[12.3][mate] Installing only MATE desktop environment when installing openSuse

Is it possible to install only the MATE desktop environment when installing openSuse onto new hardware?

If possible, how would one achieve this?

I would like to have a clean system without having the clutter of unused desktop environments and their applications as a result of first installing another desktop environment.

Thanx for any advice.

PS: Not sure if this was the correct forum of two possible forums. Move if needed.

I don’t know if you have see this yet or not. I haven’t used MATE on my machine but there is some useful information here.
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:MATE
There is the option to select not KDE or Gnome on installation. There is a failsafe IceWM Desktop that is installed automatically, presumably in case you really bork your primary desktop you have something you can fall back on. I would recommend you just allow IceWM to be installed, then install MATE.

Hope that helps.

There are 2 possibilities to accomplish what you want. You’d need to add the MATE repo to the installation, so doing a net install would be the option to choose, then you can select the MATE packages/pattern. The second option would be to create your own openSUSE respin using susestudio. Either of these could work.

[QUOTE=The second option would be to create your own openSUSE respin using susestudio. Either of these could work.[/QUOTE]

I've tried to create an appliance having added X11:MATE repo, but the latter didn't offer any packages to install from it. So I see no way yet to add MATE desktop over the repo in the Studio. Any suggestions?

The second option would be to create your own openSUSE respin using susestudio. Either of these could work.

I've tried to create an appliance having added X11:MATE repo, but the latter didn't offer any packages to install from it. So I see no way yet to add MATE desktop over the repo in the Studio. Any suggestions?

Solved by adding X11:/MATE:/STABLE:/1.6/openSUSE_12.3 repo