Akonadi crashes on boot

For no apparent reason, Akonadi crashes on startup leaving a movable mouse pointer on a black window. I can alt-ctrl-F1 to get a terminal. If I use akonadictl start, I get the message, 'xcb not loaded in “”. Qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found." Everything had been working fine. I updated all the software in the system whether it needed or not, made sure Qt was coming from the same repository, https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_Leap_$releasever, deleted all akonadi references in .local/share to be sure to get rid of the database, and deleted all references to akonadi in .config. Nothing seems to help. Everything was working fine, until my wife rebooted her computer this morning. My computer, with the exact same configuration is working perfectly. Any help would be appreciated.

The place to start when deleting files because of KDE problems is ~/.cache/. Log out of Plasma and delete the entire content of that directory before logging back into Plasma, preferably from one of the vttys instead of any X session that ever causes writes to that location.

@bearymore;

With Akonadi, two important database commands are –

• akonadictl fsck
  • akonadictl vacuum

To check for failures caused by incoming messages and, sometimes, appointments –

• akonadictl fsck 2>&1| grep -iE ‘found|no RID’

[HR][/HR]In addition, with respect to the “ xcb not loaded in Qt.qpa.plugin:” issue, it the Qt forums there’s an indication that the library “libxcb-util.so.0” may be the problem.

• This library is provided by the “libxcb-util1” package and, there may be issues caused by various versions being present on the system.

You need to check if, on Leap 15.3, the version 0.4.0-1.23 is installed.