2 things. Amarok is messed up and I cant figure out how to set the desktop wallpaper

So when I’m in Amarok it takes a lot of clicking but i eventually just started dragging the whole folder into the playlist area. no matter what way I can figure out to get it to take my whole playlist amarok crashes. I think i must be doing something wrong trying to create a big shuffled playlist of all of my stuff. It just crashes.

Also. how do I change my desktop background into something i downloaded. Or is there a way to get more wallpapers stuff like that?

You still haven’t told us what Desktop Environment you are using.
Since you’re asking about Amarok, I’ll assume it is KDE.

Does it work if you drag only one or a few files?
Better don’t drag your whole collection to the playlist, use “Dynamic Playlists” instead:
Amarok - KDE UserBase Wiki (there are more tips on that page)

The Amarok manual: Amarok/Manual - KDE UserBase Wiki

And to be able to play all Multimedia stuff, see here: 13. Multimedia Codecs - Install Support For MP3, DVD, WMA, WMV, MOV etc.
Afterwards you could update Amarok to the version from Packman, that’s slightly newer and has some bugs fixed:
Enter YaST->Software Management, type “amarok” into the search field and press Enter. Then select the “amarok” package in the list on the right, click on “Versions” below that list and select the version from Packman.

If you would like to have a player that’s more like WinAMP, I would recommend to install “audacious” and use that.

Also. how do I change my desktop background into something i downloaded. Or is there a way to get more wallpapers stuff like that?

See here: openSUSE 12.3: Chapter 2. KDE Quick Start

I must have a different version i cant “Choose the Image option under Background image.” there are no options in my desktop app.

And the amarok link didn’t tell me how to add my music to the dynamic playlist. Im still stuck.

ok. cool. found the backgroud link thing. thx

Did you install the codecs?
Can you drag single files to the playlist and play?

Regarding Dynamic Playlists:
Just click on that dice and Amarok should fill your playlist randomly with songs from your collection. (it will add a new random one everytime a song is played completely)
See also here specifically: Amarok/Manual/Playlist/DynamicPlaylists - KDE UserBase Wiki

alright so the dynamic playlist didn’t work. Its not autopopulating and since amarok has never actually played a sound file it makes me wonder if its a codec BUT when I added stuff to the regular playlist a few folders at a time it lets me so I know theres something buggy there. Even then I think it would be worth it seeing what amarok can do. If I could get the dynamic playlist to pull anything that sounds like a winner too.

oh ya and I couldn’t figure out how to add the packman repositories it all said for 11.3 11.2 and 11.1… which doesnt make sense because im running 12.3

???
The link I gave you is for 12.3:
13. Multimedia Codecs - Install Support For MP3, DVD, WMA, WMV, MOV etc.

Click on that 1-click install button there and the Packman repo should be added to your system and all necessary codecs installed.

Ya it gives me an error. I think its saying that somethings got my process hung. ‘system management is locked by app with pid 13595’. How can I go into the terminal, find the process with that ID and kill it?

Whole thing is"An error occurred while initialzing the software repository. details Packman Repository |] Valid metadata not found at specified URL. History -Unknown error reading from ‘http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/opensus_12.3/’ then -system management is locked by the application with the pid 13595 (/use/lib/yast2/bin/y2base). Close this applications and try again.

Is there a better way to post these errors btw. I can screenshot and upload to the web if i need to. Whats the name of that site that lets you host your pictures and gives you url’s etc?

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 02:06:02 +0000, afb1302 wrote:

> Is there a better way to post these errors btw. I can screenshot and
> upload to the web if i need to. Whats the name of that site that lets
> you host your pictures and gives you url’s etc?

susepaste.org :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Suse paste Uploading failed!!!
Only gif|jpg|png|jpeg|svg files smaller then 2048k are allowed for this time interval. Allowed file size depends on expiration time.

My image is a png…

I think the error you are seeing is because some other app is looking for updates. Probably apper and you can’t have 2 apps updating at the same time. Do you have Yast-software management open? If so close it.

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 02:56:02 +0000, afb1302 wrote:

> Suse paste Uploading failed!!!
> Only gif|jpg|png|jpeg|svg files smaller then 2048k are allowed for this
> time interval. Allowed file size depends on expiration time.
>
> My image is a png…

Make the image smaller. If you have a 2 MB image to try to show this,
you should probably try trimming it and increasing the compression.

Or use one of the other myriad of free image hosting solutions - pastebin
is another.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Image shouldnt be big. I dont know how to see file sizes but it was only a screenshot of the error message.

I’m wondering if the process thats hanging up Yast updater also is the stray firefox is looking for plugins box… how do i find the process id in the terminal and kill it… im studying for my linux+ cert keep in mind.

i know its pid 13595

ok, I found the process and killed it. I’m still not sure about amarok but I’ll keep messing with it.

ok maybe not. I thought the codecs had installed but i was corrected. I have conflicts…

YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2013-11-10 00:10:49

k3b-codecs-2.0.2-17.12.x86_64 requires k3b = 2.0.2-17.12, but this requirement cannot be provided
uninstallable providers: k3b-2.0.2-17.12.i586[Packman Repository]
k3b-2.0.2-17.12.x86_64[Packman Repository]
] break k3b-codecs-2.0.2-17.12.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

] do not install k3b-codecs-2.0.2-17.12.x86_64

] Following actions will be done:

downgrade of k3b-2.0.2-26.1.2.x86_64 to k3b-2.0.2-17.12.x86_64
install k3b-2.0.2-17.12.x86_64 (with vendor change)
openSUSE → PackMan :: Startseite
] do not install k3b-codecs-2.0.2-17.12.x86_64

libxine2-codecs-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64 requires libxine2 = 1.2.3, but this requirement cannot be provided
uninstallable providers: libxine2-1.2.3-89.1.i586[Packman Repository]
libxine2-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64[Packman Repository]
] do not install libxine2-codecs-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64

] break libxine2-codecs-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

install libxine2-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64 (with vendor change)
install libxine2-pulse-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64 (with vendor change)

YaST2 conflicts list END

This is completely wrong. It should be “openSUSE_12.3”. Did you enter this manually?

And you can only ever have one package management application running at the same time. If YaST is already running, you cannot start it a second time.

Choose option 3. (highlighted in red)

libxine2-codecs-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64 requires libxine2 = 1.2.3, but this requirement cannot be provided
uninstallable providers: libxine2-1.2.3-89.1.i586[Packman Repository]
libxine2-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64[Packman Repository]

] break libxine2-codecs-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

install libxine2-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64 (with vendor change)
openSUSE –> PackMan :: Startseite
install libxine2-pulse-1.2.3-89.1.x86_64 (with vendor change)
openSUSE –> PackMan :: Startseite

Choose option 2.
But that’s mentioned at the page I pointed you to.