All browsers fail to initialize fully after most recent update of system

[QUOTE=Miuku;2690333]Can you resolve any hosts?

From any terminal run; nslookup www.google.com

If this fails, go and check your network settings, mainly name resolution aka DNS. You can use 8.8.8.8 temporarily (this is Google’s DNS)/QUOTE

google.com was resolved

[quote="“chuckenheimer,post:21,topic:106279”]

I just did a nslookup download.nvidia.com and pasted it as before to c39e3c5d0fb5

FYI.

On 2015-01-20 21:26, chuckenheimer wrote:

> …about to do a distribution upgrade with enabled repos…
> Download (curl) error for "http://download.nvidia.com/
> Error code: Connection failed
> Error message: Could not resolve host: http://download.nvidia.com

I would just disable that repository for the moment.

Mmm…

I’m unsure…

[thinking]

Strange… not resolve? :-?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

FYI, update:

I’ve just performed this suggested zypper dup command with the nvidia repo disabled as had been suggested by Carlos. I’m currently awaiting further suggestion.

Thank you.

Doggone. It seems my help has dropped into the void. Does anybody have any further suggestions for me?

Long thread I forget some that came before did you try a different user? Though I admit I can’t figure why a config problem would hit all browsers. But worth a shot if not tried before.

Thanks for jumping in. I am sad to say that Firefox responds exactly the way it had been even when instantiating under the new user account I created. As does Konquerer fail and Chrome never appears at all on the desktop, just the bouncing icon on the mouse cursor and then nothing.

I have only glanced short through all the above, but when you talk about “bouncing icon only” then the standard thing asked from you is of course to start it from a terminal and post what happens. I did not see those three (you have three browser IIAC) outputs. Or was I to quick inglancing through the thread?

Thanks to you, too, Henk.

Let me begin by saying that Konquerer is the only browser that will stay on the desktop when it is first initialized. Once I browse to a webpage, for example the login page for this forum, the browser abends displaying the KDE Crash Handler with the Details: Executable: konqueror PID: 2923 Signal: Illegal Instruction (4) Time: 01/24/15 12:43:52 PM
Thereafter I just CLOSE that application and I’m back to an empty desktop.

Instantiating Firefox from a terminal command box yields (process:3139): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion ‘sys_page_size == 0’ failed and drops then to the command prompt.

Instantiating Chromium from a terminal command box yields Illegal instruction and similarly drops to the command prompt.

Hope this helps.

Wild guess, you have some wrong library that is used by all of them.

But that is more easy said then cured. :frowning:

Removing all repos execpt OSS, non-OSS and their Update fellows and doing a zypper dup, might be my idea. But I guess that was already proposed and done.

On 2015-01-24 20:06, hcvv wrote:
>
> Wild guess, you have some wrong library that is used by all of them.

A library of the wrong arch, perhaps? :-?

> But that is more easy said then cured. :frowning:

Indeed.

> Removing all repos execpt OSS, non-OSS and their Update fellows and
> doing a zypper dup, might be my idea. But I guess that was already
> proposed and done.

Yes, a zypper dup was done.

Sorry, I’m out of ideas.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

I performed the zypper dup command as was referenced in my earlier post.

So where does that leave me now?

Worth a shot (but no promises)

zypper verify

Interestingly, packman repo was out-of-date, suggested and completed zypper refresh.

All told, your suggestion yielded Firefox and Thunderbird be deinstalled and I allowed this option to complete. However afterward I saw the Firefox icon on the taskbar and tried initializing it only to be met with the browser appearing on the desktop but immediately abending as before. I have just now rebooted and will try again.

There seems to be a situation where neither Firefox nor Thunderbird was deinstalled. So I have used YaST to deinstall them which I am performing now. Will see what comes of this.

Oh, and thanks for jumping in. :slight_smile:

Any possibility you managed to install multiple versions?

That is what I was thinking. After removing the version with zypper verify command and seeing that Firefox was still enabled otherwise, I removed the “other” version with YaST and finally seem to have them all removed.

What about that?

Now rename the .mozilla directory so it creates new configs Also with other browser in the appropriate directories and reinstall. Hard to tell what multiple copies might have done to the configs.

Embarrassingly, I’ve forgotten how to find this directory.

It is in your home directory like all those personal setings.

ls -l ~/.mozilla