12.2 Hard Freeze on login every time - Raw Install

I just updated my system from 12.1 to 12.2. I log in and KDE starts and runs just long enough for me to get firefox open to the home suse page and Yast to get to Repository Configuration so that I can start to add my repositories I need such as NVIDIA, KDE4.9, Packman, etc.

The system then hard locks. The mouse will move but that’s it, no keyboard response whatsoever. Only thing I can do is power off cold and hard. :frowning:

This happens every time regardless if I use my own login or login as root.

Of course I can’t find my 12.1 install disk so now I can’t even fall back. :frowning: Not a good Sunday afternoon here. :frowning:

I can’t even keep it running long enough once KDE is started to get to console to see what’s going on or logs.

Any help appreciated.

Perhaps you need to enter the kernel load option called nomodeset. That will switch the video driver you use and perhaps give you long enough to load the nVIDIA driver you want. I have a blog that shows you how to enter the load option of 3, but imagine instead you enter nomodeset. Here is the blog:

How to Start openSUSE 12.2 with Grub 2 into Run Level 3 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

When you enter the ‘e’ command to edit, the resulting screen default colors are kind of hard to read. Do your best and see if this helps.

Thank You,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You are a genius.

I’m glad you included the blog post, I would have been lost with out it. The colors on that edit screen on default is extremely difficult to read for sure.

I added the NVIDIA repository, updated the driver and rebooted. My main monitor was sane again and the system did not hang. I then copied the backup of my xorg.conf.d directory back to /etc/X11 (I saved the original install version first just in case) to get my dual monitor configuration back and rebooted. All appears to be well again.

Thank you so much. You have improved my Sunday immensely.

If there is one thing for sure, I love to hear about a success story. Thank you for sharing it with us. It makes the efforts we spend here worth it. I have some other suggestions you should consider. Have a look at this blog:

openSUSE 12.2 Bash Script Download Bonanza! with Bash Script Loader - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

This allows you to download some 20 or so bash scripts. Some you may not need or want to use. But the ones I highly recommend are as follows:

For working with the new grub 2: GNU Grub2 Command Help/Config Editor - Version: 1.85 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

To edit those many system files owned by root: SYSEdit - System File Editor - Version 1.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

To create your own bash scripts: N.S.F. - New Script File, Bash Script File Header Creator - Version 2.81 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Have a great day and let us know if you need any other help.

Thank You for using openSUSE,