Mozilla repository

Is the Mozilla repository
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/
actually now “Factory” since around first openSUSE Leap version?

Where do Firefox updates come from? Is it OSS now or still from the aforementioned repo like always?

If you don’t add any extra repositories, Firefox is from the OSS and updates come from the Main Updates repo.

TSU

Then what’s the Mozilla repository above mentioned for?

Hi
A testing repo since there are various (build, gtk, maybe others) issues with the later releases so Leap and Tumbleweed are still on the 52.x releases…

A testing repo? So it really went “Factory”? Back in the 13.x times it was a stable repo!
So for getting future updates and stable Firefox releases, will it be only from Main Updates and OSS repos from now on? The repo link I mentioned is no longer what it used to be? So I should no longer use this repo then?

On Thu 10 Aug 2017 06:06:02 PM CDT, F style wrote:

A testing repo? So it really went “Factory”? Back in the 13.x times it
was a stable repo!
So for getting future updates and stable Firefox releases, will it be
only from Main Updates and OSS repos from now on? The repo link I
mentioned is no longer what it used to be? So I should no longer use
this repo then?

Hi
I think the factory one was created as a temporary solution to feed
Tumbleweed with the 52.x series until they can sort issues with the
newer version.

You can use whatever repo you like, no one is going to stop you :wink: If
something breaks and you want to create a bug report you may have
issues though.

Again, it boils down to what you want, or put another way what does the
package from repo X give you that doesn’t come from the standard
oss/non-oss repo. Remember security and bugs get fixed in the
standard repos, just new features aren’t added.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.74-18.20-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

In short, will this repository
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/
be used for new stable Firefox versions and/or some security updates again someday, or has it gone “Factory”-like for good?
I just want to be able to get future new stable releases and updates for Firefox whenever there are, just like my old times. If it has gone Factory-like for good then it means it’s useless and worthless to add this repo, but I’d like to know.

Excuse me, hello?

Please be patient. We’re all volunteers, and those that can advise on a particular topic may be busy with other things, including sleeping, working etc.

On Fri 11 Aug 2017 03:36:02 AM CDT, deano ferrari wrote:

F_style;2833769 Wrote:
> Excuse me, hello?
Please be patient. We’re all volunteers, and those that can advise on a
particular topic may be busy with other things, including sleeping,
working etc.

Hi
Yup, Family and pets… plus also working on shellinabox and
RPi-Monitor packages (Customizing for SLES at the moment)…

@F_Style, I would imagine once they get the 55.x series sorted and
into Tumbleweed things will revert back… in the mean time I suggest
stick with the oss repo.

Note that at least the TW team is about to switch from ESR to the stable branch of Firefox.
https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/6szxr8/next_steps_for_firefox_on_tw/

I don’t know how that will affect Leap though.

On Fri 11 Aug 2017 04:00:51 AM CDT, malcolmlewis wrote:

[QUOTE]
On Fri 11 Aug 2017 03:36:02 AM CDT, deano ferrari wrote:

F_style;2833769 Wrote:
> Excuse me, hello?
Please be patient. We’re all volunteers, and those that can advise on a
particular topic may be busy with other things, including sleeping,
working etc.

Hi
Yup, Family and pets… plus also working on shellinabox and
RPi-Monitor packages (Customizing for SLES at the moment)…

@F_Style, I would imagine once they get the 55.x series sorted and
into Tumbleweed things will revert back… in the mean time I suggest
stick with the oss repo.

[/QUOTE]
Hi
@F_Style, you might want to keep an eye on the Mailing List thread;

I apologize beforehand if it’s necro-posting; I’m still not sure how long is considered necro-posting here…

I read again the whole mailing list thread; the discussion seems certainly long over since there are no new messages. They seemingly were not able to solve anything, no answer for whether switch to latest stable Firefox, stay with ESR, or both in parallel.

Just wanted to ask, how’s Firefox status as for now? Will openSUSE Mozilla repository remain in “factory-unstable” state until a decision is made?

Thanks.

The status as I understand it (based on factory mailing list) is:

Tumbleweed is now at firefox version 56, and will continue with the latest release;

Leap 42.3 is still on firefox-esr, and will continue on firefox-esr for as long as 42.x is supported.

And now there are going to be people, like me, who have been running both Tumbleweed and Leap on different partitions, and sharing firefox. So either we have to stop sharing, or we need to install firefox-esr on Tumbleweed, or we need to install firefox-56 on Leap. My preference would be firefox-56 on leap, if there is a way of doing that.

Was it always Leap’s policy to use Firefox ESR instead of upstream?
Did Mozilla repository use to actually host ESR packages, except recently that went factory for Tumbleweed?

I don’t think so. I seem to recall that we were using the latest until there were build issues with it.

Did Mozilla repository use to actually host ESR packages, except recently that went factory for Tumbleweed?

I’m just a user. I do not have any special inside knowledge. And I have not been regularly checking what’s in the mozilla repo.

there was/is a firefox-esr package in the Mozilla repo
https://software.opensuse.org/package/firefox-esr
it was there before the Firefox 55 came out and broke a few things (the profile was changed and became version uncompatable) it was then that opensuse decided to stay in esr for the time being
@nrickert are you sharing profiles between LEAP and TW using some sort of sync utility you could use Firefox’s build in sync and you can continue using both esr and rolling on TW and LEAP I know it’s a security hole but most sync tools are at least mozilla’s is open sourced and hopefully someone outside of mozilla has seen and evaluated the code
about Firefox 56 I’ve been using it on LEAP from the mozilla repo since Firefox 55 came out and the only issue I have is java’s dependency on Firefox which needs Firefox and the choices zypper gives is keep old Firefox remove Firefox remove java or risk it and break dependency, I broke that dependency and had no issues java still works but there is no java in Firefox

My major concern is my laptop, where Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed are in different partitions. But I share “$HOME/.mozilla” between them (with a symlink). This has worked pretty well in the past.

I know I can work around by duplicating the “.mozilla” tree, maybe calling one version “.mozilla-esr” and changing the symbolic link to match. But that messes up sharing cookies, bookmarks, etc. It would be easier if I could use version 56 on both.

I didn’t think of that I thought it was 2 different machines
about esr I remember reading in the mailing groups a plan about patching the code to use .mozilla-esr instead of .mozilla so both releases could coexist I’m not sure if it was implemented, anyway I’ve been using the mozilla build since LEAP switched to esr and had no issues

Thanks. Yes, I could try that.