Add DVD as repo

So, here’s the silly story: When I set this system up, I had a static IP address and so, I didn’t install any of the DHCP packages. Now, the system has changed to DHCP and I need to install the packages off of the DVD to enable DHCP. (I now know how silly that was) Of course, the DVD is no longer listed as a repo, so I first need the command(s) to add the DVD as a repo. I should be able to take it from there with yast.

Many thanks,

Mark

You can put the DVD iso somewhere on the system, and use YaST’s repository manager to add the iso. You can also boot from the DVD, choose the Boot from Harddisk option, your system will boot, then use YaST’s repo manager the same way.

But I don’t get what the problem is in setting it back to static. Is the system connected to a router or directly to a modem?

Another thing: the dhcp client packages are part of the default install, any reasons for removing the dhcp packages?

And finally: You don’t need a DHCP server on a basic default system, the client you need. So please elaborate on what the problem exactly is. The better your info, the easier it is to help you get things back to work.

I do not understand this. You managed to NOT install the DHCP client software? That is something I would not know how to do. It is an integral part of a normal installation and thus you must have done something very special to NOT install it. Something that does not fit with your simple statement “I didn’t install…”.

I get the strong impression that you have some DHCP problem and walk some path to try to solve that. One step in that path is apparently that repo-DVD question. My suggestion is to not ask for the step, but to post your real probem (and better in a new thread because the title then will be much different).

When I install from a DVD, the DVD is usually left as a configured repo, but is disabled. I would use Yast Software Repositories to enable it.

If it is not configured at all, you can still use Yast Software Repositories. Simple click the “Add” button. One of the options should be for a DVD (or maybe it says CD).

I recently did an install from a DVD. This was on a KVM virtual machine with the “.iso” file as a virtual DVD. I did a very minimal install, so that it would finish quickly. Later, I wanted to add more from the DVD. So I used Yast Software Reposories to enable the DVD repo and disable all of the other repos. Then I installed what I wanted from the DVD. Finally, I again disabled the DVD repo, and re-enable the oss, non-oss and update repos. Maybe I should add that this was for the 15.1 alpha test release.

Why not static IP? For years, I have had a static IP on my local net. I have given it up and switched to dynamic (financial reasons).

At the time I created the static network, I (although I hate to admit it) disliked dynamic IP so much that I removed the DHCP client as a personal statement against DHCP I don’t recall if I removed any other DHCP stuff at the time since that was dozen years ago. Now I need DHCP login. I do see the bigger picture after having administered a large network, so my dislike of DHCP has gone away.

So, that is how I have gotten to where I am now. I need to put the DHCP back in place so I can access network services now, and reconfigure the rest of the network.

Thanks,
Mark

I still don’t see what’s wrong with enabling static for now, so that you have an internetconnection, then install dhcp-client and perform the switfch to DHCP afterwards. And, I also don’t see what financial reasons matter in this case.

So, today I booted from the Leap 42.3 DVD and selected the installed system. In YAST2, I deactivated all repos except the DVD. I then selected the DHCP-client file and marked it “update unconditionally” (in an attempt to install the version on the DVD and replace whatever updte is there) and when I choose “OK” nothing happened. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Mark

You simply have to install it. Not update/unconditionally update

Around here a static IP is an extra expense which I decided that I need to do without. (no, I’m not going into any more details than that)

Thanks,
Mark

So, I’m wondering if this is useful information:
I ran ifconfig eth0 and got the following output:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 6C:62:6D:3D:16:9E  
          inet addr:192.168.1.155  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::6e62:6dff:fe3d:169e/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:13224 errors:0 dropped:2 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:13970 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:1037103 (1012.7 Kb)  TX bytes:1280974 (1.2 Mb)

I see that packets are being sent and received, which is a good thing, but I still can’t get any web pages (even google.com) to load. Does this help figure out what problem I’m having?

Other info is that I’m now at a W-10 computer (on the same network) which handles the DHCP just fine.

Thanks,
Mark

Do you get a response from

ping 8.8.8.8

If you do, then run (as root)

netconfig update --force-replace

That should update “/etc/resolv.conf” for you.

No. The ping 8.8.8.8 command gave me “Network is unreachable”.

I tried #route -n
to see what is up with the routing table.
That gave me:

#route -n

Destination    Gateway   GenMask            Flags    Metric    Ref    Use    Iface
192.168.1.0   0.0.0.0    255.255.255.0       U           0        0        0     eth0

Here’s an oddball thought:
It is on my list of “things to do ™” to upgrade from 42.3 to 15 . In your experience, will doing the upgrade fix this problem? If so, that is what I will do.

Many thanks,
Mark

The discussion is now about the network connection that is not available, but your original question was to add the OSS repo that is on the ISO (on the DVD or elsewhere on the system) to the repo list. In posts #2 and #4 hints were given. I read nowhere above that you tried that, let alone what was the result of the trial.:frowning:

Then, in all honesty, you should just configure a static IP setup, at least for now.

That’s what I would do.

I realize you said that a static setup is an extra cost. But it shouldn’t be. This is entirely within your own network. You would be defining the static IP to be 192.168.1.155. And you would set the netmask to 255.255.255.0 with default gateway as the IP of your home router. Your ISP may charge extra for a static IP, but that’s the public IP assigned to your router, not the private IPs within your home network.

And I’ll admit that I don’t know your local setup, so I could be mistaken there.

Here’s an oddball thought:
It is on my list of “things to do ™” to upgrade from 42.3 to 15 . In your experience, will doing the upgrade fix this problem? If so, that is what I will do.

No guarantees on that. When I went from 42.3 to 15.0, that broke my network. I had to switch to static setup to get things going, until I found how to reconfigure “wicked”.

OK. I didn’t make my original question clear enough. When this system was built quite a few years ago, I had a static IP address. This allowed me to not use DHCP (because at the time I didn’t like it. I didn’t like it so much that i manually removed the dhclient program) Time passed and the extra monies that I had to spend for the static IP became unnecessary, and so I gave it up and switched to FIOS with its DHCP.

So, I went into yast and commented out all repos except the DVD. I put in the 14.3 DVD. When I found the dhclient listing, it was marked as installed. I tried options (I don’t remember which…force update? upgrade?) to reinstall dhclient, but that didn’t work. At this time, I was informed that DHCP is installed with the basic install and all I had to do was to “install it” but I couldn’t see a way to do so. So, I left the idea of getting the dhclient installed as a dead end.

My thought today was that, since I haven’t had success (and I thought this should be easy) I would try something that is on my agenda to do: upgrade from 14.3 to 15. But, today I was told that this might not fix the dhcp problem so I am at a bit of a loss.

I am grasping at straws and looking for what I think should be an easy solution. (I now know that I should not have manually deleted dhclient, but 20/20 hindsight doesn’t get things fixed.)

If I haven’t clarified enough, please let me know. I think I’ve covered everything.

Mark

On Sun 09 Dec 2018 05:46:03 PM CST, MarkNei wrote:

hcvv;2888413 Wrote:
> The discussion is now about the network connection that is not
> available, but your original question was to add the OSS repo that is
> on the ISO (on the DVD or elsewhere on the system) to the repo list.
> In posts #2 and #4 hints were given. I read nowhere above that you
> tried that, let alone what was the result of the trial.:frowning:

OK. I didn’t make my original question clear enough. When this system
was built quite a few years ago, I had a static IP address. This
allowed me to not use DHCP (because at the time I didn’t like it. I
didn’t like it so much that i manually removed _t_he dhclient program)
Time passed and the extra monies that I had to spend for the static IP
became unnecessary, and so I gave it up and switched to FIOS with its
DHCP.

So, I went into yast and commented out all repos except the DVD. I put
in the 14.3 DVD. When I found the dhclient listing, it was marked as
installed. I tried options (I don’t remember which…force update?
upgrade?) to reinstall dhclient, but that didn’t work. At this time, I
was informed that DHCP is installed with the basic install and all I had
to do was to “install it” but I couldn’t see a way to do so. So, I left
the idea of getting the dhclient installed as a dead end.

My thought today was that, since I haven’t had success (and I thought
this should be easy) I would try something that is on my agenda to do:
upgrade from 14.3 to 15. But, today I was told that this might not fix
the dhcp problem so I am at a bit of a loss.

I am grasping at straws and looking for what I think should be an easy
solution. (I now know that I should not have manually deleted dhclient,
but 20/20 hindsight doesn’t get things fixed.)

If I haven’t clarified enough, please let me know. I think I’ve covered
everything.

Mark

Hi
Your making a simple issue much more complicated than necessary… I’m
guessing 42.3 as well :wink:

So on the machine with your dvd repo active;

zypper in -f dhcp dhcp-client

Now fire up YaST network settings (of via cli run yast lan). Now on
your interface, select it and edit and check the dhcp box, save and
exit.

dhclient is some other distro speak, not openSUSE…

So your FIOS connection is just FIOS -<> ethernet and you connect
direct, or is it a router (part number/model)?

If it’s just a media converter, then above will work fine. If it’s a
router, then above will work fine assuming the router dishes out dhcp
for your internal network.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

What is not clear to me:

1. Did you deinstall the DHCP client software in the way we understand “deinstall” as by deinstalling a package (with YaST or zypper) or do you mean with “deinstall” something like removing some files you did not like and thus breaking the package? This so we understand the same thing when you talk about “deinstall”.
  2. When this is about a package, then please provide the name of the package so we all know what we are talking about.
  3. Above you mention that you did add the DVD as a repo and tried to install from it. Is it now correct to assume that your original question about how to “Add DVD as repo” is of no importance because you know how to to it and you did it?
  4. Your story about trying options (which you forgot) to install the package (of which we now know the name when you answered all questions above) is very unclear. Either the package is not there and can thus be installed as usual, or you broke the package (see question 1 above) and then you have to force install it
zypper in -f ......

So please try and post here what the results are (copy/paste and between CODE tags, less telling, more showing).

Please answer all questions one by one so we get a structured idea about what was and is done.

And you strory about aqn ISP that lets you pay for a fixed IP is also unclear. Either the situation as nrickert assumes and then the systems IP address is in your “home” network and fylly up to you, or you are trying to use a company/campus/university network, which then is NOT called an ISP (but they have an ISP, not you).

The FIOS comes into a G1100 router and an ethernet cable goes to the computer. There is no manufacturer listed.

Anyway, I reconfigured the repos to just have the 42.3 DVD as active. I tried to use zypper to install, but it couldn’t find the files, so I used rpm to install dhcp and dhcp-client. That did not give any errors.
I checked the network settings in YAST and DHCP is selected.

After doing that, I have web access. problem solved. CASE CLOSED!!! Yay!

Thank you very much for the help.

Mark