Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Hardware detection fails

  1. #1

    Default Hardware detection fails

    I don't think I have an exotic laptop since 42.3 installed fine on it.

    Leap 15 hangs at hardware detection.

    How do I get a verbose dump so I can watch to see what it fails on?
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    hi,

    my installation also hangs at or right after the hardware detection (TP W520). It worked with a beta version of Leap 15 (end of december). And it still works with Tumbleweed. Behaviour ist not consistent, sometimes hardware detection seems to run endless. (Error)-Messages are the same in Tumbleweed and LEAP 15.

    greetings

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,698
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    Quote Originally Posted by d3vnull View Post
    I don't think I have an exotic laptop since 42.3 installed fine on it.

    Leap 15 hangs at hardware detection.

    How do I get a verbose dump so I can watch to see what it fails on?
    During installation? See if this helps...

    https://tr.opensuse.org/SDB:Installa...ware_detection
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    During installation? See if this helps...

    https://tr.opensuse.org/SDB:Installa...ware_detection
    Thank you that gets me into the non-GUI install. I'm to tired to see whether or not it blows up my system at 12 midnight.

    I will say the documentation is confusing. Since I have a grub2 with UEFI install I read section 2.2.2 on this page:

    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati....screen.kernel

    The last sentence of that section says:

    A complete list of parameters is available at http://en.opensuse.org/Linuxrc

    That page had hwdetect=0 which linuxefi gladly ignored.

    But, when it said a "complete list" my literal translation was section 2.3 was legacy boot. Apparently that is not the case.

    Thank you again. I will see if the non-GUI approach works when I have the energy. Since, the latest 42.3 kernel (I believe 132) lacks firmware for my bluetooth that worked in kernel 4.4.126-48 a re-install of 42.3 probably won't be an option if 15 fails.

    I know I could do an upgrade, but I'd rather chase issues on a clean install than an upgrade.
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    Had similar problems installing 15.0. The installation screen stopped with the progressing green line without any error messages.
    With editing the boot lines, I added acpi=off and that allowed the installation.
    15.0 did boot, but still only with acpi=off and therefore several problems in hardware detection,
    like disabling my USB 2.0 ports (3.0 ports did work), screen too bright,...
    I finally removed the acpi=off addition in the boot lines and installed a community kernel 4.16 together with a newer kernel-firmware package.
    With this new kernel acpi=off isn't needed any more for booting and the hardware seems to work as with 42.3.

    In my case the regression to kernel 4.12 under OpenSUSE 15.0 seemed to create problems, I hadn't had with all prior openSUSE versions.
    Backported Spectre and Meltdown patches might cause these?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Brunolab View Post
    Had similar problems installing 15.0. The installation screen stopped with the progressing green line without any error messages.
    With editing the boot lines, I added acpi=off and that allowed the installation.
    15.0 did boot, but still only with acpi=off and therefore several problems in hardware detection,
    like disabling my USB 2.0 ports (3.0 ports did work), screen too bright,...
    I finally removed the acpi=off addition in the boot lines and installed a community kernel 4.16 together with a newer kernel-firmware package.
    With this new kernel acpi=off isn't needed any more for booting and the hardware seems to work as with 42.3.

    In my case the regression to kernel 4.12 under OpenSUSE 15.0 seemed to create problems, I hadn't had with all prior openSUSE versions.
    Backported Spectre and Meltdown patches might cause these?
    Thanks. That doesn't give me much confidence of success. The Leap 42.3 132 kernel update also had the Spectre V4 patch. I am currently having to avoid that kernel.
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,093

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    Quote Originally Posted by d3vnull View Post
    That page had hwdetect=0 which linuxefi gladly ignored.
    This has nothing to do with linuxefi. Option was interpreted by linuxrc, but it had been removed 12 years ago. Care to open bug report (or file issue on github)?

    As far as I can tell, today there is no way to skip hardware detection by linuxrc.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    This has nothing to do with linuxefi. Option was interpreted by linuxrc, but it had been removed 12 years ago. Care to open bug report (or file issue on github)?

    As far as I can tell, today there is no way to skip hardware detection by linuxrc.
    I'm happy to open a bug on the incorrect documentation. However, my google foo is failing and I cannot find any "correct" documentation. I would feel bad submitting a bug without a pointer to the correct documentation. For that matter I would be happy to fix the page myself if I could fine a correct list of parameters for linuxefi. or understood the issue better.
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,093

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    Quote Originally Posted by d3vnull View Post
    IFor that matter I would be happy to fix the page myself if I could fine a correct list of parameters for linuxefi.
    Once again - it has absolutely nothing to do with linuxefi.

    https://github.com/openSUSE/linuxrc/blob/master/file.c

    You will need to dig into sources to actually find out what each keyword does.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Hardware detection fails

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Once again - it has absolutely nothing to do with linuxefi.

    https://github.com/openSUSE/linuxrc/blob/master/file.c

    You will need to dig into sources to actually find out what each keyword does.
    Thank you for the link.
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •