All browsers fail to initialize fully after most recent update of system

It has a period in front so it is a hidden file. In a browser there is a show hidden option.

Got her done. Now I’m installing Firefox again and will see what happens next.

Daggone it! Same abend just as before.

Can you try launching firefox in safe mode?

firefox -safe-mode

On 2015-01-25 04:56, chuckenheimer wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2691160 Wrote:
>> On 2015-01-24 20:06, hcvv wrote:
>>>
>>> Wild guess, you have some wrong library that is used by all of them.
>>
>> A library of the wrong arch, perhaps? :-?

Well…

You could run

rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME}	%{INSTALLTIME:day} \
%{BUILDTIME:day} %-30{NAME}	%15{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE}	%{arch} \
%25{VENDOR}%25{PACKAGER} == %{DISTRIBUTION} %{DISTTAG}
" \
| sort | cut --fields="2-" | tee rpmlist.lst

It generates a file named “rpmlist.lst”. Upload it to a pastebin as you
did with other commands in this thread and give us the ID to look at it.

Like:

cat rpmlist.lst | wgetpaste

I can’t promise anything, but I’ll have a look at the list trying to see
things… dunno.

Another idea. You could start YaST package manager and tell it to reset
ignored conflicts.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

WOW! That seems to have worked for the moment. I was able to access this forum with no abend. However, instantiating in normal mode fails as before. Also, allowing the restore command similarly abends the browser. FYI.
Now I find that trying to login to this forum abends the browser, too. Ugh!

Then it is configuration error in the ~/.mozilla directory or possibly a plugin or other addon. This of course would not effect any other browser since they have there own configs.

Carlos,

Thanks and the paste can be see at b142ac685250.

Also, I reset YaST as suggested.

That’s interesting. I renamed the ./mozilla directory and reinstalled the Firefox software as previously directed. And, I have not added any plugin or addon since that time.

How would I go about tracking down the offending item?

one file at a time in the configs

OK, I cannot keep the browser enabled to be able to use it to enable/disable any plugins or addons, so I guess I need to manually configure the files in the ./mozilla subdirectories but have not been able to see what file I need to configure there. Any suggestions in this regard?

Nope no clue move them out one at a time see if it is fixed if not move it back try the next,. Yes it is tedious

You can use the profile manager to start a new profiles then move files back and forth until you find the broken one

From command line

firefox -profilemanager

On 2015-01-26 12:36, chuckenheimer wrote:

> Thanks and the paste can be see at b142ac685250.
>
> Also, I reset YaST as suggested.

Ok, I did not find what I expected, because your system is 32 bit. But I found some things.

You still have installed the kernel from 13.1, together with 13.2 versions.

Mon Jul 14 2014 Tue Jun 17 2014 kernel-default                          3.11.10-17.2    i586                  openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Jul 14 2014 Tue Jun 17 2014 kernel-desktop                          3.11.10-17.2    i686                  openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Jul 14 2014 Tue Jun 17 2014 kernel-devel                            3.11.10-17.2    noarch                openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Jul 14 2014 Tue Jun 17 2014 kernel-desktop-devel                    3.11.10-17.2    i686                  openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Jul 14 2014 Tue Jun 17 2014 kernel-default-devel                    3.11.10-17.2    i586                  openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Aug 18 2014 Tue Jul 22 2014 kernel-default                          3.11.10-21.1    i586                  openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Aug 18 2014 Tue Jul 22 2014 kernel-desktop                          3.11.10-21.1    i686                  openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Aug 18 2014 Tue Jul 22 2014 kernel-devel                            3.11.10-21.1    noarch                openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Aug 18 2014 Tue Jul 22 2014 kernel-desktop-devel                    3.11.10-21.1    i686                  openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)
Mon Aug 18 2014 Tue Jul 22 2014 kernel-default-devel                    3.11.10-21.1    i586                  openSUSE http://bugs.opensuse.org == openSUSE 13.1 (none)

You should remove all those packages, using yast. It should not have an effect on the current issue, though.

There are also many packages installed on 2014, which suggests that the “zypper dup” operation did not succeed.
Most of the system should be dated 2015, or I’m not understanding how zypper dup works.

That’s the most obvious thing I see.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

OK, that allowed me to create a new profile but when I started Firefox from that utility with the new profile, the browser abended the same way as before. What I am having difficulty understanding is when you say to move files back and forth until I find the broken one, I am not sure how to go about doing that. Not being able to keep the browser enabled, I know of no other way to even begin to attempt to move files at all.

OK, I’ve searched through YaST and found nothing indicating that I had the 13.1 kernel installed. I’m sorry to be so dense but it’s frustrating for me to not understand when you say to use the YaST program to remove the offending kernel. And, as far as zypper dup operation not succeeding, would you recommend that perform the operation again?

On 2015-01-27 01:33, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> That’s the most obvious thing I see.

Questions for others (I do not use 13.2):

Should he have QT5 or QT4?

I see in the list QT5 components.

:-?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2015-01-27 12:26, chuckenheimer wrote:

>> You still have installed the kernel from 13.1, together with 13.2
>> versions.

> OK, I’ve searched through YaST and found nothing indicating that I had
> the 13.1 kernel installed. I’m sorry to be so dense but it’s frustrating
> for me to not understand when you say to use the YaST program to remove
> the offending kernel. And, as far as zypper dup operation not
> succeeding, would you recommend that perform the operation again?

Ok, start up yast. Click on the “software management” module.

I’m guiding myself by the appearances on 13.1, not 13.2.

On the top row there should be several tabs; select the one named
“search”. If not visible, click on “view” and select “search” on the
drop down list.

On the search box, type “kernel”.
On the tick boxes below, leave only “name” as selected.
Click on the search button.

You should get a list of installed packages on the right, with black
checkmarks. Select one of those I said that you should not have, say
“kernel-default”.

Then on the box right-bottom, tick on the “versions” tab.

You will see a list of versions of the same package, some installed,
some not. Untick the ones for 13.1 release, and just leave the ones you
already have for 13.2.

That is, untick 3.11.10-17.2.

This will probably pop up another message that it wants to remove some
others because of dependencies. Making sure that they are the 13.1
versions, say yes to remove them.

When you did that for all the packages I listed, then on the top select
the “installation summary” tab. Verify the list of removals, should only
contain the 13.1 packages. If there is a 13.1 package listed for
removal, untick it or redo or abort.

On options, select “system verification mode”

On Extras, “reset ignored dependency conflicts”

On dependencies, “autocheck” should be marked, and then select “check now”.

When happy, click on the accept button.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

QT5?? Did you play with the new KDE plasma 5 stuff??

To move files you can just drag and drop in the Dolphin or even on the command line. Yo don’t use the Internet browser to move files. So if you also have problem in dolphin then the system is truly hosed and I have no clue what you have done to it. :frowning:

Well, I’m waiting with baited breath hoping I’ve performed your instructions correctly. Even though I didn’t see the exact same information regarding these removals as you’ve provided, I have gone ahead with what I believe to be the correct procedure and am currently watching the display of the deinstallation as it progresses. What I have concerns about is that when I selected the 13.1 kernel-desktop option, I was greeted with an indication that my NVidia drivers needed to be similarly removed. I chose the first option for their removal (as I have done in the past as the best option) and am hoping that the proper drivers for the 13.2 kernel-desktop will be left alone so as not to have to attempt a reinstallation of these. Being without the Firefox browser problem solved, I’m hoping, too, that I don’t end up having to reinstall totally my 13.2 opsys.

Wish me luck because I’m just about to reboot my machine as I type this message.

No, no playing with KDE plasma 5 stuff. Don’t even know what that is.

RE: moving files - I don’t know even where to begin to understand what files you are referencing. I have done nothing to my system other than apply the updates that I was advised about on the panel at the bottom of my desktop screen which I made reference to in my beginning posts. As I first stated, my browsers began acting up after these recent updates were applied. I normally don’t play around with a working configuration either in my opsys configuration or the browser.

Hope this helps explain more fully for you.

On 2015-01-27 19:36, chuckenheimer wrote:

>
> Well, I’m waiting with baited breath hoping I’ve performed your
> instructions correctly. Even though I didn’t see the exact same
> information regarding these removals as you’ve provided, I have gone
> ahead with what I believe to be the correct procedure and am currently
> watching the display of the deinstallation as it progresses. What I have
> concerns about is that when I selected the 13.1 kernel-desktop option, I
> was greeted with an indication that my NVidia drivers needed to be
> similarly removed. I chose the first option for their removal (as I have
> done in the past as the best option) and am hoping that the proper
> drivers for the 13.2 kernel-desktop will be left alone so as not to have
> to attempt a reinstallation of these. Being without the Firefox browser
> problem solved, I’m hoping, too, that I don’t end up having to reinstall
> totally my 13.2 opsys.

Yes, you should have corresponding nvidia drivers for the kernel of
13.2; the ones for 13.1 might not work.

> Wish me luck because I’m just about to reboot my machine as I type this
> message.

Done :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.