Access to Files

I just burned the latest Open-Suse and am working from the CD to test it. A problem I immediately found was that I can’t access my hard drive (access denied) or the files on my remote Windows XP computer.
I have a wired connections, and with other Linux distros I can freely access and write to those files.

You’ll have a better chance of an answer if you repost your query in the Networking Forum. Also search for swerdna and his Samba howto, that’s probably the first answer you will get.

To access the drives in the computer that’s running the live CD –> you need to mount the drives. The simplest way depends a bit on which CD you’re running. What is it (tell us the version of Suse 11.0, 11.1, 11.2? and whether it’s Gnome or KDE?).

Thanks for the reply. It’s 11.2, the one that came out yesterday, I think, and KDE.

Maybe you are confused.
Open terminal and type these, and post the result.

cat /etc/SuSE-release
kde4-config --version

OR

kde-config --version

This is not an contribution to your problem.

But we here at the forums try to improve the service the Forums give to all our users, those with problems and those who try to help. It is therefore that I ask you to tell why you decided to ask this question in the Forum

General Chit-Chat
A friendly place to converse about your adventures with openSUSE, your weekend, your boss, your new car, and generally stuff that doesn’t fit somewhere else (and we must ask: PLEASE do not post help questions here)

where it explicitly states: “PLEASE do not post help questions here”.

We want to know how we can explain better that one should go for one of the other forums with questions/problems. I hope it will be clear to you that at a forum dedicated to e.g. Install/Boot/Login those people that know most about this will, search for problems to tackle. Such for the benifit of those that have those problems.

Please be so kind: Why did you decide to aks here, where it is explicitly asked not to do so?

Here’s how to access filesystems with the live CD of openSUSE 11.2:

Open Dolphin file manager (bottom panel left hand side fourth icon from the left, looks like a file cabinet). In the left of the Dolphin GUI is a list of “Places”. They include all the partitions. Click any partition name and it should be mounted and should allow access.

Regarding Samba shares on remote computers: in the “Places” column in the Dolphin file manager you will see an icon labelled “Network”. Click that and then click the icon labelled “Samba Shares” in the right hand side.

I guess I posted here from ignorance, sheer ignorance. I apologize. I will try in the future to post any questions in the proper places. In any case, my question was answered and I’m sailing along with a following wind now and a clear day. Thanks.

Have a lovely trip…