A good audio recorder program ?

Hi all,

I wonder if some of you would give me a helping hand ? :wink:

I’m pretty new to opensuse, and running 11.4 (with which I’m very impressed, by the way:)).

I’m looking for a stable audio recorder program, which should be used for recording audio from the line-in jack.
The purpose of the setup would be recording broadcasts from a particular FM network, and since good sound quality is needed, ability to record in 128kbit ogg or even better would be highly appreciated.

The computer is planned to run 24/7, and so the program should be capable of splitting the recordings into “smaller” files, eg. named by the actual date.

If possible, if would be cool if the recorder would have an “auto-pause” feature, making it pause automatically whenever no audio was present (and automatically start recording again, once audio signal reappeared on the jack).

Any help, tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance !

Best regards,
Kim

Have a look at sox, or rather one of its alter egos, rec. man 1 sox.

thanks

I’ll check it out right away

Hi kimdelta, if the broadcast is streamed via web, then you can try Amarok as well. Through Amarok Settings / Scripts / additional scrips, pull in the “RecordStreams” plugin. This makes use of “streamripper” which can be installed via YAST - Softwaremanagement (source: Packman). That script reads in the stream and writes it to the HDD. If the station even provide tags for the stream then every title is saved as separate mp3 file named accordingly. Build a good music collection that way myself.

If you are not worried about using the terminal, streamripper can be used lightweight this way either. man streamripper will help with the options.

for recording (through line-in) with additional editing, Audacity is a good choice as well. It doesnt stream the record to the HDD so you would have to save the records manually.

Cheers…

Be sure to check out “arecorder” just for a CLI program that’s incredibly simple and powerful. The arecorder program is already installed on your system as part of the Alsa sound system. You can try a test recording with the command:

arecord -vv -f CD test.wav

oldcpu has written an excellent blog post on getting programs like arecord to work under Pulseaudio using the pavucontrol program:
Pulseaudio Basics for openSUSE with pavucontrol - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

SoX is a great looking CLI tool that is more specific to your job, in terms of splitting and merging files and turning off recording during moments of silence. An excellent article on how to use SoX is here:
The SoX of Silence

Good luck!

audacity was recently updated such that it now works with pulse audio.

After seeing someone’s video tutorial on pavucontrol and audacity on youtube, I tried out audacity for the first time in years. Its much easier to work with than it was a few years back. What is now neat is with pulse audio, in addition to using audacity to record from one’s mic, one can use audacity to record ANY audio that is streaming into one’s PC from the web.

Reference arecord, dependant on one’s PC setup, on my PC it does not always work well with pulse audio (one may simply get a 'device/resource busy when trying to record with arecord when pavucontrol is running) so some caution may be needed there so user’s are not frustrated if it does not appear in the pulse audio recording tab. I like arecord for basic recording, but when using something more advanced, I like to record with another application (currently I am playing with audacity).

But wrt arecord, when I use it, this is a typical command that I use:

arecord -vv -f S16_LE -c 2 -D hw:1,0 new.wav

where with ‘-f’ I specifiy the format ‘S16_LE’ and with ’ -c ’ I specify 2 channels. Some users may need ’ 1 ’ for 1-channel. The output file in this case is ‘new.wav’ and to stop the recording I press . One should pay CLOSE attention to arecord’s output errors as they are VERY informative. I also specify which microphone device to use, where in the above example I specified ’ -D ’ (for the device) ’ hw:1,0 ’ which is my webcam mic. I can get a list of devices by typing:

arecord -l

where that is a LOWER-CASE-L … and on my PC one can see:

oldcpu@corei7:~> arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
**card 0**: Intel [HDA Intel], **device 0**: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 3/3
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
**card 1**: U0x46d0x821 [USB Device 0x46d:0x821], **device 0**: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

with the convention hw:card,device, and in the example where ‘hw:0,0’ is my mother board (AD198x Analog) input mic jack, and hw:1,0 is my USB webcam mic. The various subdevices one can see under the motherboard device are the various front and rear jacks and line input, whose selection can be controlled in one’s mixer.

After seeing someone’s video tutorial on pavucontrol and audacity on youtube, I tried out audacity for the first time in years.

oldcpu - can you post the link to the Youtube video on using audacity with pavucontrol? I am having a horrible time with audacity. The whole design of the system seems very un-intuitive to me, and I keep making mistakes. It’s probably made for recording professionals, and makes perfect sense to them, but for me I’ve been having much better success with CLI tools.

On 01/15/2012 07:16 PM, andyprough wrote:
>
>> After seeing someone’s video tutorial on pavucontrol and audacity on
>> youtube, I tried out audacity for the first time in years.
>
> oldcpu - can you post the link to the Youtube video on using audacity
> with pavucontrol? I am having a horrible time with audacity. The whole
> design of the system seems very un-intuitive to me, and I keep making
> mistakes. It’s probably made for recording professionals, and makes
> perfect sense to them, but for me I’ve been having much better success
> with CLI tools.

There’s a number of good tutorials on the audacity web page. What in
particular are you having trouble with?

Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Its a very basic video, and its mostly NOT relevant to openSUSE. I do not encouter some of the KDE4 problems the user who made the video (for a Kbuntu desktop, I believe) encountered or chatted about.

But since you asked the video was looking at to use audacity with pavucontrol is here: Fixing KDE audio Problems using pavucontrol - YouTube

and note it does NOT explain how to use audacity. It is more about ‘pavucontrol’.

If you want to learn how to use audacity, just type ‘audacity’ into youtube’s search and you will obtain MANY hits, with videos about using audacity and NOT about pavucontrol.

… or simply ask a question and users like ‘atftb’ may be able to help (not me - I’m a rank beginner with audacity).

I’ve been having trouble with simple things - recording something and ending up with a file full of static. It’s my own fault, I haven’t read any manuals - I just jumped in and thought I could figure it out. I will watch and read the tutorials that you and oldcpu have suggested - I’m sure there’s just a few basic things I’m doing wrong.

This sounds like exactly what I need. But in my Amarok (2.4.0) there is no “Scripts” choice under “Settings”. Which version of Amarok are you using?

Thanks.

I am still at 2.4.3. havent updated to latest 2.5 yet. Here a picture of how it is in 2.4.3.

Bildschirmfoto1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But I remeber the script management at some point in time was outside the amarok main settings somewhere in the “Extra” pulldown menus. think you get the point anyway, just find the scripts management. I often just use the terminal with streamripper. its quick and light. also there is kstreamripper and others similar. you’ll find lot of them at kde-apps.org. the positive thing is that a lot of radio stations are web-streaming quite good quality by now - 128kbs ogg format or even better. Also the high cut at 15kHz as well as the whistle noises from FM or Sat stream is no longer there. For a while I prefer recording stuff like this through web-streams. for high quality stuff to keep i still by at local dealer.

PS: Did record via audacity like software since middle of 90’s via satellite card onto my PC. at the time mp3 just came in but it took my 486DX4-100 (8MB RAM) a whole night to save a 3 hours recording in mp3. Cant imagine that nowadays anymore but just came back to mind …

Cheers

Hi,
You can use Leawo Music Recorder](http://www.softwaredownloadcentre.com/software/leawo-musicrecorder.php) I have been using it over years and very satisfied with it. This recorder allow me to record any source audio whether it is Built-in microphone, Built-in Input…