Limits: Capture 0 - 3072

Mono: Capture 0 [0%] [18.00dB] [on]

… is there any chance the noise is coming from either the nominal mic or from the USB mic (a webcam mic ? ) and that you simply need to switch those off ?

There is a chance that sound is from Logitech webcam microphone. But no, there are sounds from computer, some noises. I’ll record :slight_smile:

Yes, there is such a chance. That is why I posted:

Can you not switch it OFF completely in your mixer ?

noise.mp3 Yes, I can switch it off, no help. Despite it on or off, when unmuting Mic Boost, sound is intensifying. Looks like ALSA is not perfectly working in this case :frowning:

How about running that diagnostic script again, to show us that you have indeed switched everything OFF that could be causing the noise?

Here you are upload=true&script=true&cardin - Anonymous - 3hSMe3Q4 - Pastebin.com looks usb microphone is off. Btw, this is not the case with Puppy Linux live cd, no such sound there, despite usb webcam is plugged in :slight_smile:

You have your mixer capture on. Is there a need for that ?
#Simple mixer control ‘Mix’,0

Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive penum

Capture exclusive group: 0

Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right

Front Left: Capture [on]

Front Right: Capture [on]

If you find another distro like puppy works, then run the same script! Compare the differences !

Don’t know how to manage with it. The sound is not from microphone, it is from HDD, keyboard, mouse. The same in Ubuntu 10.04, Mandriva 2010S Gnome. In Puppy 5.1 sound only from mouse, from HDD it is absent there :slight_smile: What’s interesting - I booted Suse 10.1 live cd, there is no such problem there lol! You may say “ah, you probably didn’t have sound there at all”, but it was, kdetv showed tv better than novadays tvtime :expressionless: So probably it would be great to use 10.1, but no support for it now :\ Was googling a bit hard drive noise speakers linux - Google Paie but no good answers.

As noted, if you find another distro such as puppy works, then run the same script on that distro (ie run it on puppy ) ! Compare the differences ! You know the script I mean:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

run that on Puppy and on openSUSE and compare the two. That may give you a hint as to what puppy are doing to make the difference.

In freenode I asked ALSA people about this, they told that ~90% questions there are about ALSA configuration, but this thing they think is kernel issue. Then asked kernel people, but didn’t get wise answer. Installed FreeBSD with Gnome, no such noise there, is working nicely, but Logitech webcam and Leadtek TV card aren’t working there :frowning: , Linux is better - both are working :slight_smile: Dunno, will try probably Dreamlinux and Opensuse 11.4 Milestone 1, newer kernel. I’m not sure how and where to explain this bug to kernel developers, maybe this is feature :smiley: Anyway, thanks for patient answers about Linux in general bug.

Now it’s okay, no such sound anymore. 11.3 with XFCE. There were some gstreamer, pulseaudio updates, I didn’t pay attention after which it dissappeared. So again I can use Opensuse without annoying noises :slight_smile: