Network interfaces names displayeed between issue text and login prompt

On my machine, each virtual terminal, there’s displayed names of network interfaces. It is displayed between issue text and question about login name. Is this behavior correctly?

I have seen another thread about his.

Thanks. Can you give me link to that thread?

I remember that. When I had that link available, I would have posted it. I have to search for it, like you have to.

This is actually pretty normal on server distributions, would make sense to have it on TW as well as it makes things a lot easier on a glance.

I noticed the same too.

This is explicitly defined in /etc/issue, which itself is dynamically generated when interfaces are added/removed. So yes, it behaves as intended.

I think that is a bit a short explanation. Intended by who?

This seems to be something new. Thus the intention was invented not to long ago (/etc/issue does exist for ten of year already and it was definitely not dynamically generated, but had a default value at installation, to be edited by the system manager when wanted).

It was here New login prompt after update? - Install/Boot/Login - openSUSE Forums although it went largely unanswered, I’d been watching that thread as was curious about it myself.

Thanks for cross posting the links.

Whoever added this (mandatory) package to Factory:
https://software.opensuse.org/package/issue-generator

# /etc/issue is no longer a default file, but is auto-generated at bootup
Requires:       issue-generator

Isn’t that a potential security issue? Revealing the IP address to someone who hasn’t even logged in?

On my system only interface names are displayed, not settings. Maybe it behaves in this way, because I have laptop with WiFi card.

What security issue would that be?

TW defaults to “None in, all out” firewall so no one from the outside can do anything to the box and if they do run services, you can nmap the box anyway. Someone having physical access to your box and seeing the screen represents a fair bit larger ‘security concern’ than this.

…I have IPv6 disabled EVERYWHERE, on TW and on DHCP-server/router but in this line (it came with kernel 4.10 sometimes…) I see interface, IP for v4 AND v6.

I don’t want ANY IPv6, how to disable this completely (tried wicked and networkmanager)? :frowning:

In the other thread I have explained that it shows the IP address too: New login prompt after update? - Install/Boot/Login - openSUSE Forums

If we follow that logic we may directly display root password too. After all - with physical access you can hack many things differently. However this is a limited case.

I hope you will agree it is surely easier to attack an IP address which is known. Also having a terminal which shows a login does not mean you have physical access to the box. The box may be locked in a safe room with 100 other machines and you may have only keyboard and monitor in your hands. Surely running tools to identify a particular machine in the network will be an added step to start attempts to break into any of the machines. I may be wrong but… just thinking.

IMHO it s a typical case of someone who thinks this is something he likes and thus by implication assumes that everybody will like it. And thus forces it on the world.

At one side one could say: why what are those few superfluous lines bothering you (but some above have very legal reasons to bother imo).
On the other side, when this is really useful to display to a not even loged in user, why not display the whole hwconfig?

In any case, that TW (or any other openSUSE version) has the firewall switched on by default is not an argument that impresses me much. System Managers can have different firewall configs (or switched off) already for years, but now they are presented with this from one moment to the other.

Only thing I can say is that getting such surprises may be a part of TW experience and I hope that this will either be reversed before the next stable release of openSUSE comes out. Or at least that is the thoroughly published, including a way to switch the behaviour off.

I don’t, because it’s not.

Knowing an IP address means nothing - at most you can use that information to knock someone offline and since literally everyone nowadays apart from companies uses a dynamic/floating IP, that’s equally pointless.

Well, even if it was that simple - I prefer not to be knocked out.

It won’t unless someone will open bug report and discussion on factory list.

Or at least that is the thoroughly published, including a way to switch the behaviour off.

As it stands now, disable udev rule:

ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/90-issue-generator.rules

But do not forget that it will disable all rules in this file, so if some future version will extend it, extension won’t be effective either.

P.S. OK, in principle

touch /etc/issue.d/70-*interface*.conf

should do it as well (for each interface).

… too much of a generalization, Miuku. :wink:

In Canada, it seems, the majority of ISPs are set up to keep that Dynamic IP quite static for many months at a time. I have been at this same IP since 07/31/2016, even though it is a supposedly “Dynamic” IP address. I had the prior address for close to two years. The change last July was because of an outage and a switch to an alternate DHCP Server as a result.

This happens throughout much of the U.S., as well, though I cannot give any observations on other countries or the rest of the world.

But, I do know that many of the hackers and spammers I am continually defending against on my websites have been coming from the same IP addresses for years.

… so, thought I would toss you this curve. lol!