Acer AC713 monitor flashes every few seconds

I have upgraded a computer from Windows XP to OpenSuSE 11.1.

The computer was using a Acer AC713 (http://www.paguito.com/parches/PDFPorSKU/ACEMNA03_Ficha_Tecnica.pdf) monitor without trouble under XP.

After the upgrade, the monitor started to flash every few seconds. Works perfectly otherwise.

I have tried 1024x768x16M, 1024x768x64K, 800x600x64K, and 800x600x256. No difference.

Would you please tell me what to try next?

I’ve not seen this happen yet, so I’m just guessing here.

Important before-everything-else step: save your last working (even if badly) /ext/X11/xorg.conf to a safe place, so you can restore it if (when) things go awry.

1. Hardware defect (improbable if it is so regular and works under windows)

2. Try different refresh rates.

3. What is the driver you’re using? What’s the video card (NVidia, ATI, Intel, etc.). If using the proprietary driver try the opensource one, and vice-versa (shot in the dark).

4. If you boot with a liveCD - preferably one with good hardware detection and 3D drivers like sabayon - do you have the same problem? If you don’t, note it’s /etc/xorg.conf setup and compare to the installed system’s (now this is a reasonable idea :).

5. Screensaver disabled? Lame, I know, but take a look anyway…

6. Try reseting the video config with sax2 from a terminal, you’ll find many tips on how to do this in suse’s sdb/howto’s and in this forum, do a serch.

That’s all that comes to mind right now, good luck.