Acer 5830g no sound on speaker but headphones works.

What mixer are you using? Thus far everytime you have posted a script output, your Acer’s openSUSE mixer setting has been set incorrectly - effectively blocking the sound.

Likely when you restarted the PC, an inappropriate default setting is applied that put the speaker back to zero.

Please, let me ask again, when you sent the ‘amixer’ command I recommended, did you receive any error messages ? What messages did you get ? Try sending the amixer command, then run the program ‘alsamixer’ and use that to ensure you do not have Master nor PCM volume muted and % volume levels in the 70% to 90% level region. Then go to pavucontrol and see if you can tune your audio there.

My apologies if the above reads to be very basic and you already tried the above in the specific order I suggested - but I can’t tell what sort of testing you attempted from your post.

The sound speaker should work with this Acer 5830g. Some time back I was able to successfully help a user with an Acer 5830tg (with thread here: HELP New user, no sound: Acer 5830tg with Conexant CX20588 - Hardware - openSUSE Forums ) .

How would you rate your familiarity with GNU/Linux mixer applications (such as amixer and alsamixer) ? I’m struggling a bit wrt the level advice to give as I don’t know your knowledge level, and I’m afraid if I give advice at the wrong technical level it could be discouraging to you - which I want to avoid.

Unlikely to have.

thanks :), i am a very very newbie user, i usually use the KDE mixer, the icon in the taskbar, to adjust my volume. This is the messages i get when trying the ‘amixer’ command :
vuquangtam@linux-o6s2:~> amixer -c0 sset ‘Speaker’ on 70%
Simple mixer control ‘Speaker’,0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 74
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 52 [70%] -22.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 52 [70%] -22.00dB] [on]
i also checked the volume in the command alsamixer, % volume is same at KDE mixer and pavumixer, its set at 43%. My KDE mixer display 4 collumn, include : Built-in Audio Analog Stereo set as about 43%, and one collumn Built-in Audio Analog Stereo set as about 100%, i dont know why it have 2 collumn which have same name, the next collumn is ALSA plug-in[plug-in container]:ALSA playback (sometimes i dont see this collumn when i plug my headphone in), and PulseAudio Volume Control:Peak detect(so this is sometimes displays,sometimes dont displays) hope you will understand what i desbribe, though you dont asking me about this, so i think it can be useful information…(maybe??)

kmixer is ok … I use it also all the time. I do note thou that alsamixer often has different controls that can be useful.

That suggests the speaker volume control should have worked. However only by running the diagnostic script immediately after running amixer is it possible to tell/confirm the mixer is still setup properly.

I have no application called pavumixer. Hence I am not aware of what you refer to.

that could mean right channel and left channel. Its possible it means Master volume and PCM volume (both of which need to be turned up) but I suspect it more likely Right and left channels.

A window screen shot of the image, perhaps uploaded to http://imagebam.com , might be easier to depict what you note.

Thus far, I have not been able to rule out a poor mixer configuration, because every script output you have provided indicates the mixer misconfigured.

wrt testing your sound, you could run a ‘speaker-test’ or try an ‘aplay’ application (so to bypass pulse and take that out of the equation) or both

Try each of these when it comes to testing your audio:

speaker-test -c2 -twav

and press to cancel.

and also try this:

aplay -vv somefile.wav 

where ‘somefile.wav’ needs to be replaced with the name of a wav file on your PC. For example this should work:

aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

where the file test.wav should be located in directory aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/

thank for your infomation, i run both speaker-test and aplay, my speaker still doesn’t work, but headphone works, this is my diagnostic infomation after run amixer command : http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=2fa5038e386a18ad830694480b7b7863b3142b8d… im sorry about pavumixer, what i mean is pavucontrol:P
oh, about the KDE mixer, i cant capture the picture when i open the KDE mixer, i use fn+PrtSc to capture…
about when I test by aplay and speaker-test command, i see the signal in the pavucontrol :
http://postimg.org/image/54cqi2171/full/

The mixer setting is a bit better. You should be getting sound from your speaker. I’m a bit puzzled thou that you muted the Headphones for the speaker test. Was that a deliberate setting on your part ?

Did you have the headphones UNPLUGGED physically from the Acer 5830g during the test ? That is essential. They MUST be unplugged to use the speaker. The default setting of openSUSE is to ALWAYS mute the speakers if there is any headphone style deviced plugged in to the headphone jack. If you had your headset plugged in during the test, you MUST unplug it.

**Simple mixer control 'Master',0**
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback 74 **[100%]** [0.00dB] [on]
**Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0**
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -74.00dB] **[off]**
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -74.00dB] **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0**
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 52 **[70%]** -22.00dB] **[on]**
  Front Right: Playback 52 **[70%]** -22.00dB] **[on]**
**Simple mixer control 'PCM',0**
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 255 **[100%]** [0.00dB]

aplay works independent of pulse audio and hence independent of pulse audio volume control (pavucontrol)

Are you using a KDE desktop ? If so what you typed is very strange. With KDE-4, simply pressing “Print Screen” should launch KSnapshot which gives choices of capture mode.

What desktop are you using ? Have you been customizing how the applications are launched in your desktop ?

In addition to unplugging your headphones (when doing the test - which is ESSENTIAL) you could also try changing the automute in your mixer from ‘enabled’ to ‘disabled’ , as I note this :

Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Enabled'

That may not work, but its worth a try.

Some notebooks need the fn key + another to get things to work. My guess is the fn+prsc is needed because of layout limitations

Thanks. That explains the key sequence.

I’m still puzzled thou as it does not explain why there was no ‘capture mode’ observed (where one can select ‘Window under cursor’).

ive just run the amixer command again and run diagnostic script, this is my new diagnostic script : http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fded487e56f4223d36fe862b66643aa2db8f3f78, i’d unpluged my headphone before run the script :), im using KDE with new theme that i download in the internet :).
i dont understand this part clearly, could you explain to me clearly ?

In addition to unplugging your headphones (when doing the test - which  is ESSENTIAL) you could also try changing the automute in your mixer  from 'enabled' to 'disabled' , as I note this :
Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Enabled'

so could you teach me how to change the automute in the mixer ? thanks.

Its important that you unplug the headphone before you try to use the speaker. It does not matter if the headphone is plugged in when you run the script. But it does matter if the headphone is plugged in when you try to use the speaker. openSUSE is designed to automatically mute the speaker when the headphone is plugged in.

Please confirm that when you were testing to see if your speakers worked that you did not have your headphones plugged in. If you did have your headphones plugged in at the same time you were trying to get your speakers to work, that would have invalidated every test I tried to have you run.

I assume you should be able to do that with the program alsamixer. It should be a setting on one of the alsamixer controls. I do not have your laptop hence I can’t give you precise detail on that.

now both speaker and headphone work :), i dont know why, yesterday i just run amixer command…anyway, thank you so much so much about helping me, thank you so much :), i also learnt a lot from you, thank you !!;):wink:

That is excellent news. Congratulations.

I am happy to read this.

Well done in your perseverance to solve this.