11.4 samba server setup and logfile verbosity

setting up the server was done thru yast2 and went without a hitch, but now /var/log/messages gets flooded every 2min with:

dhclient: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 118590ms.

also, in the /var/log/samba/log.smbd there is repetitive entries of:

[2011/08/07 19:59:54.069338, 1] smbd/server.c:282(remove_child_pid)
Could not find child 21176 – ignoring

which is something that was discussed in another thread here a couple months ago, as i recall changes were going to be made in package build to reduce which errors would be logged. i think the packages in the network:samba repo were updated and perhaps not the standard repos?

this is a new install on a test machine with current updates, any help would be appreciated.

There is a known problem with Samba nmb, openSUSE 11.4 and AppArmor. Did you see the following thread?

11.4 samba won’t run

I also discovered that updating the kernel to 2.6.38, 2.6.38 or 3.0.1 all stopped the nmb problem as well. As to the errors in /var/log/messages, I do not see these at all. As to /var/log/samba/log.smbd errors, I do see these errors listed as stated. If you are into looking at error log files, try my script file called slave. You can find it here in message #11:

S.L.A.V.E. - SuSE Logfile Automated Viewer Engine - Version 2.00 - Page 2

Thank You,

the /var/log/message entries that start out “dhclient XMP Solicit…” come from enabling ipv6… if ipv6 is disabled they disappear.

the entries in log.smbd about lost child processes went away after i updated samba to the packages in the network:/samba/STABLE repo. didn’t have to change anything else. my memory is not what it used to be, but earlier this year there was some discussion in this forum about the same thing and some change in options for logging during the package build for samba was supposedly needed.

this doesn’t explain why you are not seeing the same however in either situation, so i’m still a bit unclear.

as far as your comment about apparmor, i do recall seeing those posts, and although apparmor is enabled smbstatus returns correctly, but i will check further… thanks for reminding me.

i have not used your logfile viewer, i am currently using multitail to capture several different logs then parse away known “business-as-usual” entries and give me the uncommon events… is there other benefits to your tool?

the /var/log/message entries that start out “dhclient XMP Solicit…” come from enabling ipv6… if ipv6 is disabled they disappear.

the entries in log.smbd about lost child processes went away after i updated samba to the packages in the network:/samba/STABLE repo. didn’t have to change anything else. my memory is not what it used to be, but earlier this year there was some discussion in this forum about the same thing and some change in options for logging during the package build for samba was supposedly needed.

this doesn’t explain why you are not seeing the same however in either situation, so i’m still a bit unclear.

as far as your comment about apparmor, i do recall seeing those posts, and although apparmor is enabled smbstatus returns correctly, but i will check further… thanks for reminding me.

i have not used your logfile viewer, i am currently using multitail to capture several different logs then parse away known “business-as-usual” entries and give me the uncommon events… is there other benefits to your tool?

So I have been using a newer kernel version (up to 3.1-rc1 now) which for some reason does not have the nmb problem and does not require any change to AppArmor though I do not know why. I might also look to upgrade Samba to see if that does anything for me. As for the script slave, it is simple enough for anyone that is not all that familiar with the many logs, log names, log locations and just how to view the logs and if you need to be root to do so. The more you know about how to use logs, the less you might need the script, but like all such things, the price is right and you can’t have too many tools. You can have tools around you can’t remember what they do of course.

Thank You,