After updating KDE components, stuck in SDDM login loop

Hello,

I am running Tumbleweed and after installing package updates today, I can’t log into my system. I enter my password correctly in the SDDM screen, then when I press the login button it looks like it tries to enter the desktop but it just brings me back to the SDDM login screen.

Not sure if related, but after the issues with the Mesa drivers, I locked the Mesa packages to 24.0.9. Next, I ran sudo zypper dup. Got a bunch of package updates for KDE, along with the 6.9.5 kernel and a few other software updates.

After installing the update, I rebooted my system and the issue started happening.

I am running under Wayland. In a Plasma-X11 session, I can login, but everything runs very slowly and there are no animations. Plasma-Wayland just brings me back to the login screen.

Not even sure what logs to post.

I would appreciate any pointers for fixing this issue. I’ve tried looking it up but all I found were old posts with no discernable solutions.

Thank you!

Please do not tell in vague English wording what you do, but provide exact commands.

Most likely you locked the Mesa packages but not related dri drivers etc. and you now have incompatible drivers that just use software rendering. Since a fix for Mesa has just reached the emergency update channel, you might be able to remove the locks and do a full dup shortly. Please see Catastrophic result after today's graphics driver update - #147 by OrsoBruno

I provided the exact command in my original post. Here is the output of running that command:

> sudo zypper dup
Repository 'devel:languages:R:autoCRAN' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                   
Repository 'Main Repository (NON-OSS)' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                    
Repository 'Main Repository (OSS)' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                        
Repository 'Main Update Repository' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                       
Repository 'Packman Essentials Repository' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                
Repository 'Packman Repository' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                           
Repository 'home:Dead_Mozay:GNOME:Apps' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                   
Repository 'home:Herbster0815' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                            
Repository 'home:MasterPatricko' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                          
Repository 'home:MaxxedSUSE' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                              
Repository 'home:ahmedmoselhi2' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                           
Repository 'home:bandithijo' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                              
Repository 'home:j-engel' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Repository 'home:mizukami' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                
Repository 'home:weearcm' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Repository 'home:zzndb001' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                
Repository 'Microsoft Edge' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                               
Repository 'GitHub Desktop' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                               
Repository 'openSUSE-20240414-0' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                          
Repository 'packages-microsoft-com-prod' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                  
Repository 'Packman' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Repository 'Open H.264 Codec (openSUSE Tumbleweed)' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                       
Repository 'science' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Retrieving repository 'Visual Studio Code' metadata ...............................................................................................................................................................................[done]
Building repository 'Visual Studio Code' cache ....................................................................................................................................................................................[done]
All repositories have been refreshed.
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Computing distribution upgrade...

The following 14 items are locked and will not be changed by any action:
 Installed:
  libvulkan_radeon Mesa Mesa-demo-egl Mesa-demo-x Mesa-dri Mesa-gallium Mesa-KHR-devel Mesa-libEGL1 Mesa-libEGL-devel Mesa-libGL1 Mesa-libglapi0 Mesa-libGL-devel Mesa-libva Mesa-vulkan-device-select

The following 353 packages are going to be upgraded:
  akonadi akonadi-calendar akonadi-contacts akonadi-import-wizard akonadi-mime akonadi-plugin-calendar akonadi-plugin-contacts akonadi-plugin-mime akonadi-search alsa alsa-plugins alsa-plugins-speexrate alsa-plugins-upmix
  alsa-ucm-conf alsa-utils ark baloo-widgets calendarsupport code cpupower cpupower-bash-completion discord dolphin dolphin-part dolphin-plugins eventviews ffmpegthumbs filelight fish flatpak flatpak-remote-flathub fwupd
  fwupd-bash-completion fwupd-fish-completion gcr3-data gcr3-prompter gcr3-ssh-askpass grantleetheme gtk3-devel gtk3-immodule-amharic gtk3-immodule-inuktitut gtk3-immodule-thai gtk3-immodule-tigrigna gtk3-immodule-vietnamese gwenview
  hwdata icewm icewm-config-upstream icewm-default icewm-lang incidenceeditor issue-generator java-21-openjdk java-21-openjdk-headless kaccounts-integration kaccounts-providers kalendarac kcalc kcalutils kcharselect kcolorchooser
  kdeconnect-kde kdegraphics-thumbnailers kdenetwork-filesharing kdepim-addons kdepim-runtime kdesdk-scripts-kf6-porting kdialog kernel-firmware-all kernel-firmware-amdgpu kernel-firmware-ath10k kernel-firmware-ath11k
  kernel-firmware-ath12k kernel-firmware-atheros kernel-firmware-bluetooth kernel-firmware-bnx2 kernel-firmware-brcm kernel-firmware-chelsio kernel-firmware-dpaa2 kernel-firmware-i915 kernel-firmware-intel kernel-firmware-iwlwifi
  kernel-firmware-liquidio kernel-firmware-marvell kernel-firmware-media kernel-firmware-mediatek kernel-firmware-mellanox kernel-firmware-mwifiex kernel-firmware-network kernel-firmware-nfp kernel-firmware-nvidia
  kernel-firmware-platform kernel-firmware-prestera kernel-firmware-qcom kernel-firmware-qlogic kernel-firmware-radeon kernel-firmware-realtek kernel-firmware-serial kernel-firmware-sound kernel-firmware-ti kernel-firmware-ueagle
  kernel-firmware-usb-network khelpcenter kidentitymanagement kidentitymanagement-lang kimap kio_audiocd kio-extras kio-gdrive kio_kamera kipi-plugins kitinerary kldap kleopatra kmag kmail kmail-account-wizard kmail-application-icons
  kmailtransport kmbox kmime kmousetool knotes konsole konsole-part konsole-part-lang kontact kontactinterface konversation kpimtextedit kpkpass kpmcore ksmtp ksystemlog ktnef ktnef-debug-categories kvm_stat libasound2 libatopology2
  libavahi-glib1 libcpupower1 libdolphinvcs6 libeconf0 libeconf-devel libeditorconfig0 libepoxy0 libepoxy-devel libfdk-aac2 libffado2 libflatpak0 libfreebl3 libfwupd2 libgbm1 libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-1 libgravatar libgtk-3-0
  libkaccounts6-2 libKCddb5 libkcddb-qt6 libKCompactDisc6-5 libkcompactdisc-lang libkdcraw-qt6 libKDcrawQt6-5 libkdepim libkerfuffle24 libkexiv2-qt6 libKExiv2Qt6-0 libKF5Kipi32_0_0 libKF5Wallet5 libkgapi6 libkgapi6-lang
  libkgapi6-sasl2-kdexoauth2 libkioarchive6-6 libkipi-data libkleo libKPim6AddressbookImportExport6 libKPim6AkonadiAgentBase6 libKPim6AkonadiCalendar6 libKPim6AkonadiContactCore6 libKPim6AkonadiContactWidgets6 libKPim6AkonadiCore6
  libKPim6AkonadiMime6 libKPim6AkonadiNotes6 libKPim6AkonadiPrivate6 libKPim6AkonadiSearch6 libKPim6AkonadiWidgets6 libKPim6AkonadiXml6 libKPim6CalendarSupport6 libKPim6CalendarUtils6 libKPim6EventViews6 libKPim6GAPICalendar6
  libKPim6GAPICore6 libKPim6GAPIDrive6 libKPim6GAPIPeople6 libKPim6GAPITasks6 libKPim6GrantleeTheme6 libKPim6Gravatar6 libKPim6IdentityManagementCore6 libKPim6IdentityManagementWidgets6 libKPim6IMAP6 libKPim6ImportWizard6
  libKPim6IncidenceEditor6 libKPim6Itinerary6 libKPim6KontactInterface6 libKPim6LdapCore6 libKPim6LdapWidgets6 libKPim6Libkdepim6 libKPim6libkleo6 libKPim6MailCommon6 libKPim6MailImporter6 libKPim6MailImporterAkonadi6
  libKPim6MailTransport6 libKPim6Mbox6 libKPim6Mime6 libKPim6MimeTreeParserCore6 libKPim6MimeTreeParserWidgets6 libKPim6PimCommon6 libKPim6PimCommonAkonadi6 libKPim6PkPass6 libKPim6SMTP6 libKPim6TextEdit6 libKPim6Tnef6 libkpmcore12
  libKSaneCore6-1 libksane-icons libksane-lang libKSaneWidgets6 libksieve libksieve6 libnfsidmap1 libnghttp2-14 libntfs-3g89 libopenblas_openmp0 libopencv409 libpcsclite1 libpng16-16 libpng16-16-x86-64-v3 libpng16-compat-devel
  libpng16-devel libpython2_7-1_0 libQMobipocket6-2 libqpdf29 libQt5Core5 libQt5Core-devel libQt5DBus5 libQt5DBus-devel libQt5Gui5 libQt5Gui-devel libQt5Network5 libQt5OpenGL5 libQt5PrintSupport5 libqt5-qtbase-common-devel
  libqt5-qtbase-platformtheme-gtk3 libQt5Sql5 libQt5Sql5-sqlite libQt5Test5 libQt5Widgets5 libQt5Widgets-devel libQt5Xml5 libQt5Xml-devel libQt6Concurrent6 libQt6Core6 libQt6DBus6 libQt6Gui6 libQt6Network6 libQt6OpenGL6
  libQt6OpenGLWidgets6 libQt6PrintSupport6 libQt6Sql6 libQt6Test6 libQt6Widgets6 libQt6Xml6 libSDL-1_2-0 libSDL2-2_0-0 libsoftokn3 libspice-client-glib-2_0-8 libspice-client-glib-helper libspice-client-gtk-3_0-5 libstorage-ng1
  libstorage-ng-lang libstorage-ng-ruby libva-glx2 libvdpau_r600 libvdpau_radeonsi libvirglrenderer1 mailcommon mailimporter man-pages mbox-importer messagelib microsoft-edge-stable mimetreeparser mozilla-nss mozilla-nss-certs
  mozilla-nss-sysinit nfs-client nfs-kernel-server nodejs-electron ntfs-3g ntfsprogs okular openSUSE-release openSUSE-release-ftp partitionmanager pcsc-lite pimcommon pim-data-exporter pim-sieve-editor python311-certifi
  python311-gobject python311-gobject-cairo python311-gobject-Gdk python311-lxml python311-urllib3 python-base qt6-base-common-devel qt6-base-devel qt6-concurrent-devel qt6-core-devel qt6-core-private-devel qt6-dbus-devel
  qt6-docs-common qt6-gui-devel qt6-network-devel qt6-networkinformation-glib qt6-networkinformation-nm qt6-network-tls qt6-opengl-devel qt6-openglwidgets-devel qt6-platformtheme-gtk3 qt6-printsupport-cups qt6-printsupport-devel
  qt6-sql-devel qt6-sql-mysql qt6-sql-sqlite qt6-test-devel qt6-widgets-devel qt6-xml-devel signon-kwallet-extension skanlite spectacle system-user-flatpak trash_kcm typelib-1_0-Fwupd-2_0 typelib-1_0-Gtk-3_0
  typelib-1_0-SpiceClientGlib-2_0 typelib-1_0-SpiceClientGtk-3_0 ucode-amd wget wxWidgets-lang yakuake yast2-storage-ng

The following product is going to be upgraded:
  openSUSE Tumbleweed  20240613-0 -> 20240618-0

The following 4 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  kernel-default-6.9.5-1.1 nodejs22 npm22 virtualbox-kmp-default-7.0.18_k6.9.5_1-1.6

The following 2 packages are going to be REMOVED:
  nodejs21 npm21

The following package requires a system reboot:
  kernel-default-6.9.5-1.1

353 packages to upgrade, 4 new, 2 to remove.
Overall download size: 1,27 GiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 257,0 MiB will be used.

Note: System reboot required.

Backend:  classic_rpmtrans
Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): y

The command output I pasted above also contains all of the locked Mesa packages. I don’t think I missed any: I just searched for “mesa” in YaST and locked every installed package that showed up in the results. Either way, here’s to hoping the emergency update fixes both the KDE update issue and the Mesa driver issues.

You may have missed the like of libvdpau or libvulkan etc. that don’t have “Mesa” in the name but must be from a compatible version to work properly.
Anyway, do you have an AMD GPU? If so follow Catastrophic result after today's graphics driver update
If not AMD, your problem is different.

@shelomoh as indicated by @OrsoBruno about an AMD gpu, then it could be related to this list of non standard repos and what is coming from them.

Repository 'devel:languages:R:autoCRAN' is up to date.
Repository 'home:Dead_Mozay:GNOME:Apps' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                   
Repository 'home:Herbster0815' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                            
Repository 'home:MasterPatricko' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                          
Repository 'home:MaxxedSUSE' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                              
Repository 'home:ahmedmoselhi2' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                           
Repository 'home:bandithijo' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                              
Repository 'home:j-engel' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Repository 'home:mizukami' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                
Repository 'home:weearcm' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Repository 'home:zzndb001' is up to date.     
Repository 'Microsoft Edge' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                               
Repository 'GitHub Desktop' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                               
Repository 'openSUSE-20240414-0' is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                          
Repository 'packages-microsoft-com-prod' is up to date. 
Repository 'science' is up to date.    

There should be no need for locks on Mesa now…

Well, the Packman version seems still broken. Only the 24.1.1-385.1 in the oss/update repo seems to be fixed at the time of writing this.

@OrsoBruno yes, because the update channel is outside of the factory link which Packman build against…

2 Likes

I got it working again. The new drivers allowed me to upgrade without any troubles.

I had to run:

• sudo zypper dup --from http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/ --allow-vendor-change: for the fixed Mesa drivers (previously, they were installed from Packman) - thanks to this Reddit post
  • sudo zypper dup: to update KDE & the rest of my system

Worth noting: changing vendors for the Mesa drivers showed up as a downgrade. So, if after this you run sudo zypper dup --allow-vendor-change, it will prompt you to change Mesa drivers back to the Packman repository. You do not want that, at least for now. I understand it’s not recommended to use --allow-vendor-change when doing regular upgrades. I just want to write it down in case anyone else runs into trouble.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.