Acer Aspire Timeline 4810T

Hello!

On the mentioned laptop I use OpenSUSE 11.2 with KDE. Most things work fine except two things:

• screen brightness: the slider in the power managment has no effect.
  • sound: playing music with amarok works, sound playing videos with kaffeine and smplayer works, but youtube videos in firefox come without sound. Also in Battle for Wesnoth (version 1.6 from the games repository) there is no sound.

I have not investigated the problem with screen brightness in detail. In order to get the sound in smplayer working I had to change the outputdriver from “alsa” to “alsa0.0(HMA Intel)”.

I don’t know how to do something similar in other applications. When I try accessing the settings for the flash player in firefox (rightclick on movie, choose settings) the small window is not responsive.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the fuzzy problem description. As you know time is always a factor.

Thanks!

look at /etc/modprobe.d/sound

it should be something like this

options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0
  # u1Nb.jN8_s9AC_37:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
  alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

if it is just add this “model=acer” in the options line after snd-hda-intel

like so

options snd-hda-intel model=acer enable=1 index=0
  # u1Nb.jN8_s9AC_37:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
  alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

mulligan666, that sound file creation will not help.

batemanj09, sound was changed in 11.2. There is no longer an /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, and such a file name will be ignored.

Instead it was changed to an /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file. However even if that file is edited, I don’t think the options you recommended are needed. Those options are to get basic sound functioning, not help youtube play in firefox.

mulligan666, is this a 64-bit install ? Do you have flash-player installed? Please when trying to play the youtube video, check your mixer’s PCM volume setting. If necessary try removing libflashsupport and restart and try again with firefox.

Thanks for both answers. oldcpu, the pcm mixer setting was the problem. Sound is now working as far as I can see.

I googled a bit to get the screen brightness changeable.

[ubuntu] Screen brightness on Acer 4810T - Ubuntu Forums](http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1217421)

This forum suggest to use this command:

xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native

But it only makes music playing skippy. (I don’t understand why.) There is also something about using grub2 in the above forum, but it didn’t work there I think. Is it worth a try? Any other ideas?

I forgot to mention, that the hotkeys for changing the screen brightness have no visible effect.

There is also a new problem. There is a key for disabling the touchpad. Pressing it once disables the pad. But pressing it again doesn’t enable it again. But this is really not an urgent problem.

Thanks again for the help.

mulligan666, if there are any Acer Aspire Timeline 4810T users, you may get their attention on this thread (with the title: Acer Aspire Timeline 4810T ) , but if you do not get any support , you may wish to simply start a separate thread for each of your remaining problems with an appropriate and specific title related to the problem.

Could be pulse audio. See all of step 7. SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE - step-7 pulse/skipping sound

Could be special desktop effects. Try switching them off.

Could be the sound engine you have selected (gstreamer sometimes gives those characteristics where alsa/xine combination does not).

That’s probably a good idea. I’ll open a new one.