Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE tumbleweed: How I rescued Plymouth

Default openSUSE tumbleweed: How I rescued Plymouth

Added to Yast Repositories: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SE_Tumbleweed/
    Then in Yast Software Management, you type Plymouth, and all that is related to it (libply-boot-client4, libply-splash-core4, libply-splash-graphics4, libply4, plymouth, plymouth-dracut, plymouth-plugin-label-ft , plymouth-plugin-script, plymouth-scripts), installing versions 0.9.2-4.1 from the above-mentioned repositories.
    Then you type mkinitrd into Terminal, then reboot.

Afterwards, the above installed packages in Yast label: Protected - Do Not Modify.
    Then, you can turn off the above Repositories (mrbadguy).
    And that is it!
    You will no longer have a gray background and three green dice, but a nice new Plymouth.
    I was installed nVidia drivers from the official nVidia Tumbleweed Repositories.

Sorry for my Google Translate English
    I hope I helped you
    Hello,

Default Re: openSUSE tumbleweed: How I rescued Plymouth

Thanks for posting - I will give that a go tonight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by l4k1 View Post
    Added to Yast Repositories: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SE_Tumbleweed/
    Then in Yast Software Management, you type Plymouth, and all that is related to it (libply-boot-client4, libply-splash-core4, libply-splash-graphics4, libply4, plymouth, plymouth-dracut, plymouth-plugin-label-ft , plymouth-plugin-script, plymouth-scripts), installing versions 0.9.2-4.1 from the above-mentioned repositories.
    Then you type mkinitrd into Terminal, then reboot.

Afterwards, the above installed packages in Yast label: Protected - Do Not Modify.
    Then, you can turn off the above Repositories (mrbadguy).
    And that is it!
    You will no longer have a gray background and three green dice, but a nice new Plymouth.
    I was installed nVidia drivers from the official nVidia Tumbleweed Repositories.

Sorry for my Google Translate English
    I hope I helped you
    Hello,
    That's an OSB user's homedir. These repos are experimental, and things will break, since that is what these repos are for: a place to break things. Use at your own risk.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Version 0.9.2-4.1 of these applications was previously in regular repositories, when Plymouth worked. These new versions have led to Plymouth not working. The situation is the same with Leap.
    Also, all these applications with version 0.9.2-4.1 can be put into their own Local Repo. Priority 50.
    Will there ever be a problem?

Worked fine for me. Thanks very much for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by l4k1 View Post
    Will there ever be a problem?
    At some point other packages required by this version may be updated requiring this version rebuild (and this is not even possible in this repository, plymouth has not been built for over a year). Then the only choice will be to remove it.

If someone can reliably reproduce the problem on version update it would be really helpful to do bisect to find out exact commit that caused it.

I have heard that there is work on the code for kernel 4.17 and higher so that the bootsplash will be added to the kernel.
    Therefore Plymouth will no longer be required. Yes SUSE stopped working on the mainline kernel but openSUSE will be working on it.

This I heard on the openSUSE Factory ML.
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 52.2 - Plasma 5.18.9
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.22
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

Has anyone tried yet?
    Whether it works?

Plymouth does not work in any way with the Nvidia drivers installed. Of this I'm never worried, but if it works it would be nice
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Try it. Three minutes of work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast