Advice to buy a router

My prehistoric router is likely to die soon and I need to buy a new one. A technical friend advises that many routers now need to be set up using an Android smartphone app. I don’t have an Android phone. Could someone recommend one that can be set up from a desktop (Linux) computer? Thanks in advance.

I haven’t seen many that require using an Android app. I use a router from gl.inet that has an app as an option, but the web interface is present.

I have a preference for routers that run openWRT. Until I updated to this new gl.inet router, I had been using a Linksys WRT3200ACM with openWRT installed on it.

Since this isn’t really about hardware related to openSUSE, I’m going to shift it over to the open chat category. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FWIW, I just changed service provider which also meant upgrading my router at home, and I opted for a nice slimline TP-Link Archer Air R5 AX3000 model. Works well for my needs, and can be set up via an iPhone/Android app, or via a web interface.

The one from my provider has limited setup with web interface. For full setup options, I need to use one of those stupid apps on one of those handheld Stupid Phones.

So, I have my own router inside of the supplier’s router network, one I have full setup options from my desktop.

My own router, with all options from the desktop, is a D-Link model DIR 842 Gigabit Router.

It depends, my home is all TP-Link, if you buy one of their mesh supported router+AP combos it can be meshed together in the future under a single SSID. They all support auto-updates which I think is neat.

That said, I do remember from one of your previous posts you have a multi-WAN config. So in this case a TP-Link ER 605 business router would be better (it has multi-WAN support and even supports 4G USB dongles). I use this, it doesn’t have the auto-update feature (or wireless access point) but they do release updates one or twice an year which is nice. You would need to pair it with one of their router+AP (router part disabled) combos that support mesh for wireless connectivity. I find their standalone APs to be badly priced and very expensive.

Btw, they all support setup using the web browser. I have tried their Android app once, but I prefer the web interface or anything that’s not a smartphone :wink:

As already mentioned above all of them can be set up by a website regardless of OS. Just go into their default ip by typing 192.168.1.1 in a web browser and log in. Some have app as well, I do prefer the web interface.
Deciding router is more a question of coverage, speed and capacity based on your house/flat and number of users (persons + devices). I just replaced my old Netgear with a Netgear Orbi RBK853 mesh (package with router and two satellites) so I can cover my hole 3 floor house and garden. The speed is insane (overkill for the most), so is the price but the coverage was the reason I bought it. Both TP-Link and and Netgear have good mesh alternatives at different price levels. If you have a small flat, a mesh is not needed. I would go for a wifi6 router, wifi6e is a total overkill and waste. So IMHO your area to be covered, number of users/devices (also type of use) and and not at least, your budget, is what should be your main criteria.

AVM FRITZ!Box → <https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/>

I’ve always used either TP-Link or Tenda, and while they can be setup using an app, they always exposed the admin interface over http.

AVM FRITZ!Box supports the following languages →

Here’s some administration counters in English → 2 minute reboot needed …

I used various openWRT routers for a long time (ready-made like GL.iNet as well as updating TP-link, Netgear and others) and liked them all. Then I wanted to play a bit with wifi 6 and thus bought a Mikrotik hAP ax². …and I like that too. Both openWRT and Mikrotik routers can be set up (and tweaked) through web (or even SSH if you prefer the command line). If you like a simple web interface then I don’t recommend a Mikrotik router. For power users (or curious learners) it is an absolute amusement park, though.

If your techie friends must use their phones there are apps for both systems but there’s nothing forcing you (or them) to use an app.

The latest gl.inet routers support wifi 6 as well, FWIW.

1 Like

@ionmich:

Does the connection to your ISP also carry VoIP (Voice over IP) in parallel to the IP data traffic?

• If that’s the case, please be aware that, ideally, you need some spare DSL bandwidth or, spare glass fibre bandwidth, to handle the VoIP packets without suffering any voice quality degradation.

• If, you also have VoIP then, you’ll also have to ensure that, your new Router includes telephony hardware – at least DECT support plus, optionally, analogue telephone support – AFAICS, ISDN telephones have almost completely disappeared from the market.

No, not all of them. The Rogers/Shaw supplied Modem/Router only has very basic capabilities for setup by anything other than a smart phone. Advanced and desired setup by Network Administrator can ONLY be done with a smart phone using an App.

I detest smart phones and these stupid apps that are being forced on us, so I have my own router on the inside that I made certain full control from my tower PC and laptops would be available before I bought it.

Tested a refurbished 7490, but eventually bought a new 7530 AX. It does what I need and has a comfortable Web Interface.

My (Australia) Network router was provided by Telstra, and was reasonably easy to get it working.

Modem Information

Serial No: CP2324Jxxxx
Firmware Number: 21.4.0439-MR2.1-RA
Modem Make Model: Technicolor CobraXh

Thanks to all for your advice. Now I have to see what’s available in my current location…Mexico. Not really a third world country. More like two. Parts outlets stock limited selections many of them being truly inferior.

1 Like

Unfortunately, AVM doesn’t seem to have any representation in Mexico – <https://en.avm.de/service/distributors/europe/spain/>

@ionmich I have a SBG7400AC2 Arris cable router here… web or app based access. Best to check your ISP Web page to see what routers they actually support. The other option is an LTE based one if want to be mobile, models also come with ethernet so can plug into a computer or switch…

1 Like

Your device appears to be a modem+router+AP combo.
It’s wise to check if the ISP’s combo box supports bridge connection, if it does (it should) that’s all you need to install any router + AP of your own. Basically the device from the ISP will only perform modem functions and not anything else.

1 Like

@pavinjoseph Yup, I own it, have full access, the ISP keeps it up to date with their firmware… I can bridge it, but has all the features needed. I also have a Netgear extender at the other end of the house for outside access…

1 Like