Am I already using pipewire?

I was reading and wondering about trying pipe wire, but then I hit Ctrl + esc, and I see pipe wire and pipewire media session, so I think I am already using pipewire ?

Can somebody confirm Tumbleweed made the switch to pipewire?

My first test will be to set LMMS to use Jack and see how that goes :slight_smile:
(might have to install jack first though)

Did you follow the wiki or just discovered that you have pipewire running.
What is the output of

pactl info

That is a good sign. As conram mentioned, ‘pactl info’ (from a pulseaudio perspective) will report something like

Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.24)

if pipewire is in use, and of course you can check the loaded daemons with

ps -A|egrep "pipe|pulse"

For reference, I have

ps -A|egrep "pipe|pulse"
 2596 ?        00:00:03 pipewire-pulse
 2614 ?        00:00:02 pipewire
 2615 ?        00:00:00 pipewire-media-

My first test will be to set LMMS to use Jack and see how that goes :slight_smile:
(might have to install jack first though)

Have a read of this section of the wiki first:
openSUSE:Pipewire - openSUSE Wiki

I did not nothing, but have been following the news on pipe wire. (phoronix and Linux musicians forum)

I know Tumble weed already for some time, installs pipewire but did not yet set it as the default sound system.

Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native 
Library Protocol Version: 35 
Server Protocol Version: 35 
Is Local: yes 
Client Index: 133 
Tile Size: 65472 
User Name: guus 
Host Name: linux-2ls4 
Server Name: pulseaudio 
Server Version: 15.0 
Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz 
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right 
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_08_00.3.analog-stereo 
Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_08_00.3.analog-stereo 
Cookie: 303f:263a 

If I get this right , I am not using pipewire yet ?

Thank you, will read up on jack.

What got me interested in pipewire, is that it should be a lot easier to use jack.

guus@linux-2ls4:~> ps -A|egrep "pipe|pulse" 
 1954 ?        00:05:12 **pulse**audio 
 6199 ?        00:00:00 **pipe**wire 
 6200 ?        00:00:00 **pipe**wire-media-

Correct, pulseaudio is still in use.

Review the openSUSE pipewire wiki page for getting it started. This reddit thread is also informative.

You may just need to make sure the following components are installed…

zypper se -s pipewire-pulseaudio pipewire-alsa pipewire-libjack-0_3

It may only be necessary for you to invoke

systemctl --user enable --now pipewire-pulse.{service,socket}

as the other daemons appear to be loaded already.

Thank you, will give it a try, I had already found that page, and it seems easy enough to go back if there are issues.
The page is not tumbleweed specific though, so I first wanted to be sure I was not already using it. :slight_smile:

Fedora from version 34 is using it. (so it should be mostly out of the test fase)

I am kinda lost tough, Linux sound system is not that easy to understand 100%.

Alsa, Pulse and Jack.
Pipewire should replace pulse, at least that part I do understand, and ALSA is still the basic sound system.

Bit off topic:
We have the pro sound users, who claim we should be using Jack because of lower latency.
Some of them also still install an RT Kernel, although that seems to become less common. (at least for music production)
Years ago, I can’t recall which openSUSE version, I did install a RT kernel and jack.

Probably a version with a 10 or 11 in it. The jack server crashing and other jack related thingies made me give up on jack.
The goal of pipewire is as far as I understand though, to make it more easy to use jack. (pro audio)

Because I make music, or at least try with LMMS, I am very interested in this.

Let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

Fedora from version 34 is using it. (so it should be mostly out of the test fase)

I am kinda lost tough, Linux sound system is not that easy to understand 100%.

Alsa, Pulse and Jack.
Pipewire should replace pulse, at least that part I do understand, and ALSA is still the basic sound system.

Yes, the alsa kernel driver interfaces with the hardware, and alsa still provides low level user-space access. The pipewire-pulseaudio package is there to provide pulseudio compatibility where required, but long term will not be required I guess.

I’m no sound guru so can’t really comment about Jack, but you might find the compatibility layer for it that pipewire provides suffices. Sometimes experimentation is required.

Just reading about X runs and jack on the Linux musicians forum made me drag my feet about trying jack again.
One problem is, I am far from a sound guru too, but I do try to listen to people who are taking music production very serious.

Now only need to figure out if I have to install jack, or go for the compatibility layer.

Some reading to do, and probably just see what happens after setting up pipe wire, and setting LMMS to use jack. ( happy thoughts, fingers crossed )

I fear I will be the first person to try this, but I can talk to the LMMS devs if needed.
I think LMMS checks if jack is installed, so this could get interesting.

LMMS works fine without jack too though, been using it like that for years.

To be continued…

I have been doing some reading, and I am starting to see the light again.

Pipewire replaces both pulse audio and jack. The programs will however “think”, they are still using pulse audio or jack.

This vid made me realise I need to at least try to use to pipewire.
He is basically doing what I want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7XrrBXIzfg

So I need to install something pipewire pulse and pipewire jack, and then probably just reboot.

My use case should be a bit more easy, because I am not looking for audio recording, but I do want to record midi, from my midi controller. :slight_smile:

Pipewire here I come.

I am not using pipewire yet, but I am still keeping an eye on it.

It seems, you do not need to install pipewire pulse nor pipewire jack.

You do need to change an openSUSE (Linux) setting, so it will use pipewire, instead of pulse.

(after installing pipewire, but if your on tumbleweed pipewire is already installed, its just not being used yet)

Right now I am a bit confused on why pipewire pulse and pipewire jack exist, if we don’ t need to install it.

It might be time for me to test it, it should be easy to go back to pulse when needed / wanted.
I see people being very happy with pipewire, because It fixes, jack being not user friendly nor easy to use.

I ones tried jack on openSUSE, and I can confirm its not easy to use. (it also crashed and that was the main reason why I gave up on jack)

For those wondering, jack is for pro audio on Linux, and was made with low latency in mind.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Pipewire

Now I at least understand the warning on the opensuse page, about installing pipewire pulse and pipewire jack.

Yes, that is only needed if replacing pulseaudio or jack respectively.

You do need to change an openSUSE (Linux) setting, so it will use pipewire, instead of pulse.

(after installing pipewire, but if your on tumbleweed pipewire is already installed, its just not being used yet)

Right now I am a bit confused on why pipewire pulse and pipewire jack exist, if we don’ t need to install it.

Just the evolution of things. You can use both concurrently if desired.

Thank you.

Both the Arch wiki and the openSUSE site about pipewire confused me.

But that is probably because I watched a vid, and already saw people stating you do need to install those packages for pipewire to work.

That is simply not true. Those package are a temporary solution for now, for stuff like pavu control, which I am using.

That’s also why the openSUSE page warns us, about possible dependencies issues with updates.

Those dependencies are not pipewire dependencies. That problem is only about those two optional packages.

Things are looking good for Linux audio, and pipewire will also also handle video when its finished.

They’re just (pipewire) wrappers to provide functionality for the applications that may still depend on the frameworks they replace.

I noticed they changed the Arch wiki a bit. Its now not confusing to me anymore, and it kinda says what deano_ferrari said.

Pipewire does not need those modules, but some programs need them.

I think I made the switch:

guus@localhost:~> LANG=C pactl info 
Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native 
Library Protocol Version: 35 
Server Protocol Version: 35 
Is Local: yes 
Client Index: 88 
Tile Size: 65472 
User Name: guus 
Host Name: localhost.localdomain 
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.51) 
Server Version: 15.0.0 
Default Sample Specification: float32le 2ch 48000Hz 
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right 
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_09_00.3.analog-stereo 
Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_09_00.3.analog-stereo 
Cookie: e244:00dc

The first server string though confuses me, but I checked in YAST, and Pulse is uninstalled.

Yes, that looks as expected…

Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.51) 
Server Version: 15.0.0 

Thank you for confirming it.

I did it by installing wire plumber. Then YAST wanted to uninstall pulse, and I accepted that proposal.

Hi
The command inxi -Aa should show no PulseAudio in use…