802.11n

I’m using openSuse 13.2. I’m trying to use a wifi network that is setup with 802.11bgn. I’m also using the Network Manager. I get connected at about 50 % signal strength. A similar laptop gets about 90% but uses windows 10.
When I use the command " /usr/sbin/iwconfig ", the output says I’m using 802.11bgn. But when I click on the Network Manager and then click on the connection, it reports 802.11b/g. I’m not sure why that would be.

The reason I’m concerned with this is because the connection gets continuously dropped and then reconnected. I’m thinking it is because of the week signal. I’m also not sure if the 802.11n protocol is behind the week signal.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P875-S7200. The AP is an AMP PRO. It is using the 2.4 band.

I’m not sure why the two would show a desprepency, but I would trust the iwconfig output.

The reason I’m concerned with this is because the connection gets continuously dropped and then reconnected. I’m thinking it is because of the week signal. I’m also not sure if the 802.11n protocol is behind the week signal.

This could be due to the hardware driver in question. I know some recent drivers are still in development, and bugs may still be being ironed out. In particular, some don’t perform that well with 802.11n with Linux yet.

What wireless device and driver do you have?

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan

The devise is a Centrino Wireless-N 2200. It uses the iwlwifi driver. The AP is a Amped Pro and I’m not sure what model.

Might be a bug with Network Manager as far as reporting b/g in the details. I’ll have to check it on another network that never gave me a problem. I think that network uses a Cisco AP.

The AP is part of a semi private network for apartments. So if I get my laptop at line of sight to it with no walls, just glass, the signal will get 85 to 90% and no longer get dropped. But that is in a uncomfortable place so…

I’m just wondering why another persons Toshiba laptop would get a 90 to 95% signal thru the walls. Right where I use my laptop. That laptop is using a different driver. Probably from Intel. This laptop used to have windows but the hard drive went. I’m running Suse on an external usb hard drive with this one.

I once used this laptop as a router for my PC. I may try setting it at the window, and use it as a router for my PC again.

Will 802.11g and 802.11n get the same signal strength?

Also, after running hwinfo, it showed a number of channels/frequencies available. The AP is using 2.432 mhz. I’m not sure what it was on the other network. If there is a bug with the driver, maybe this is one of the frequencies that is bringing the bug out.

I’m just wondering why another persons Toshiba laptop would get a 90 to 95% signal thru the walls. Right where I use my laptop. That laptop is using a different driver. Probably from Intel. This laptop used to have windows but the hard drive went. I’m running Suse on an external usb hard drive with this one.

Some of the advice in this Ubuntu thread may be worth trying. I’ve seen similar reports elsewhere for those with hardware using this driver. It may be that upgrading the kernel and/or firmware yield improvements as well. You could test by using a live distro with a more recent kernel to compare behaviour. Your other option is to use a USB wireless adapter with a different chipset.