Accessing 11.2 from XP box

I’ve performed a fresh/clean install of 11.2 using the DVD .iso. I’m now trying to configure remote access to this machine from an XP box. I downloaded NoMachine’s NX product and followed the install instructions. I also opened port 22 on my XP box and verified that Secure Shell Server is allowed in the OpenSuse11.2 firewall. However, I’m getting “Connection Refused”

I executed “./nxserver --status” on the 11.2 box and get the following: “900 ssh: connect to host 127.0.0.1 port 22: Connection refused”

Is there something else I need to install on the 11.2 box to allow SSH to work?

Hi
On the XP box you don’t need port 22 open only the 11.2 system. Have
you checked the sshd daemon is running?

sudo /sbin/chkconfig sshd

Above should say on, else

sudo /sbin/chkconfig sshd on
sudo /usr/sbin/rcsshd restart

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
up 1 day 14:44, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.09, 0.08
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Just to add to Malcolm’s post, also make sure your firewall isn’t blocking SSH. It’s not enough to simply start the daemon, you either need to turn off the SuSE firewall or allow port 22 inbound on the SuSE Box.

Hi
The OP had already done this :wink:

“and verified that Secure Shell Server is allowed in the OpenSuse11.2
firewall”

up 1 day 15:30, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.04, 0.07

sshd wasn’t installed by default. I managed to find it and started the installation for it. However it returned a “can’t save firewall settings” error during the install. I remembered that I first tried to remote control by turning-on Remote Desktop Administration (which placed an exception for VNC in the firewall). I turned-off Remote Desktop Administration and was able to save the sshd setup. I still wasn’t able to get an SSH connection for NX.

I’ll check the sshd config using the above commands and possibly try turning off the OpenSUSE firewall. I’m learning as I go with Linux and don’t have much of an experience knowledgebase on which to rely. I appreciate your suggestions.

chkconfig showed sshd was off. I tried to turn it on using “/sbin/chkconfig sshd on” and got the following:
insserv: warning: script ‘K01nxserver’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script ‘K01nxsensor’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script ‘nxsensor’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script ‘nxserver’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: There is a loop between service stoppreload and boot.cleanup if started
insserv: loop involving service boot.cleanup at depth 3
insserv: loop involving service boot.localfs at depth 2
insserv: There is a loop at service stoppreload if started
insserv: There is a loop between service nxserver and boot.crypto if started
insserv: loop involving service boot.crypto at depth 1
:
:
insserv: Max recursions depth 99 reached
insserv: loop involving service xdm at depth 2
:
:
insserv: exiting without changing boot order!
/sbin/insserv failed, exit code 1

I’m going to remove the NX node/server/client and then try to turn-on sshd.

Thanks Malcolm for pointing me in the right direction. I uninstalled NX, then re-installed sshd and verified it was on. I was then able to successfully install NX. I am now connected from an XP box to the OpenSUSE 11.2 box (with firewall on). Now I can play around with this OpenSUSE machine without leaving my desk!

Is there a way to remotely access a specific OpenSUSE desktop/session? I’m logged in as UserA on the OpenSUSE 11.2 box. When I connect via NX from my XP box, I get a new desktop session. For remote support purposes, I’d like to be able to get access to the UserA desktop. Is this possible?

Hi
In Gnome you just need to enable the remote desktop via the Control
Center, then follow this guide;
http://www.nomachine.com/howto/vnc-session.php

up 1 day 18:29, 4 users, load average: 0.12, 0.14, 0.10

I’m using 11.2’s default desktop of KDE and getting “The NX service is not available or the NX access was disabled on host…” when I try to connect (I’ve enabled Remote Desktop).

Is this because I’ve already setup NX for remote access using public key or does KDE not support NX-to-VNC connections?

I’ll try to switch to the Gnome desktop to see if it works.